Leaving iOS... Couple questions

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I don't know how many podcasts you listen to (haven't had time to read through all 6 pages), but if you're a big podcast user I haven't found anything on Android that's as good as the iOS podcast app. Everything else is just as good, and in some cases better. I use AirDroid to get messages from my phone to my MBP. I prefer Siri over Google Now personally, but I think I might be the only person on earth that does.

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I don't know how many podcasts you listen to (haven't had time to read through all 6 pages), but if you're a big podcast user I haven't found anything on Android that's as good as the iOS podcast app. Everything else is just as good, and in some cases better. I use AirDroid to get messages from my phone to my MBP. I prefer Siri over Google Now personally, but I think I might be the only person on earth that does.
I've tried a lot of different podcast apps on Android and love the freedom to do so. I've been using Pocketcasts app for a couple of months and have to say I like it a lot. It is worlds better than anything else. It is totally worth the price of it.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I've tried a lot of different podcast apps on Android and love the freedom to do so. I've been using Pocketcasts app for a couple of months and have to say I like it a lot. It is worlds better than anything else. It is totally worth the price of it.

0 of the podcasts I listen to are in Pocketcasts. Sure I can upload them manually, but I preferred the method of subscribing in iTunes, and they'd be there in the app as new episodes came in.

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Really? That's surprising. Not being sarcastic. I'm just surprised. In my opinion, there are minor compromises and then there are major compromises when switching. Either from Android to iOS or the other way depending on which os you're most comfortable using. Things like the podcast app on iOS I consider to be minor. I haven't missed it at all since using Pocketcasts.

If anything, I miss iMovie compared to any other video editor on Android. I've been able to get by using Cyberlink Power Director as a suitable replacement. It is darn near close to iMovie in features.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Really? That's surprising. Not being sarcastic. I'm just surprised. In my opinion, there are minor compromises and then there are major compromises when switching. Either from Android to iOS or the other way depending on which os you're most comfortable using. Things like the podcast app on iOS I consider to be minor. I haven't missed it at all since using Pocketcasts.

If anything, I miss iMovie compared to any other video editor on Android. I've been able to get by using Cyberlink Power Director as a suitable replacement. It is darn near close to iMovie in features.

I'm in no way saying it's a dealbreaker. It's just one of the negatives I've found in Android. They're all music podcasts from smaller bands and dj's. Most are on soundcloud, and I can download them from there. It was just nice having them automatically show up in the iOS app. I also miss iOS's Notes app. Not because it's necessarily any better than Android options. It's more about familiarity and auto syncing between my phone and my MBP. I don't even currently have an iPhone, so none of the drawbacks I've found have been so bad that they keep me from using Android. I'm honestly happy with either OS. They both have little niggles that make me prefer some aspect over the other.

archer75

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
0 of the podcasts I listen to are in Pocketcasts. Sure I can upload them manually, but I preferred the method of subscribing in iTunes, and they'd be there in the app as new episodes came in.

You can add any podcast feed to pocket casts and subscribe to it. They don't have to be "in" pocket casts already. As long as you have the feed address it works.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
You can add any podcast feed to pocket casts and subscribe to it. They don't have to be "in" pocket casts already. As long as you have the feed address it works.

Even if they're only in iTunes? I've seen podcast feed links on sites to use in podcast apps. But the 4 I'm most interested in are iTunes only. I may have just missed that part.

archer75

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Even if they're only in iTunes? I've seen podcast feed links on sites to use in podcast apps. But the 4 I'm most interested in are iTunes only. I may have just missed that part.

If they're in iTunes as podcasts they do have an address. It's just a matter of finding it.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
If they're in iTunes as podcasts they do have an address. It's just a matter of finding it.

I guess I could try copying the iTunes link from a site and paste that into Pocketcasts, but I doubt it would work as it would just try to go directly to iTunes. Not sure. Thanks for the info though. I'll do a little more digging on my next off day.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Just get the RSS link, and add it to any podcast app. You can Subscribe once the link is added.

p.s. I am surprised you like the Apple Podcast app so much. I like almost ANY Android podcast app more than the Apple iOS Podcast app. Pocketcasts is the best on Android.

I also actually prefer 2 or 3 iOS-only podcast apps more than the Apple one. (DownCast on iOS is great)

Pippinsky

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
If you use an app it is possible easily. I use Life360 Family Locator, which is awesome. My whole family has it installed, and it works great. You can set areas up, and it will alert you when certain members leave or arrive in once of the areas, etc. "Joe has left home" alert, for example ..

Does GPS need to be kept on for functionality? I'm thinking always on gps would kill batteries quickly...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress