Note 5 not always fast charging

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
grace: did the new cable work?
digdug: +1
kelly: this is my first time with samsung, and i did quite a bit of research on the topic. Sadly, nowhere did it say that servicing a phone would take me the better part of two business weeks, or i might have re-considered leaving apple.

to be fair, i do love the phone, but there are annoyances that come with the samsung experience that you won't see until you -- well -- experience them yourself. Spilled milk aside, surrendering your phone for the better part of two weeks (or even one week) is really not actionable advice for most people, so while yours is certainly one solution, it's not the only one. An example? buying a cheap, reliable, $3 cable.

You know there isn't a Samsung Store. You know it has to be shipped. You know it has to be shipped back. You know they work Monday through Friday. You should know that the second your phone reaches the dock it won't be broken open.

You can pay for overnight shipping if you don't want the two day shipping that is free.

So knowing all this, how long would you think repair would take?

digdug11

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
You know there isn't a Samsung Store. You know it has to be shipped. You know it has to be shipped back. You know they work Monday through Friday. You should know that the second your phone reaches the dock it won't be broken open.

You can pay for overnight shipping if you don't want the two day shipping that is free.

So knowing all this, how long would you think repair would take?

One would think they could hold your debit/credit card info, ship you a certified replacement. They could then charge your card if they do not get your old phone back. Vzw has done this for me in the past.

Did you actually suggest buying another phone while they fix the note 5? Thats ridiculous. Just GET THE MONOPRICE CABLE AND BE HAPPY!

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
One would think they could hold your debit/credit card info, ship you a certified replacement. They could then charge your card if they do not get your old phone back. Vzw has done this for me in the past.

Did you actually suggest buying another phone while they fix the note 5? Thats ridiculous. Just GET THE MONOPRICE CABLE AND BE HAPPY!

Samsung USA doesn't ship phones, never has. The only phones they sell have been Verizon developer phones.

Yeah if you don't have an extra phone, buy a $15 dumb phone if you must have a phone while your phone is being repaired.

AvidForm

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
I started noticing this issue about 3 weeks ago. The Note 5 would only 'fast charge' about 50% of the time. (I would see the message 'cable charging' the other 50% of the time.)

I finally swapped out the cable for a spare one from an older device and that cable has fast-charged each and every time.

The cable that shipped with my Note5 appears to be thinner and a bit lighter gauge than the replacement. I also noticed that the original cable is susceptible to kinks and I'm suspicious that a kink may have degraded the internal integrity thereby causing intermittent connectivity quality.

I'm disappointed that Samsung appears to have shipped an inferior cable.. But as I don't want to return my unit for lengthy repairs.. I'm just going to live with the new cable solution.

Posted via the Android Central App

Brian Calhoun

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
correct. but it is noticeably slower now regardless of which charger I use. took the phone to the Samsung experience at best buy today and even they tried a variety of chargers, all were charging at a slower rate than normal. They were also unable to even connect my phone to their diagnostic app. Samsung rep decided it was an issue with the phone after trying latest updates, soft reset, safe mode, and hard reset. Phone still charged slow. Called Verizon and they are fedexing me a refurbished phone.

Blk Deisel

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
I have been down to 17% and still it will not fast charge even after unplugging and replugging it in several times. I only had mines 3 weeks and in the second week this has been happening..... Any resolutions to this yet?

digdug11

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I have been down to 17% and still it will not fast charge even after unplugging and replugging it in several times. I only had mines 3 weeks and in the second week this has been happening..... Any resolutions to this yet?

Yes get a three dollar cable from monoprice.com

sdmf

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Telus note 5 same issue. Have to reinsert into block a could times to get it to fast mode. New cable seems to be the best bet.

anon(280955)

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
mine stopped fast charging all together, last week. a couple days ago i switched out the USB cable for the old one that came with my HTC M7 (not sure that it would help any). ever since it's been working every time i plug it in. odd.

Agnes09

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
My note 5 is a hit or miss on fast charging on all level of battery percentage. I normally charge it first at fast wireless charger i bought from samsung, and after 5-10 seconds remove it from fast wireless charger and reconect to a fast charger. It that way the phone could now detect that i am using a fast charger. Because if the phone is only detecting that it is cable charging my battery is draining rather than charging if im using full brightness and surfing the net at 4g network.

dMb_Style

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I've just chatted with Samsung and they gave me that fast charging trouble fix

1.Power off the device
2.Press and Hold the Power Key
3.When the Samsung Galaxy Note 5 Logo displays, release the Power Key and immediately hold down the Volume down Key
4.Keep holding down the Volume down key until the device boots up completely
5.If successful, the Safe Mode dialogue will appear on the device screen in the bottom left corner
6. Now charge the device in safe mode for 2 hours
7. After 2 hours of charging it will fix the issue

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I would send my cord in first and if I still had the problem, get a warranty exchange for my phone. Sending the phone in is only for people that don't want to do a warranty exchange.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Well,, it's been almost 2 weeks since I started using my note 4 cord on my 5 and my fast charging issue is gone,, was not the phone,, it was the cord that came with the 5, which actually worked fine for the first month.