Note 5 Battery life thread

Venom0642

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I'd be all up on this phone if I could guarantee your battery life. I've been watching this thread cause I returned three S6 phones, and I just don't know if I feel confident in the note 5 battery life. I'm jealous of 2 hours at 100%!
Look for some of my post go back a bit you will see how amazing battery life i have on my Note 5 AT&T

rpoli86

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
My phone was at 100% when I walked in the office an hour ago...I've opening FB once for a second. I'm down to 91% on WIFI wtf??? I dont get it, what can I do to fix this?

Venom0642

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
As I posted before gsam was giving me battery drain. After removing the phone battery is great. Just like the other posters I can be at 100% for 2 hours.

You need to check the apps your using to see if they're causing the battery drain.

View attachment 207798View attachment 207799

Posted via Note 5 64GB AT&T
I never used GSam heard it's a battery killer by lots in XDA, so i never had to use that app.

linkiik121

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I never used GSam heard it's a battery killer by lots in XDA, so i never had to use that app.

Good choice you don't need it and it does impact battery life.
You also have very good battery life like me and very little drain.

On a side note how it's your reception?
I have AT&T as you do and my signal is almost always low three bars max and I thankfully I still have good battery life. Curious, what the battery life would be like if I had 5 bars or is that even possible on AT&T LTE.

Venom0642

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Good choice you don't need it and it does impact battery life.
You also have very good battery life like me and very little drain.

On a side note how it's your reception?
I have AT&T as you do and my signal is almost always low three bars max and I thankfully I still have good battery life. Curious, what the battery life would be like if I had 5 bars or is that even possible on AT&T LTE.

At home i get 3 to 4 bars, out in town or work i get all 5 bars and at home I'm always on wifi never had any network issues so all is great.

Venom0642

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
At home i get 3 to 4 bars, out in town or work i get all 5 bars and at home I'm always on wifi never had any network issues so all is great.
I am at work now i use my 4G LTE and look all 5 bars are up , and i work 10 hours a day
e52824a84cfe7aca214b6cb3bab34cf9.jpg

linkiik121

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I am at work now i use my 4G LTE and look all 5 bars are up , and i work 10 hours a day
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20151130/e52824a84cfe7aca214b6cb3bab34cf9.jpg

Hmmm, I'm in NYC and the only time I see 5 bars is when it's not really on LTE. I realized this when I did a speed test and my speed is faster at 3 bars than 5. So I downloaded an app call LTE discovery and it shows that the LTE sign is on but the 5 bars are coming from GSM. That explained the lower speed.

I guess Wyoming is a better state for att

TheMatrix31

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Does Gsam really have that much of an impact? Today's stats show me at Gsam only using 0.2 percent. Would that be reflected in the Android System percentage at all?

The discrepancy in on-screen time in the pics I posted a few posts ago from yesterday must be from a restart because my on-screen time today in Gsam and in the main battery stats are basically the same. 47 minutes or so and I'm at 60 percent battery left after being off the charger for about 10.5 hours. Not bad hours-wise but again, barely any screen time or not nearly as much as everyone else's stats lend me to believe I should be getting.

linkiik121

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Does Gsam really have that much of an impact? Today's stats show me at Gsam only using 0.2 percent. Would that be reflected in the Android System percentage at all?

The discrepancy in on-screen time in the pics I posted a few posts ago from yesterday must be from a restart because my on-screen time today in Gsam and in the main battery stats are basically the same. 47 minutes or so and I'm at 60 percent battery left after being off the charger for about 10.5 hours. Not bad hours-wise but again, barely any screen time or not nearly as much as everyone else's stats lend me to believe I should be getting.

Yes, gsam did have a very bad impact on my battery.

As for the battery life your getting it is very bad for the Note 5. You need to disable everything and see how the battery life is without any apps draining.

Then comes the question on the reception your getting? That would cause a big drain.

Last edited:

TheMatrix31

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Yes, gsam did have a very bad impact on my battery.

As for the battery life your getting is very bad for the Note 5. You need to disable everything and see how the battery life is without any apps draining.

Then comes the question on the reception your getting? That would cause a big drain.

Interesting. I have Package Disabler and have most things disabled. All the Knox stuff and ANT stuff, most of the extra Google stuff, too.

Reception is good. Nothing amazing. 3-4 bars of 4g on Sprint when I'm at home with wifi. Only time reception might dip are on my drive to and from work. It's about a half hour drive.

Last edited:

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. I have Package Disabler and have most things disabled. All the Knox stuff and ANT stuff, most of the extra Google stuff, too.

Reception is good. Nothing amazing. 3-4 bars of 4g on Sprint when I'm at home with wifi. Only time reception might dip are on my drive to and from work. It's about a half hour drive.

Maybe something you deactivated with Package Disabler is having a negative impact?
I was at 6 hours SOT after 16 hours off charger yesterday before I hit 15% remaining.
Took the boy to see Santa so I tossed it on the charger just to be sure I had more than enough juice for any photo ops that may come.

From my Platinum Gold Note 5

RC51 RIDER

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
I lose 1% every 3 hrs on my Note 5 on standby is that OK?

Posted via the Android Central App RC51 RIDER W/ NOTE 5

Attachments

• 9076.jpg
    9076.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 109

Venom0642

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Maybe something you deactivated with Package Disabler is having a negative impact?
I was at 6 hours SOT after 16 hours off charger yesterday before I hit 15% remaining.
Took the boy to see Santa so I tossed it on the charger just to be sure I had more than enough juice for any photo ops that may come.

Maybe if you add what you got deactivated might help him and what provider your phone is, just a thought.

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Today was my first "normal" day with the Note 5. Normal for me means getting up around 8 am, spending a little time on my phone, then heading into work around 120 pm. The main difference in my day is that since I work in a state prison, my phone sets in my car for 8.5 to 9 hours while I'm inside work. Very happy to report that I walked into work with 93% battery and still had 87% when I walked out, meaning a drain of only 6% for the 8.5 hours my phone set unused in my car.
That's right in line with my Droid Turbo, which of course had a larger battery, so 6% drain on it was actually more mah lost than on the Note.

zaayer

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
I updated the phone software yesterday (don't know the version number, but it was my 2nd update since I bought the phone about 3 weeks ago). The details said it brings "stability" and "security enhancements" to the phone. I decided to update because I have been having occasional strutting of the phone where it would hang for about 5-7 seconds and then be OK again. I thought it would fix it! Alas, not only did it not fix the hanging issue, it ruined my battery life!!

Since the update, the battery life has been degraded a lot! Before I used to have a good 7 hours sleep with just 1-2% battery drain max, but now last night, it dropped 7% (from 100%) (almost 1% every hour without use!!!). Also, previously I had instances where after 1-2 hours of no use, I would have a 0% drop in battery life! Not anymore!
While using the device, even after a minimal use of 5 minutes, the drain can be as much as 4%! I'm devastated by what Samsung have done with the update! I installed GSam to monitor battery. It shows the culprit as being "Android System" using about 25% of the battery.

Any suggestions for me guys?
P.S: I have the International Version of Note 5 - N920C