Power Down and Don't Charge Note 7 per The Consumer Product Safety Commission

Are you handing your phone in

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

team420

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Re: "The Blame Game"....who is responsible from this point forward?

I say the battery maker responsible for the faulty batteries should take the blame. Samsung used two battery manufactures to supply the batteries yet only one of them screwed the pooch. Samsung shouldn't take all the monetary loss, but that's my take.

Wrong... as far as the batteries are concerned.. Samsung is to blame. They contracted the production, sale and use of these batteries in their devices. Then, they didnt do q.c. testing to insure they were safe in their devices.

The product we all bought clearly has "Samsung" written on it, so they are to blame.

That being said, at this point, with all the media noise, text and email alerts, about the recall, I dont see how they should be held liable for someone continuing to use the device. Including me.

There are options available, including full refund. I choose to hold on to mine, but I'm by no means being forced to.

justin1578

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: Samsung limiting charge to 60% for current Note 7's to "help" with the explosion problem

Oh FFS

I wish I wasnt stuck in a BOGO with 4 phones from this company.

Last edited:

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

Samsung SDI is the battery maker.

I say the battery maker responsible for the faulty batteries should take the blame. Samsung used two battery manufactures to supply the batteries yet only one of them screwed the pooch. Samsung shouldn't take all the monetary loss, but that's my take.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Until both devices are held to the same standard, get used to hearing about it. What's "old" is how one line of devices is held to the fire each and every time there's a problem, and the other is always put into perspective if ever it has a problem.

Also, the point about the media is 100% true. And not just with phones. Until we as a people demand a return to quality journalism, we'll continue to be fed whatever narrative our media chooses to spoon feed us. But that is a much larger conversation for a different forum.

No surprise IMO if the heavily publicized events (that have been regurgitated as "new" several times) turn out to be due to other factors.

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I bought through Best Buy and my only option is
1. Return for a refund.
2. Exchange for an older model, PERMANENTLY.
3. Wait till replacements arrive.

So while alot of the carriers are allowing the use of some other phone during the wait, many places are still not offering that as an option.

Because of this, my wife is still using her Note 7.

Why isn't your wife returning her phone for a refund? She can buy a cheap phone to use why waiting for a replacement N7, if that's what she wants down the road. It would be foolish to take any needless risk of life, limb, or property, bt continuing to use her phone. Her decision to keep using her phone could adversely effect not just herself, but possibly others.

screwhead728

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
What if the Galaxy Note 7 doesn't get approve? Then what? Stay with the S7 Edge or switch to another phone like the iPhone 7 Plus? I want my Note 7 back already.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site

Wrong... as far as the batteries are concerned.. Samsung is to blame. They contracted the production, sale and use of these batteries in their devices. Then, they didnt do q.c. testing to insure they were safe in their devices.

The product we all bought clearly has "Samsung" written on it, so they are to blame.

That being said, at this point, with all the media noise, text and email alerts, about the recall, I dont see how they should be held liable for someone continuing to use the device. Including me.

There are options available, including full refund. I choose to hold on to mine, but I'm by no means being forced to.
You think they had time..when they build new phones every 6 months.

You think the automotive industry does that much quality testing ,
Society lives in a fast past now days.
Technology is growing by leaps and bounds.
Look at what all we have today that we didn't even have 15 yrs ago.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site

Why isn't your wife returning her phone for a refund? She can buy a cheap phone to use why waiting for a replacement N7, if that's what she wants down the road. It would be foolish to take any needless risk of life, limb, or property, to do otherwise . Her decision to keep using her phone could adversely effect not just herself, but possibly others.
Why do people keep pushing their agenda and opinions on other people? If someone weighs the risk and doesn't want to spend money on another phone, why does it matter? It's their choice.

The CDC estimates that 48 million people get sick, 128,000 are hospitalized and 3,000 die from foodborne diseases each year. Should everyone stop eating food?

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site

They initiated a recall, they told everyone it's possible it can explode, at this point it's like someone playing Russian roulette. Who's to blame? The gun manufacturer or the person that put the bullet in it and pulled the trigger.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Well, I am using mine until replacements are available. Samsung's statement though about pressured layers suggests adverse compression during the cell build process. That production process has very little tolerance after set-up, so IF that is the reason for the failures as Samsung now thinks, almost all devices should have already failed or went boom. You would also be having a lot of battery heat and the device will not be cool for weeks and suddenly boom.

The more Samsung communicates, the more they seem to not really know what it is. That is likely bad news if the CPSC audit also get that sense as well. Seems a miracle for this to resolved in less than a month for current Note 7 owners.

Whatever the case, a lot people are going to get fired and laid off to offset the cost, sales loss and to restore honor at Samsung.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

They initiated a recall, they told everyone it's possible it can explode, at this point it's like someone playing Russian roulette. Who's to blame? The gun manufacturer or the person that put the bullet in it and pulled the trigger.

At least instead of six chambers there are several thousand ;) Joking aside, makes no sense based on the issue Samsung now states is the problem for the cell to run normal for weeks and then get hot and explode. It should be hot almost out of box from first charge onward until it either stops working or fries.

Samsung seems to be going the wrong direction as each day goes by. Hopefully just poor perception on my part and everything will be resolved next week :) ;)

Sadly (if this drags into next month), I could end up buying a $400 64GB MXPE again and moving on. I gave my other MXPE to my son.

Xenuprime

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Mine has done this twice now. Got to around 40% and died. I am going to stop using it now and call Costco to see what will happen if I get the S7E now and want the Note when it comes in. I don't want to be listed as a "new" N7 customer and get put at the back of the line and I don't want any hassle with the 14 day return on the S7E.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: More than 70 phones are already explode in United states

...is total number sold, not just "defective". No one knows how many are defective.

No, the number sold IS the number that are defective. It's 100% of the devices not created for resale in China that are defective. So if you have a device, anywhere in the world, that was not created to be sold only in China, it is defective. A = B.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Ask for a manager if they don't play nicely at the CS desk.
Mine has done this twice now. Got to around 40% and died. I am going to stop using it now and call Costco to see what will happen if I get the S7E now and want the Note when it comes in. I don't want to be listed as a "new" N7 customer and get put at the back of the line and I don't want any hassle with the 14 day return on the S7E.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Except in this case it's not playing Russian Roulette with a revolver, it's playing with an automatic. Or if you want to keep the revolver, every single chamber is loaded.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: More than 70 phones are already explode in United states

No, the number sold IS the number that are defective. It's 100% of the devices not created for resale in China that are defective. So if you have a device, anywhere in the world, that was not created to be sold only in China, it is defective. A = B.

THIS....

The battery itself was not built correctly, so every pack that came out of that plant is at a high risk of doing its best Drogon impression. They wouldn't have recalled every single phone if it was only a certain batch, or limited to a particular day's run, etc. Its ALL Note 7s. That every one still being used hasn't failed is most likely just a matter of the luck of the draw....

Status
Not open for further replies.