Smart Select has been Downgraded.

chobits

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I was just telling my wife about this last night. I wish there was a way to get it back. I have so many old "notes" in my old scrapbook from my previous Notes that are pretty much useless because I need to get to the text and not a screen shot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

or maybe you can do text copy on the screenshot?
worth a try
maybe this is the new feature

copy everything! lol

emcknight23

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I was just telling my wife about this last night. I wish there was a way to get it back. I have so many old "notes" in my old scrapbook from my previous Notes that are pretty much useless because I need to get to the text and not a screen shot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

For you, the Optical Reader app would work since you have screen shots. Does the same thing. Just have to upload the screen shots in the app

m2iceman

Oct 8, 2009
Visit site
Image Select is also gone. Take an image and manually crop out the picture and then save it to scrapbook. I used this feature on every other version on the Note, now not so much on Note 5. Only 3 modes of cropping, I hope an update fixes that.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Image Select is also gone. Take an image and manually crop out the picture and then save it to scrapbook. I used this feature on every other version on the Note, now not so much on Note 5. Only 3 modes of cropping, I hope an update fixes that.

It's now called Smart Select.

Posted via the *Note 5*

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I found another alternative for OCR on photos.
I nice app called Office Lens, from Microsoft.

You can use it to scan documents or take screenshot of white boards and if you save as pdf it will apply OCR.

Open the pdf with Hancom and you will be able to copy any text.
I found that Hancom app is very nice as well. You can take notes on the pdf.

The office lens app is very nice, and you can use it to scan documents as well.

Posted via the Android Central App

So how do I save the screen shot as a pdf in OneNote ? It didn't give me that option that I could see. It's just saved as a screen shot or photo.

Posted via the *Note 5*

m2iceman

Oct 8, 2009
Visit site
I understand its now called Smart Select, what i referring to was the ability to manually crop a picture, it was called Image Clip. Smart Select now has only 3 modes to crop and its not the same as previous versions. With Image Clip u could trace the image u wanted and then save into scrapbook for future use. Not anymore unless an updaye brings it back.

Last edited:

emcknight23

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I understand its now called Smart Select, what i referring to was the ability to manually crop a picture, it was called Image Select. Smart Select now has only 3 modes to crop and its not the same as previous versions. With Image select u could trace the image u wanted and then save into scrapbook for future use. Not anymore unless an updaye brings it back.

with Smart Select, if you choose Lasso, you can trace the image u want and then save it to a scrapbook.

Cory S

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I am really missing this feature too. I used it all the time. It was really nice when someone sent you an address via text but then typed a message in the same text. You could just smart select the address and quickly jump into maps. Or when viewing a website that had their address or phone number in an image, instead of selectable text. Sure you can screenshot it, and use an OCR app, but at that point it would be more efficient to just do it manually.

BarryH_GEG

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm kind of confused. Smart Select was performing OCR. Optical Reader performs OCR. The latter defaults to the camera to take a pic but if you expand the little arrow at the top it gives you the option of opening an existing picture. So anything you have on your Note 5 that's in a supported pic format can be OCR'd. What else did Smart Select do that I'm missing? Did it support non-pic files like PDF?

ccpopham

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm kind of confused. Smart Select was performing OCR. Optical Reader performs OCR. The latter defaults to the camera to take a pic but if you expand the little arrow at the top it gives you the option of opening an existing picture. So anything you have on your Note 5 that's in a supported pic format can be OCR'd. What else did Smart Select do that I'm missing? Did it support non-pic files like PDF?

What is optical reader?

emcknight23

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site

PDF, Web pages, text messages. Anything with text in them. On the fly, not screenshooting or pic uploading. Anything on your current screen you are on.

joejkd82

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site
I seriously bought a note 5 for this feature and action memo. I had no idea they would dumb the phone down when I bought it.

My wife has a note 4 and I was expecting at least the same feature set. Guess I should've waited On this one. Any chance they'll add this back in?

Last time I early adopt a phone...

ccpopham

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Optical reader gives you the ability to extract text from pictures and screen shots. Basically giving you the ability to copy text from a pic and use the text as if you typed it and paste it anywhere

I know what OCR is, but you seem to be referring to Optical Reader as an app, not in general terms.

8100User

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I know what OCR is, but you seem to be referring to Optical Reader as an app, not in general terms.

If you go to the Samsung online store, you can find Samsung OCR, which IS an app. It'll allow you to either take a photo and extract the text from the photo, or choose an existing photo on your device, and extract the text from that photo.

The app is free...

joejkd82

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site
Right but this isn't the same I downloaded it. It adds too many steps and thus does not increase efficiency.

"smart select" is now simply way # 3013 to take a screenshot. There's nothing smart about the windows snipping tool as that's all it is.

Vivek Patil1

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
I agree... In the note 4, I could use smart select of a date and content of a sentence and had that T next to it hover to send that information directly into the calendar or if there is an address, it could be sent directly to a map. That is missing in note 5.