Samsung Calendar Notifications Keep Screen On Post-Nougat

bassoprofundo

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
So after noticing battery drains, "hot pockets" (phone is on and roasting when in my pocket), frequent wakeups overnight while the phone was on my nightstand (with DnD on), I've discovered what appears to be an issue with the Samsung Calendar app keeping the phone screen active. This happens on both my Note 5 and S7 Edge after the Nougat updates hit. Basically, a calendar notification fires and triggers the fullscreen reminder, powering the screen up. If the phones are left idle long enough for the displays to time out, the screens turn off and then immediately power back on. This cycle repeats until the reminder is dismissed. See here for an example:

https://youtu.be/mDYW0oScKxs

Prior to the update, the reminder would fire and trigger the notification, and the screen would time out and stay off until manually awakened by the user. When turning the device back on (or taking off a wireless cradle), the reminder would be present on the screen.

As far as setup, I have AT&T models of both the Note 5 and S7 edge running the latest OTAs, and I have exchange accounts mapped and syncing using the stock Samsung apps. Anyone able to confirm my findings and/or have a possible fix other than just turning off notifications for the calendar app? Note: Alternate calendar apps (Google Calendar, Nine Calendar) do not have the same issue.

Apr 27, 2017
Visit site
I just spent more time than I want to admit trying to figure this out.... My S8 wasn't doing this, but my wife's S8 was, so with a bit of "why are these different" and booting into safe mode to verify a 3rd party app was causing this I found that uninstalling Samsung pay fixed the problem for us (we had the exact same problem per your video until getting rid of the Samsung pay app)... I haven't re-installed the app yet to determine which setting is causing this issue, but try and getting rid of that app to see if it fixes your problem.... I'll send an update if I figure out which setting is causing the issue...

Thanks

Eric Sirianni

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
I have the exact same problem after the Nougat update. On my phone, Samsung Pay cannot be uninstalled (or even disabled). How exactly did you go about removing it?

GreggArcher

Apr 28, 2017
Visit site
I'm having the same issue on my Galaxy S7 Edge with Nougat. I use Samsung Pay, so I'm hoping we can find a fix other than disabling or uninstalling that...

Apr 27, 2017
Visit site
I've noticed that samsung pay CAN be installed without causing this issue... I only have this issue once activating a card... Have you activated any cards? If so, try removing them...

I have the S8, and this phone gives you the option to uninstall the samsung pay app. But I have since re-installed, but haven't set it up and everything is working fine at the moment... I plan to set things up and play the setting toggle game to see what magic setting is causing the issue...

Apr 27, 2017
Visit site
Agreed, I plan to figure out which setting is causing the issue. I also use Samsung pay, but have had to stop for the time being because I need calendar notifications more without having my phone burn a hole in my leg...

BJB1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
+1. Samsung Pay with card added causes this issue on S7 Edge Verizon with Nougat. Further frustration with Nougat notifications. Samsung calender notifications disappear from notification shade without dismissing after an appointment is over. That is also new behaviour on my phone with nougat. Perhaps they did this because they figured out if they let all notifications stay active until dismissed as before, with the new behaviour with Samsung pay and keeping your display on, your phone would become a hand warmer. Excellent for ski season.

Notifications worked fine before. Hope they fix fast. I am removing my cards from Samsung pay as we speak. Hope the notification shade issue gets fixed too.

BJB1

BJB1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
+1. Samsung Pay with card added causes this issue on S7 Edge Verizon with Nougat. Further frustration with Nougat notifications. Samsung calender notifications disappear from notification shade without dismissing after an appointment is over. That is also new behaviour on my phone with nougat. Perhaps they did this because they figured out if they let all notifications stay active until dismissed as before, with the new behaviour with Samsung pay and keeping your display on, your phone would become a hand warmer. Excellent for ski season.

Notifications worked fine before. Hope they fix fast. I am removing my cards from Samsung pay as we speak. Hope the notification shade issue gets fixed too.

BJB1

agaurav

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I have the exact sam problem but it started happening only recently. I don't recollect having any Android updates. Only the usual apps.

But I did add a new Citi double cash back card to Samsung Pay recently. So maybe that is what did this. How can they write code where calendar notification is connected to a particular card being added? In any case, that card is what I use all the time. So not liking the option of removing the card from Samsung Pay.

Did anyone figure out another route to fix the problem?

Apr 27, 2017
Visit site
So I went through and found the setting in Samsung pay that triggers this issue. It appears that cards being added is fine and won't create the issue. Once you add a card to your favorites (so it can be launched from the lock screen/home screen, etc.) this notification issue presents itself.

For now, I am still able to use my cards, but do not have any cards added to my favorites... I have to go into the Samsung Pay app, and select the credit card I want to use. Not as convenient as being able to access your favorite cards from the lock screen, but it's a work around for the time being until an update to the app solves this problem.

So it would appear as though there is a way to keep using Samsung pay without sacrificing battery (or needing to turn off calendar notifications)... For now, just remove all cards from your favorites (you do not need to remove all your cards, although obviously that works as well)...

Apr 27, 2017
Visit site
Also, the reason this has only started happening recently is because Samsung Pay released an update to the app earlier in the month (around April 12th I believe... ish)... So I would assume an update to that app would solve this problem (now is the time to head over to the play store and leave feedback so Samsung knows to fix this in a future update to their app I would assume)....

Lastly, I went through and toggled every setting in Samsung pay (isolation of variables style) to see if something else could be toggled without having to remove the card from my favorites with no luck.... This method is how I figured out that adding a card to your favorites is the only thing causing this issue...

Hopefully this helps everyone in the meantime...

bassoprofundo

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies here, all. I use the heck out of Samsung Pay, but I can take it off one of the two phones temporarily and see if it fixes it. Sorry about my slowness in replying... Had a personal emergency and kept me away for longer than I'd have liked.

bassoprofundo

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
In the meantime, I've discovered a similar issue that's equally annoying and am curious to see if you guys are also seeing this.

Similar to the calendar notification issue, when I'm in a phone call and have the phone app showing, the screen does the exact same thing as with the calendar notification... Specifically, it dims, goes to black, and immediately turns the screen back on. As with the calendar notification issue, I learned this the hard way when my the phone practically melted my leg and drained my battery while on a work call with the phone in my pocket.

bassoprofundo

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
OMG, so you're right about it being Samsung Pay. I just did some testing on the Note 5, and I can reproduce this every time. Specifically, when you have Samsung Pay installed with favorites added, it causes both my original calendar issue and the screen issue during phone calls I posted later.

HOWEVER, if you open the Samsung Pay app (either from the launch icon or by swiping a card up into view) and then background it via the home button, both issues disappear. The minute I go in and close Samsung Pay in the background, the issue starts again. Anyone have an idea of the best way to report this to Sammy?

bassoprofundo

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
So I contacted Samsung and got the below reply, which was not really any help being that it just tells me how to enable/disable the feature we've determined is the problem and how to check for updates. :(

"
Thank you for contacting us. We appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

We really appreciate your interest in the Samsung Pay application, thank you for taking the time to contact us.

With reference to your mail we understand that your are having issue with Samsung Pay after latest Nougat update on your phone which is causing Favorite cards enabled in Samsung Pay*and screen keeps wakeup.**

I would like to inform you that,* you can activate or deactivate frequently used cards feature which allow you to use Samsung Pay App from home button which is called Manage Favorite Cards Feature.

Open Samsung Pay >> More (3Dots) >> Settings >> Manage Favorite Cards>>*Check or UN-checkthe cards and feature will be Turned OFF/ON.

I would also like to inform you that,*the feature to use Samsung Pay from lock screen or home screen or app screen is called Use Favorite card.* While accessing this feature for Samsung Pay, try to verify your device is connected to a Wi-Fi® or mobile data network. It may be necessary to turn your device off and back on to reestablish a connection with your Wi-Fi network or mobile service provider and proceed.

Please follow the below given instructions to select the desired option to activate or deactivate this feature on your phone, make sure you have active data connection or Wi-Fi :

1.) Open Samsung Pay application.

2.) Select More.

3.) Go to Settings.

4.) Select Use Favorite Card.

5.) Check mark the Simple pay feature.

6.) Make sure that Use Simple pay feature is ON or OFF for the options which you desired to use that is lock screen or home screen or app screen.

If the issue persists, We can perform a few troubleshooting steps and check with the result.

1. Try to check if there is any Software update available for the device or for Samsung Pay application. You can check the device update with in

Apps>>settings>>System update>>Check Status.

Samsung Pay Update can be checked from : Open Samsung Pay>>More(3 Dots)>>Settings>>About Samsung Pay>>Update.

2. If you have Encrypted your device, please try to decrypt with in Lock screen and Security settings.

In case if the issue persists even after checking with above mentioned steps please contact dedicated Samsung Pay Support team at*1-844-726-7297*(1-844-SAM-PAYS).

In case if the*issue seem to be with Nougat software on phone we suggest you to contact dedicated Samsung Voice support team at*1-800-SAMSUNG*(726-7864), Mon-Fri: 7 AM - 2 AM (CST), Sat: 9 AM - 10 PM (CST) for further assistance.

Feel free to contact us back if you have any queries or issues with the Samsung pay app. we are happy to assist you.

You can reach us at Live chat support from link below

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...om%2Fus%2Fsupport%2Fcontact%2F&token=SPdbiqkp

Thank you for using our services. Your satisfaction is very important to us.

Kind regards,
Customer Service Center

Please visit our website :*https://help.content.samsung.com"

pixelbendr

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
I'm having the same problem with Galaxy S7 Edge, the screen just keeps coming back on continuously if there is a calendar notification that isn't dismissed. I turned off the Favorites feature in Samsung Pay, but that didn't stop the problem.

bassoprofundo

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same problem with Galaxy S7 Edge, the screen just keeps coming back on continuously if there is a calendar notification that isn't dismissed. I turned off the Favorites feature in Samsung Pay, but that didn't stop the problem.

Make sure you aren't just toggling the settings under "Use Favorite Cards" but that you're actually unchecking the box beside all of your cards under "Manage Favorite Cards." It's not enough just to turn the feature off using the 3 sliders (Home Screen, Lock Screen, and Screen Off)