Power Down and Don't Charge Note 7 per The Consumer Product Safety Commission

Are you handing your phone in

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Won't be that interesting. You'll probably be bored going from android to ios unless you don't enjoy doing anything with your phone.

My point...I don't. I buy a phone I stick with the launcher it comes with (exception being Arrow). I'm a windows phone user by heart, so not into all the launcher tweaking. Changing up wallpapers and fonts is the most I do.

boltsbearsjosh

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
These are the kind of statements that don't make sense. YOU might be bored. Everyone is different. Most people do the same thing on their phones: text, email, phone, social media. All the apps they use on one for entertainment they can get on the on the other. Features of the phone like being waterproof or wireless charging do not make you not bored.
Makes perfect sense. iOS is a very limited OS compared to Android and someone who has never used ios before is probably going to find it boring compared to android. Not everyone of course, but the majority would.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
These are the kind of statements that don't make sense. YOU might be bored. Everyone is different. Most people do the same thing on their phones: text, email, phone, social media. All the apps they use on one for entertainment they can get on the on the other. Features of the phone like being waterproof or wireless charging do not make you not bored.

After leaving Apple nearly 4 yrs ago.
I couldn't imagine going back to Apple.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
My close friend has a PhD in chemical engineering, did his thesis on alternative energy storage and currently works for the navy as a civilian in their energy research department based in Singapore.

He told me I was nuts to be carrying the note around and to dump it immediately.

Of COURSE he said that: Alternative energy... ;) I used to build them, test them, supervise production, QC rework supervision (for these type it was scrap and disposition). Go by what you know. You chose to turn it in and I chose to keep. We both seem,content with our decision :)

That all said, for somebody to spas in a meeting about someone with a Note 7 and feigning mortal worry, that is also nuts and hyperbole to the "11" on a Spinal Tap amp. By that measure they must not drive or use cars, since that is far more mortally risky.

homer813

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I'm just the opposite, after leaving Apple a few years ago, and being with Android, mainly Samsung, I'm possibly getting ready to take the plunge with IOS and the iPhone 7+.

I'm doing the same. I love both of them so I'm always torn. They both have their pros and cons. If we could combine them somehow it would be great. But until then, you have to choose your sides. I really like the Note 7, but after all of this, I don't see a reason to hang onto something with all this uncertainty, and for as much as I paid for it.

dogdooley

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
According to the WSJ, US phones won't get the battery limiting update anytime soon and we are still waiting on the CPSC to do the recall!

Samsung Plans Software Update to Cut Galaxy Note 7 Fire Risk - WSJ

U.S. consumer-safety officials continued to sift through a range of issues related to the phone’s problems on Wednesday. They hoped to move quickly to issue an official recall in cooperation with Samsung, but such announcements typically include a planned fix for the faulty product.

“CPSC is taking seriously its obligation to independently look into the safety of any replacement product that the company seeks to provide to consumers,” a CPSC official said this week. “We are working as hard we can and as fast as we can.”

Samsung said it continues to work with the U.S. agency and its carrier partners. “No action will be taken without the approval of the CPSC,” the phone maker said.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
According to the WSJ, US phones won't get the battery limiting update anytime soon and we are still waiting on the CPSC to do the recall!

Samsung Plans Software Update to Cut Galaxy Note 7 Fire Risk - WSJ

U.S. consumer-safety officials continued to sift through a range of issues related to the phone’s problems on Wednesday. They hoped to move quickly to issue an official recall in cooperation with Samsung, but such announcements typically include a planned fix for the faulty product.

“CPSC is taking seriously its obligation to independently look into the safety of any replacement product that the company seeks to provide to consumers,” a CPSC official said this week. “We are working as hard we can and as fast as we can.”

Samsung said it continues to work with the U.S. agency and its carrier partners. “No action will be taken without the approval of the CPSC,” the phone maker said.

........ If the recall includes the devices already staged as replacements, it is pretty much game over for the Note 7. This could result if the audit concludes a systemic failure of QC.

stronggeek

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
After leaving Apple nearly 4 yrs ago.
I couldn't imagine going back to Apple.

I'm just the opposite, after leaving Apple a few years ago, and being with Android, mainly Samsung, I'm possibly getting ready to take the plunge with IOS and the iPhone 7+.

I'm with boltsbearsjosh & cardboard60.

I've used used windows, ios & android and I always end up back on android.

I returned my note 7 and tried to use a borrowed iphone 6 (I really thought I could do it) and it was a horrible experience!
I'm using the s7e refurb for now. Much better experience than ios. You'll see!

It was lifeless and limited. It's the reason my friend gave it up so easily. She now owns a note 7 and won't give
it up until the new 7 drops.

I'm just glad we have choices, but I'm too spoiled with the android os to lose that much control to ios. I also thought
ios should be WAY smoother and faster for not allowing much user control, but in most cases android now keeps up.

Good luck though!

dvarapala

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site

What's interesting to me about that video is the fact that, unless there is a wireless charging pad built into that table, the phone was not being charged at the time it caught fire. Yes, this is a different type of phone, and the failure mode can certainly be different, but perhaps we're wrong to assume that the N7 won't catch fire unless it is being charged.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes, this is a different type of phone, and the failure mode can certainly be different, but perhaps we're wrong to assume that the N7 won't catch fire unless it is being charged.

I know of one woman that claimed her husband's Note 7 went up while it was not plugged in or on a charging pad. I can't really substantiate it like with a news story, which is why I hadn't mentioned it before.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm tired of hearing these stories. We wouldn't be hearing these stories if people were returning their phones.

Any Note 7 exploding stories from this point aren't getting any sympathy from me. Because now your making the choice to continue operating a potentially dangerous device.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm tired of hearing these stories. We wouldn't be hearing these stories if people were returning their phones.

Any Note 7 exploding stories from this point aren't getting any sympathy from me. Because now your making the choice to continue operating a potentially dangerous device.

It is the same stories repeated over and over and not verified. One of which was discredited since not a Note 7.

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
What's interesting to me about that video is the fact that, unless there is a wireless charging pad built into that table, the phone was not being charged at the time it caught fire. Yes, this is a different type of phone, and the failure mode can certainly be different, but perhaps we're wrong to assume that the N7 won't catch fire unless it is being charged.

Samsung said its not just when charging, when using also.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site

Wouldn't be hearing these stories if the cpsc would let Samsung replace the phones either.
Like I said. Everybody at the carriers are still using their phones waiting on new ones to be released.
If it's this time next year. I will still be using my phone.
I think I can handle it if it catch a on fire..which I don't think it's gonna do

Voxelflinger

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
Samsung said its not just when charging, when using also.

If that is correct then why would Samsung want to reduce the charging percentage? By their logic if true a 60% charged phone being used can still burn up. Would it not be better if Samsung had the carriers just kill the phone service? Or brick it so WiFi would not work.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
If that is correct then why would Samsung want to reduce the charging percentage? By their logic if true a 60% charged phone being used can still burn up. Would it not be better if Samsung had the carriers just kill the phone service? Or brick it so WiFi would not work.

As someone correctly pointed out, it would actually increase chances of an event, since the user would be charging more. Seems a tunnel vision effort to get people to turn in their devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non