Note 5 battery life sucks - How many are having to charge their phones more than once a day?

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
If you just coming from a clean install you have to at least give it a week before you start complaining about battery life.

Posted via the Android Central App

I gave it a week when I first got the phone. It never got any better so I searched and searched to find a custom ROM with all the bloat removed. After doing this several times, I can't help but believe it is that carrier and samsung/Google bloat that is helping to drain the battery.

beenzy

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I constantly use a wireless charger that I have sitting near me. Battery is a non issue when I just set it on the charger when I'm not using it. I also have a fast charger in the car (just in case).

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
It depends on my usage, but I'm usually charging my phone fully over night and then usually have to throw it on the charger again around 4-5pm.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
When root/ROM was possible on the Galaxy S3/Note 2 (Verizon), just being able to root and then use Titanium Backup to freeze bloat helped extend battery life. Going with a stable and well done custom ROM like CleanROM was an even better experience for not only battery life, but how well those phones operated - lag free, smooth, and fast - like the Note 5 is now. I do miss those days.

Now I just try to uninstall or disable as many carrier or Samsung apps that I don't want. An example is the Amazon app that came with the Marshmallow update. I noticed it was using 3% battery and I had never even opened it up. Disabled that thing right away, which is unfortunate as I do actually want to use the app from time to time. On my wife's Note 5, she noticed that the "Caller Name ID" app was using up to 5% battery life and constantly popping up wanting to activate. Disabled that.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
When root/ROM was possible on the Galaxy S3/Note 2 (Verizon), just being able to root and then use Titanium Backup to freeze bloat helped extend battery life. Going with a stable and well done custom ROM like CleanROM was an even better experience for not only battery life, but how well those phones operated - lag free, smooth, and fast - like the Note 5 is now. I do miss those days.

Now I just try to uninstall or disable as many carrier or Samsung apps that I don't want. An example is the Amazon app that came with the Marshmallow update. I noticed it was using 3% battery and I had never even opened it up. Disabled that thing right away, which is unfortunate as I do actually want to use the app from time to time. On my wife's Note 5, she noticed that the "Caller Name ID" app was using up to 5% battery life and constantly popping up wanting to activate. Disabled that.

It really is amazing how much better the battery life is when you disable all that garbage.

I kept trying to find a custom ROM that I liked and every one of them had something that I didn't like in them and most of them made a few apps I use display a distorted settings page within the app so I was never happy. I finally found one that does not do that but I still have one minor annoyance with it and that's the way it displays dialed phone numbers. The numbers are all just grouped together as one big umber instead of (XXX)-XXX-XXXX. Haven't found a way to change that and I can deal with that.

I have a Note Edge that I was able to find a ROM for that is as close to stock as possible but just has the bloat stripped out. I haven't found anything like that yet but I'll keep looking.

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm charging it many times a day. But in my case it is because I'm never able to get its battery full (100%) when I charge it while it is turned on. lol, i don't even remember when was the last time I was able to full charge my note 5... I guess the 1h30m fast charge advertise only works with the phone turned off.

carlos12001

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
I'm charging it many times a day. But in my case it is because I'm never able to get its battery full (100%) when I charge it while it is turned on. lol, i don't even remember when was the last time I was able to full charge my note 5... I guess the 1h30m fast charge advertise only works with the phone turned off.

Of course it only works when your not using the phone, otherwise it would get too hot.

JHStewart1023

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
Did anyone who updated to Android Marshmallow have these issues before the update or after. I know that when my husband and I did the lollipop updates it basically fried the phone including the battery life. Actually my husband has to get a new phone because after resetting and hard rebooting. Even the Verizon reps ran diagnostics and were like yup you've done it all. Come to find out it was a common issue with Sprint and Verizon versions of the Galaxy s5 ATT too.

carlos12001

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Did anyone who updated to Android Marshmallow have these issues before the update or after. I know that when my husband and I did the lollipop updates it basically fried the phone including the battery life. Actually my husband has to get a new phone because after resetting and hard rebooting. Even the Verizon reps ran diagnostics and were like yup you've done it all. Come to find out it was a common issue with Sprint and Verizon versions of the Galaxy s5 ATT too.

I updated with no issues, there's hardly any difference on marshmallow. But battery life did get about 15% better.

sandy river

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
Oh. And i just realized my phone depleted faster than usual. But i'm not sure too.
So let's say my phone at night (12am) is 100%, in the morning (7am) it becomes around 90% while data connection is on (4G).
Do you think it's normal?

carlos12001

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Oh. And i just realized my phone depleted faster than usual. But i'm not sure too.
So let's say my phone at night (12am) is 100%, in the morning (7am) it becomes around 90% while data connection is on (4G).
Do you think it's normal?

A little over 1% per hour on lte depending on conditions, I'd say it's not bad. But I'd charge it overnight.

guacapoli

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
something is seriously wrong with my verizon note 5 battery life after the marshmallow update. I barely used my phone in a half hour time period and it went down 30%. And that's with disabling any and all bloatware with disabler pro.

I don't know what to do, I did a factory reset when I upgraded to marshamllow. Right now I can't live with this kind of battery life for my job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress