Galaxy Note 7 Vibration Problem - Faulty Hardware?

svenb352

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

I set up my GN7 yesterday (T-Mobile) and had zero issues. I noticed the haptic feedback seemed a bit weak, but I figured it was just a setting I had to change. That said, after an hour it completely stopped working. I tried everything I could to get the vibrate function to work and had no success. So, I checked some forums and it said to go into safe mode (where you can test all the items on the device). When I would click on Vibrate nothing would happen. Some sites I checked said if it doesn't vibrate there then you have faulty hardware. I called T-Mobile and got a HUGE DRAMA runaround. Nobody knew how to get me a new Note 7 as it was so new. So, I ended up deciding to do a third factory reset (like I said, I tried everything), however this time I didn't do the "Back to Back" restore method (from my previous S7edge). Instead I did the Google restore method and just chose a handful of apps to add. Low and behold, everything worked. I set up the phone again, added my accounts, etc.

Today, I installed 4 apps - T-Mobile Tuesdays, T-Mobile, YouTube Gaming, and Google Duo. Vibrate still worked fine. An hour later I was surfing Facebook, went to tap on the "Back" capacitive button, no vibrate. W T F?! I tried everything again, no vibrate. I removed all four apps I downloaded today - no vibrate.

I'm at my wits end here with this as I am pretty convinced I got a fauly unit. Anyone have any suggestions, or do I just need to work with T-Mobile on exchanging this? My GS7 edge did not do this at all.

Thanks in advance everyone!

svenb352

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Update: I talked to T-Mobile's loyalty department and they were super helpful. They placed a new order (I had to pay the upgrade fee and taxes again but will get reimbursed when I send the other one back). They overnighted it again and it will be here on Tuesday. So, all is well that ends well.

If anyone has drama with etting their units exchanged/returned, when you call 611 say you want to cancel your service, say continue when prompted, enter the last 4 of your SS #, and you will talk to loyalty (works 9/10 times - if they are swamped it sends you to regular customer service - you don't want that >_> lol). Good luck all!

svenb352

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
An hour after I posted the last message the vibrate function started working again and hasn't stopped since. WTH? I'm still going to take the new unit and send this one back, but I am so confused. The vibrate motor now works in the safe boot testing menu as well. SO ODD. Anyone else have this problem? I am sensing by the lack of replies that it is only me, thus it is a hardware fault :( lol

svenb352

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
My replacement GN7 will be arriving today so I'll let ya'll know how it goes. On a side note, the vibration feature never went out again after that last one I mentioned. While that's great, I still see it as intermittent and don't want to take any chances. Thanks all :)

Ugg1974

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
I am having the same trouble. No vibration at all. I called the T Mobile store where I bought it and they said I could return it for a new device. I wonder if this is going to start happening to these phones. What a pain. Not what to expect from a phone that cost $$$$$$.

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
This happened to me s7 edge after about a month. Took it to a T-Mobile store where the rep confirmed it wasn't working and he placed am order for a new (refurbished) one.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
If it's sporadic, it may be a hardware issue. It probably doesn't need to be said, but any power saving feature turned on will disable the vibration as well. Don't kill me for stating the obvious. One or two people may not know. 😉

Ugg1974

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
Did a factory reset. Still not working. I will just have to go get a new phone at T mobile tomorrow. Vibration is enable, but still nothing. Very unfortunate.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Can more actual owners to check this on their phones? If there's no vibration or if it's very weak that would be a deal breaker for me. :-\

MsBlingberry

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,

I set up my GN7 yesterday (T-Mobile) and had zero issues. I noticed the haptic feedback seemed a bit weak, but I figured it was just a setting I had to change. That said, after an hour it completely stopped working. I tried everything I could to get the vibrate function to work and had no success. So, I checked some forums and it said to go into safe mode (where you can test all the items on the device). When I would click on Vibrate nothing would happen. Some sites I checked said if it doesn't vibrate there then you have faulty hardware. I called T-Mobile and got a HUGE DRAMA runaround. Nobody knew how to get me a new Note 7 as it was so new. So, I ended up deciding to do a third factory reset (like I said, I tried everything), however this time I didn't do the "Back to Back" restore method (from my previous S7edge). Instead I did the Google restore method and just chose a handful of apps to add. Low and behold, everything worked. I set up the phone again, added my accounts, etc.

Today, I installed 4 apps - T-Mobile Tuesdays, T-Mobile, YouTube Gaming, and Google Duo. Vibrate still worked fine. An hour later I was surfing Facebook, went to tap on the "Back" capacitive button, no vibrate. W T F?! I tried everything again, no vibrate. I removed all four apps I downloaded today - no vibrate.

I'm at my wits end here with this as I am pretty convinced I got a fauly unit. Anyone have any suggestions, or do I just need to work with T-Mobile on exchanging this? My GS7 edge did not do this at all.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Also have this issue with my N4. Rather strange, it doesn't vibrate at all.

Posted via my awesome N4

jorgehuaman

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
I have the Sprint Note 7 and I'm currently on my 2nd one. The 1st stopped vibrating by the 5th day. I couldn't figure out what did it but I called Samsung Tech support with no luck. They told my to take it to Samsung Best Buy reps and when I did they called their tech support and also no luck. They eventually told me it was easiest to just exchange it where I bought it and I did. Day 3 with new phone and it vibrates ... for now. I don't know I can say it was faulty hardware. It seemed fine the first few days. I noticed it after using the Gear VR. I'm kinda scared to use the Gear VR again but I have a feeling it's a software issue somehow. Samsung gave up on my phone when they finally went to *#0*# in the dialer and tested vibration in the hidden menu. Once they saw that, they said it was defective. I guess try that and if it fails, exchange your phone ASAP before you are out of your warranty period.

androidkutter

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site
I have the Sprint Note 7 and I'm currently on my 2nd one. The 1st stopped vibrating by the 5th day. I couldn't figure out what did it but I called Samsung Tech support with no luck. They told my to take it to Samsung Best Buy reps and when I did they called their tech support and also no luck. They eventually told me it was easiest to just exchange it where I bought it and I did. Day 3 with new phone and it vibrates ... for now. I don't know I can say it was faulty hardware. It seemed fine the first few days. I noticed it after using the Gear VR. I'm kinda scared to use the Gear VR again but I have a feeling it's a software issue somehow. Samsung gave up on my phone when they finally went to *#0*# in the dialer and tested vibration in the hidden menu. Once they saw that, they said it was defective. I guess try that and if it fails, exchange your phone ASAP before you are out of your warranty period.

I'm in the UAE and I'm mega pissed because this is exactly what happened to my phone. It's 100% a hardware issue.

If you want to check it yourself, go to the phone dialer and enter: *#7353# this will let you do the hardware test. Vibration won't work and in my case I can hear an electrostatic hum in the ear piece which is probably something broken not connected to the vibration motor.

joshday84

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
Confirming this as well after using the Gear VR and testing in Diagnostic Menu. Looks like I'll be visiting Sprint tomorrow for an exchange. :-\