Note 7 Tempered Glass Screen Protector

atuarre

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I don't think there is any solution. Either to do the tempered glass where it does not cover the curves or just keep having the Zagg replaced. Best Buy will eventually get tired of changing it and refund my money. I don't see them replacing it every week. I let my phone sit for 48 hours after the last one. As soon as I put my case on my phone, the sides started peeling.

team420

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site

irock1985

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm on my 4th screen protector from Zagg. I will just keep going to Best Buy to have them replace it I guess.
Same thing I've been doing with my Pure Gear from T-Mobile... On #3 so far and this is the best yet but still have the edges on tbe sides lifting ever so slightly so it's only a matter of time til dirt seeps in...

mrocha85

Aug 23, 2016
Visit site
Hopefully with the battery issue recall, Samsung will also address the GG5 and "surprise" us with an improved version.

That would be great but doubtful. This doesnt put the customer "at risk for danger" This does give people the opportunity to complain to their carriers and get reimbursement for their current protectors. Samsung said it will be a few weeks so hopefully someone will have a decent protector by then.

homer813

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
It's not the screen protectors that have the problem, it's the case manufacturers.
Well it's not just the case manufactures. The screen protectors are far from useful. They either don't fit right, don't adhere, don't function, lost clarity, lose screen sensitivity, or allow debris to get under them. It's at least one of those things for all of them.

Last edited:

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Well it's not just the case manufactures. The screen protectors are far from useful. They either don't fit right, don't adhere, don't function, lost clarity, lose screen sensitivity, or allow debris to get under them. It's at least one of those things for all of them.

Actually, that isn't the case. The screen protectors are fine - granted the adhesion leaves something to be desired (I use a bit of silicone seal to fix that), but most cases push up on the screen protector - that causes the lost sensitivity and debris. Use a screen protector w/o a case, it most will be fine.

The tempered glass needs to wrap, but the cases need to account for that.

homer813

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Actually, that isn't the case. The screen protectors are fine - granted the adhesion leaves something to be desired (I use a bit of silicone seal to fix that), but most cases push up on the screen protector - that causes the lost sensitivity and debris. Use a screen protector w/o a case, it most will be fine.

The tempered glass needs to wrap, but the cases need to account for that.

Actually, that is the case. What you call "fine", I call a problem. I've used them with and without a case. Still the same issue. Point being is all the same, the screen protectors are far from functional. There are still way too many problems with them for these curved screens too. It's not just the cases.

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Actually, that is the case. What you call "fine", I call a problem. I've used them with and without a case. Still the same issue. Point being is all the same, the screen protectors are far from functional. There are still way too many problems with them for these curved screens too. It's not just the cases.

I guess it may depend on the particular protector, as I haven't had any issues with mine.

jaytow

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Supcase Unicorn Beetle Pro with Jetech Tempered Glass Screen Protector.. You'll all thank me later when you have this configuration.

homer813

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I guess it may depend on the particular protector, as I haven't had any issues with mine.

You didn't have any "issues" except that you had to modify it in order for it to stick right. That's exactly my point--as we shouldn't have to add silicone to make it work right. I've tried a dozen of the curved protectors and they're all the same. None of them work right out of the package. All of the screen protector manufacturers say the same thing about not being able to use adhesive on the entire screen. It's a design issue for them. But that's just the way it is.

I guess is that if you are using that silicone to get it to stick and not lose sensitivity, that this seems to be the best solution so far. My only input would be to use a protector that is real glass and not plastic, and to use one that has adhesive along all the edges (such as the one you posted about). The ones that only have adhesive on top and bottom still allow dust to trap underneath.

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I did the silicone seal as "insurance" - not sure I had to do it. I used an extremely small amount of silicone seal (I literally used a pin-head to put it on) - the black top & bottom allowed me to "hide" it on each of the 4 corners.

I obviously will remove it when I exchange my phone, but for now, it's been great.

homer813

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Well so far you're the only one with a viable option. It sounds like even just that small amount can make a difference. What I am noticing is that the curved screen protectors just have a very small gap between the screen and the protector, enough to create a lost in sensitivity.

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I can't say if the particular screen protector I used is any better than the rest - I suspect they're all made in the same factory in China. But, I can tell you that I've had no issues with touch-sensitivity - from typing to action-games. I can also tell you that there IS a very small space between the protector-glass and the actual screen. The short video below shows the reflection moving as I push on the screen protector. But, it doesn't seem to affect it.

[video]http://www.photobert.com/temp/Note7-protector.mp4[/video]

Edit... BTW, screen savers don't actually have to touch the screen - capacitive touchscreen displays rely on the electrical charge in your finger - not in physical touch.

edit 2: After replacing my first Note 7, I purchased an identical screen protector because I didn't think I'd be able to re-use it. But it had touch issues. I ended up putting back my first one back on, and it's fine. The moral of the story is that manufacturing tolerances aren't very good, and it may be pure "luck" that any one protector works as advertised.

Last edited: