Note 7 Has A Screen Defect (phone cracked after being dropped)

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: more fragile then my note 5

Yes I saw it... so your saying person can't "slip" a phone in a bag with anything else next to it??

Didn't say "I threw it in my bag next to another phone so hard I heard it bang against it"

So millions of women cannot slip her Note7 into a bag with anything else in that compartment... wallet? Keys? The gazillion of things women keep in there bags?

Seriously, the writer gave no impression that she put it in her bag in any unusual way she would any other time with anything else she put in her bag that would cause breakage. It is this type of scenario that clearly makes you think... this phone is too damn brittle for normal daily handling.

It's been only two weeks and there had been quiet a few of these stories. Well have to see as more time passes and see even when people get there replacements we reset the clock and see.
No a woman should never put their phone in their purse touching anything else.

My Note 5 rarely goes in my purse, but when it does, it is in a pocket by itself.

Most women know this. That was the first thing I noticed about that article myself, putting two phones next to each other in a pocket.

Keys should never be anywhere near a phone screen.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

Well, that's why I really am not basing my thoughts on one phone being put in a purse. Besides a couple of other videos in the youtube world, there have been quite a few posts by forum members themselves reporting cracks in various ways.... some with cases. And the phones been out a couple of weeks?

The Cracked Screen Evangelist!! Lol, sounds kinda cool :cool:

I really don't know if it's too brittle for me... maybe. Hey as a potential buyer that's why I am here to read what owners are posting and showing pics and I'm bringing it up. It's a $900 and we should be able to figure things out here and if the consensus is that it's a weaker phone then better for people here. If it's something that gains attention of Samsung and they can at least look at the process and if there is one little thing that they may be able to make in production then it benefits us the consumer. It could be they really went too far on the forming and they can't change the process and the corners are as brittle as they are. Then something to consider for Note 8... Enough complaints and maybe they will go with flat glassed Note 8. Again... good for future buyers.

I'm not a hater in the phone... just the opposite I love everything else and I'm gong through my concerns before I make my decision. I don't even start the threads... people reporting cracking their screens are. I am just giving my $1.25 cents lol. Over enough time and more users... we will get a better idea and the topic will die away or it will show there is an agreement.

-The Cracked Screen Evangelist

The point is that the Note 7 wasn't in the pocket by itself. Something else was in there and there wasn't any indication that WHATEVER that was didn't collide with it and cause the issue. You don't know. I don't know.

For who? Not for me, maybe for you. Cool. You can be the cracked screen evangelist if you like. I really don't think we are saying different things to be honest. I just don't care as much I guess because I take very good care of my phone, and I don't put it in a pocket with other things..

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

Wow, I gotta show this post to my wife! Either she is the one of the minority that do or you are. In my circle... you are lol.
Heck, I can't even convince female corporate directors... do not put your iphone in your back pocket when not at work lol.

No a woman should never put their phone in their purse touching anything else.

My Note 5 rarely goes in my purse, but when it does, it is in a pocket by itself.

Most women know this. That was the first thing I noticed about that article myself, putting two phones next to each other in a pocket.

Keys should never be anywhere near a phone screen.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Wow, I gotta show this post to my wife! Either she is the one of the minority that do or you are. In my circle... you are lol.
Heck, I can't even convince female corporate directors... do not put your iphone in your back pocket when not at work lol.

Nope I'm not in the minority at all. This has been discussed by women on this forum a lot. A woman that is a "phone person" knows better for sure.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I've seen silly videos where they take a hammer to the center of the screen and no damage... I know the glass isn't brittle. They hammer in locations around center and no problems. I think GG5 is ok flat. The moment they tap the edge or corner... what you can call a tap with a hammer... cracks like candy glass. At the corners/sides where it's curved.... it's brittle. At least the jury is out on this. I'd like to see over next month or two what kind of posts we get.

-The Cracked Glass Evangelist :cool:
The glass isn't brittle, it is an exposed display. The same glass in a Note 5 would be great.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

Yeah the female phone person I know is the type that just wanted the latest and greatest name brand. And they don't know the full capabilities. :p

Nope I'm not in the minority at all. This has been discussed by women on this forum a lot. A woman that is a "phone person" knows better for sure.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

And else where I've mentioned when I have a phone I have activities I do like running (marathons), hiking, skiing, mountain biking with it bouncing around in my cargo pant pocket and I have to determine if I can do it with that. Never had a problem with iPhone 1, 3gs, 4s, Nexus 4, LG G2, G3 iPhone 6... so I kinda don't think I should have a problem with this... but this phone sounds like it could be the most sensitive phone owned requiring the greatest amount of thought though.

Yeah the female phone person I know is the type that just wanted the latest and greatest name brand. And they don't know the full capabilities. :p

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

And else where I've mentioned when I have a phone I have activities I do like running (marathons), hiking, skiing, mountain biking with it bouncing around in my cargo pant pocket and I have to determine if I can do it with that. Never had a problem with iPhone 1, 3gs, 4s, Nexus 4, LG G2, G3 iPhone 6... so I kinda don't think I should have a problem with this... but this phone sounds like it could be the most sensitive phone owned requiring the greatest amount of thought though.
I would never do any of those activities without a major case on any phone.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

As you can see from the list, this would also be the largest phone if bought going progressively larger each time except for the 6. Yes, not the best choice for an active lifestyle but I like the Note S-Pen usability and features... unfortunately nothing similar in a 5.2-5.3 LG G2 sized phone. That really is the sweet spot for me.

I would never do any of those activities without a major case on any phone.

Jad Morffier

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
Yep...
No one will feel sorry for you here...
It's a glass phone with raised edges, what did you expect??
Survival rate from drop only 80%... not 100% Clearly the odds are against you
Do you work for Apple?
Sorry if what I wrote came across as someone looking for sympathy. I don't care, I'm getting it replaced through this recall and replace program. 😊

My point is that I think the glass on the Note7 is weaker than all my previous smartphones. And I don't think I'm the only one. With numerous reports of short distance drops cracking people's screens when previous phones have survived such falls numerous times (android and apple) , and the fact that this GG5 can be scratched far to easily, there is something to be said about that.

I was looking forward to using my Note7 without a case but it looks like I'm forced to wrap it in cotton wool wherever I go.

Hehe no I don't work for apple. My last apple purchase was an iPhone 6 Plus about 2 years ago. I had it for a week and then sold it for a Note 4, and never looked back. The iPhone was too ugly and the specs had nothing on the Note 4. The iPhone 5 was the best smartphone apple created IMHO. They've gone downhill ever since.

Adaboy

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I broke my Note 2 one month before my contract was over. Loved that phone. I removed Insurance as I only keep insurance for the first yr then after that I figure I'm wasting money. The N7 is so pretty and feels good to hold naked, but I want to keep it a long time. I have dropped other phones while getting out of the car because I forgot it was sitting in my lap!

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

Well, that's why I really am not basing my thoughts on one phone being put in a purse. Besides a couple of other videos in the youtube world, there have been quite a few posts by forum members themselves reporting cracks in various ways.... some with cases. And the phones been out a couple of weeks?

The Cracked Screen Evangelist!! Lol, sounds kinda cool :cool:

I really don't know if it's too brittle for me... maybe. Hey as a potential buyer that's why I am here to read what owners are posting and showing pics and I'm bringing it up. It's a $900 and we should be able to figure things out here and if the consensus is that it's a weaker phone then better for people here. If it's something that gains attention of Samsung and they can at least look at the process and if there is one little thing that they may be able to make in production then it benefits us the consumer. It could be they really went too far on the forming and they can't change the process and the corners are as brittle as they are. Then something to consider for Note 8... Enough complaints and maybe they will go with flat glassed Note 8. Again... good for future buyers.

I'm not a hater in the phone... just the opposite I love everything else and I'm gong through my concerns before I make my decision. I don't even start the threads... people reporting cracking their screens are. I am just giving my $1.25 cents lol. Over enough time and more users... we will get a better idea and the topic will die away or it will show there is an agreement.

-The Cracked Screen Evangelist

Ha! :) It does sound like we agree on more than not, and there are more reports of cracks than I normally see. I suppose if I didn't own the phone, and was prone to dropping my phone, I would certainly be paying more attention. I feel bad for anyone with a cracked screen too, it sucks. I would HATE it if it happened to me.

That said, any screen with a curved glass is way more at risk than a flat one. So comparing cracks on this to the number of cracks on flat displays isn't really fair IMO. Maybe the Note 8 will have better glass - but if it has a curved display, that will only go so far due to its exposure from a drop.

Overall, I would say to any potential buyer of the Note 7 (or of any curved display phone): Make sure you are prepared to be more careful with this phone than others.

Last edited:

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Ha! :) It does sound like we agree on more than not, and there are more reports of cracks than I normally see. I suppose if I didn't own the phone, and was prone to dropping my phone, I would certainly be paying more attention. I feel bad for anyone with a cracked screen too, it sucks. I would HATE it if it happened to me.

That said, any screen with a curved glass is way more at risk than a flat one. So comparing cracks on this the number of cracks on flat displays isn't really fair IMO. Maybe the Note 8 will have better glass - but if it has a curved display, that will only go so far due to its exposure from a drop.

Overall, I would say to any potential buyer of the Note 7 (or of any curved display phone): Make sure you are prepared to be more careful with this phone than others.
Yeah I carry my Note 5 with no case, I sure won't do that in the beginning with my Note 7 and I'm super careful. I don't drop often and I have broken one screen, but I wouldn't expect a Note 7 to survive the drop my caseless Note 5 did.

jackash0912

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
I toss my phone in my purse with other crap and always have. It's never caused an issue. I use a case and a screen protector as well, but I wouldn't expect my phone to break from putting in it my purse. I don't think I'd expect that kind of brittleness in a screen on a $900 phone.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I toss my phone in my purse with other crap and always have. It's never caused an issue. I use a case and a screen protector as well, but I wouldn't expect my phone to break from putting in it my purse. I don't think I'd expect that kind of brittleness in a screen on a $900 phone.
Oh you have a case and screen protector, that is a different matter.

Yes, numerous phones without a screen protector have broken in a purse. They aren't brittle, your purse has stuff in it usually that is bad for screens because it scratches, then you have a brittle screen due to damage. Also you can hit something with your purse while walking by and never know it.

Jad Morffier

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
I broke my Note 2 one month before my contract was over. Loved that phone. I removed Insurance as I only keep insurance for the first yr then after that I figure I'm wasting money. The N7 is so pretty and feels good to hold naked, but I want to keep it a long time. I have dropped other phones while getting out of the car because I forgot it was sitting in my lap!
I feel your pain man. I think I'm going to get a sleeve for my new Note7 instead of a case. That way I can still use it naked but have it protected while on my lap or in my pocket.

Kapettine

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Something weird is going on and I don't think it's just chance on how the phone is dropped. Youtube videos are showing it survive a variety of heights, as well as people on different forums. Yet there are others who are saying its breaking in cupholders, pockets, and from drops on carpet.

I do not use a case, I haven't for any of my smartphones ever. Guilty as charged, I've only ever ruined phones by water damage though not drops. Ironically, my first waterproof phone is the first to be cracking like crazy. Dropped the note 7 from waist height getting out of my car the first day, small crack on bottom. I accept that. Kneeling down playing with my little sister over a laminate wood floor shattering the top? This is a 12-18 inch drop on a relatively soft surface. I think this new gorilla glass is producing variable quality. Maybe because of the curve? Not sure, but a phone with or without a case shattering from a 1ft drop on to a laminate wood floor isn't acceptable to me for a $850 phone.

I wish there was a camera recording my reaction. This wasn't one of those pickups where you dread flipping it over to look at screen. I picked it up not even checking glass to "What in the ****!? How is that even possible?!"

I have had a very similar situation with mine. I did drop it the first week without a case but it just scuffed up the metal on the corner, no cracks or anything. I now have it in a case but no screen protector.

Yesterday while at work I randomly pulled my phone out of pocket and one of the edges has a spider crack now!! Are you serious?! In my pocket!! Today it same thing (I know the glass integrity is gone now, but my gosh) it did it in another spot an inch lower than the first!

This is really making me question whether I'm going to get another N7 from the recall or switch to 7 edge... Its driving me crazy because this is such an amazing phone! Is GG5 that aweful?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa