Note 7 Non-Replaceable Battery Questions

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
The one thing that can degrade a battery quickly is constant use of Fast Charging. If you don't FC daily, then the battery should last a few years.
This is why I have the LG g5.

Posted via the Android Central App
You poor thing, luckily LG V20 is nearby, so LG can forget the flop that is the G5.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
The one thing that can degrade a battery quickly is constant use of Fast Charging. If you don't FC daily, then the battery should last a few years.

You poor thing, luckily LG V20 is nearby, so LG can forget the flop that is the G5.

I fast charge my Note 5... THREE times a day on average from 40%-100. I have to, use the phone A LOT.

I've got no other choice. It's a sealed battery. Before this phone, I swapped 3 to 4 batteries, and bought factory fresh ones regularly. Charged them separately on an external charger.

There are many on the forum that don't even keep their phones more that 3-4 months, then they're on to the next phone. They don't care or hardly care about battery longevity. Neither do the folks who change phones after one year.

It's the folks who are 'users' AND who want to keep their phones a couple of years. These sealed batteries, for hard users, will NEVER last two years.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I fast charge my Note 5... THREE times a day on average from 40%-100. I have to, use the phone A LOT.

I've got no other choice. It's a sealed battery. Before this phone, I swapped 3 to 4 batteries, and bought factory fresh ones regularly. Charged them separately on an external charger.

There are many on the forum that don't even keep their phones more that 3-4 months, then they're on to the next phone. They don't care or hardly care about battery longevity. Neither do the folks who change phones after one year.

It's the folks who are 'users' AND who want to keep their phones a couple of years. These sealed batteries, for hard users, will NEVER last two years.

That is heavy, and I thought I was a heavy user, lol

How is your Note5 battery holding up?

Its a shame as most of us keep our phones for at least 18months. I got my Note 4 on Launch Day in 2014, and used Fast Charging daily, then in April this year I realised the battery was no longer holding charge well, and replaced it.

One may have to get a Battery Pack cover for sealed batteries to avoid having to take the phone in after a year of heavy usage.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
If you're playing pokemon go, you're a power user. Your battery is getting trashed.

Pokémon? 😃

I don't even have a single social media like FB, Instagram, Twitter on my phone.

It's all business use, forum use, few apps, communication.

What drains the battery is mostly being on the Internet, browsing, communicating on calls. If I were to just text, send an email, barely drains the battery.

That's why I always carried 3-4 batteries, rotated them, externally recharged them, was always good to go.

Now, have got to quick charge, one hour and a few minutes to take it from 40-100%.

Another reason why I prefer rechargeable batteries over water resistance. 😏

Any why I'm waiting for Samsung to put a warranty repair center here in Denver so they can install a factory fresh battery when needed.

Samsung... are you listening? Do you really care? 😎

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Is there any actual documented evidence that fast charging ruins batteries? I don't need a physics lesson. There are a large number of batteries out there, and there is a lot of misinformation, and myths about them. Trickle charge, over charge, never to 0, never leave it charging to 100, blah, blah, blah.

Not sure I buy into the fast charge kills battery theory.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Since the Note 7 has non-replaceable batteries, it seems to me its life span will be significantly shortened. If the battery goes out on the phone is there anyway to repair it at a reasonable charge or do you think you will just have to buy another refurbished Note7? Has there been any published data on how long Samsung expects the battery life to last(in months) with normal usage?
It can always be sent to Samsung to replace, there are some walk in Samsung service centers. Of there is on in your area it can be done. For previous phones, IIRC, the price for replacement is between $50 to $70.

Last edited:

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Getting Samsung under warranty or extended warranty is a pain in the you know what! I know... they've put me through hassles to prove a degraded battery and still haven't replaced it under warranty.

This aspect of the sealed Samsung batteries with no Samsung service centers in Denver and many other cities is the Achilles heel of the company and Verizon and phones.

Unlike Apple where I can make an appointment and in one hour and three miles away, I can have a factory fresh battery installed, either under warranty or Seventy bucks.

Going through Samsung Plus instead of 800 Samsung is best. I've had a battery replaced with no problem, once they didn't replace the battery but replaced my motherboard because that was the issue.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I've spoken with Samsung via their online app. Mail it? If I had another phone and can wait 10-14 business days for turn around, sure.

But I gave away my S4 to a hard working teenager who really needed a phone... complete with 4 extra batteries.

In hindsight, I should have kept it for an emergency. I think in the future, I will keep an extra phone as an emergency spare.

You can always buy a cheap prepaid from Target or Best Buy as a back up for emergencies. You can get one for $25 or less. Target even has Samsung smartphones as Trac phones.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
With all the good things I hear about Note 7, I think the only thing that may force me to upgrade from it after 2+ years would be if that non-removable battery goes kaput. That is a big worry for me.
Wasn't an issue with the Note 5 or the S6. This isn't the first year of non-removable batteries.

Shelacios

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Glad for this thread. This will be my first non removable battery phone since the old flip Razrs in 97! I'm super used to both hot swapping and battery pulls for overheating or generally wonky behavior. I'm coming from the Note 4. DH has the N5, but is not a power user like I am, so his feelings about the battery wouldn't dovetail with mine.