Power Down and Don't Charge Note 7 per The Consumer Product Safety Commission

Are you handing your phone in

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
People not letting go is probably a tribute to how much the Note 7 rocks. Anything else is Nickelback. Well, the V20 might be worthy...

keepnitreel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Let me see if I got this right. You went in to Verizon, traded in your Note7, got a loner S7edge, went on the Samsung Promotion website, registered the s7edge (did you have to scan in a bill showing you paid money for the S7edge?) to get a (black) Gear VR, and have paperwork from the Verizon store showing you can trade in the S7edge for a new Note7 when they are available?
Very sinister (just like your current avatar).
Lol!!!!
Verizon does a exchange/return when doing the double exchange... The S7edge is actually a real purchase and therefore qualifies for the promo. The loophole is, Verizon is allowing a second exchange/return which is unprecedented. Therefore, when the N7 is back out on the market... The second exchange/return will appear the same way and we're eligible for any promo Samsung might offer with the new N7....

I have everything from each promo, going back to the S7edge release in march. So unless Samsung offers something new, I may have to end up with 2 of something

kabeeo

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm not really overly concerned. The media has it half wrong and is doing a terrible job as is Samsung's PR department letting it go on like this. Just Google "burning iphone" - they go up in flames as well. The whole thing is ridiculous.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
There may have been reports that started it.

Galaxy Note7 explodes Archives - PhonesReviews UK- Mobiles, Apps, Networks, Software, Tablet etc

But the media wasn't going crazy with reports when Samsung announced but from the reports the choose what they did.
Samsung issues recall September 1/2. I don't think they were badgered into it at this point. They decided after finding 35 reports.

U.S. carriers respond to Galaxy Note 7 recall by pulling device, offering refunds | PhoneDog

Wild reports didn't come in until after the recall. Tampa, Austrailia, etc

Tampa Jeep explodes from Note 7 Labor Day Monday
St. Pete family says Jeep totaled by exploding Note 7 - Story | FOX 13 Tampa Bay

To me they went 100% recall after some reports but the badgering didn't really start until afterwards.

They did not go full 100% aggressive campaign until after the videos and media started badgering about them. No validation- just accusation. Then the hysteria. Soundtrack by Nickelback (not a good thing).

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Hopefully the CPSC doesn't get side tracked by all the lies about "exploding" Note 7s during use. None of the "exploding" phones during use have been Note 7 phones. Even if Notes had been an issue it should have no baring on the replacement Notes that have a different battery.

There was this person:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17721...in-teachers-hands-in-the-middle-of-busy-cafe/
That was a S7 (non-edge) - even the title of the link is incorrect. She accused the S7 of exploding while she used it, but if you look at the pictures of her hands they weren't effected in the least...very questionable.

This person:
Man Sues Samsung For 3rd Degree Burns Caused By Exploding Phone | The Daily Caller
This was an s7edge that he accused of exploding in his pocket. Again, its questionable.

Then there is the boy who apparently had a phone explode when he was using it. That was revealed to have been a Galaxy Core phone.

All these "exploding" stories after the announcement was made. We know the phones don't really "explode", and these people all making these accusations after the announcement for the Note (none of them having Note phones, and all of these phones having no history of meltdowns. Its very suspicious on the accusers part, and the media hasn't been doing us any favors by not reporting correct information (they've been assuming they've been Note7s having issues without doing any investigations into what they really were first).

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Still not seeing how waiting an official recall by the CPSC is a good thing. That would likely mean they do not accept Samsung's containment efforts, process or corrective action and likely the "S" label devices are recalled too. Seems we would want this to remain voluntary for Samsung.

Voluntary should mean replacements in a few weeks verses official CPSC recall that could be a few months instead of weeks.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
The CPSC wants their cut of the pie.
Still not seeing how waiting an official recall by the CPSC is a good thing. That would likely mean they do not accept Samsung's containment efforts, process or corrective action and likely the "S" label devices are recalled too. Seems we would want this to remain voluntary for Samsung.

Voluntary should mean replacements in a few weeks verses official CPSC recall that could be a few months instead of weeks.

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I'd be interested to know how many people here have actually received any communication about the recall directly from their carrier or Samsung that wasn't initiated by a customer phone call or inquiry. I have heard absolutely ZERO. If I were not tech saavy, and online quite a bit, I would know nothing about this recall.
Hmm.... As much as I love to hate Bell Mobility.... They have been pretty good. I have seen on a few other threads that some replacements have been shipping now. Maybe a difference in the country with the regulatory issues?

NCTRNL2

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
What's the difference? My single receipt shows a full value refund of my Note 7 and the cancelation of my NEXT plan. Then it shows I bought a s7 edge case and an s7edge onto a next plan. All in 1 step. Total due from me was $30 for the case... which I will get back when the new notes come out. Easy as pie.

They are offering it to you, you just refuse to qualify. They will not give you anything so that you hang on to your phone that they have advised you is dangerous. Do whatever you want, but don't expect to be rewarded for it.

Pretty sure my entire point was that I am NOT expecting to be rewarded for it. And no one was expressly said that you will get one if you give up your phone. Just that some people are getting this at certain retail outlets.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully the CPSC doesn't get side tracked by all the lies about "exploding" Note 7s during use. None of the "exploding" phones during use have been Note 7 phones. Even if Notes had been an issue it should have no baring on the replacement Notes that have a different battery.

There was this person:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17721...in-teachers-hands-in-the-middle-of-busy-cafe/
That was a S7 (non-edge) - even the title of the link is incorrect. She accused the S7 of exploding while she used it, but if you look at the pictures of her hands they weren't effected in the least...very questionable.

This person:
Man Sues Samsung For 3rd Degree Burns Caused By Exploding Phone | The Daily Caller
This was an s7edge that he accused of exploding in his pocket. Again, its questionable.

Then there is the boy who apparently had a phone explode when he was using it. That was revealed to have been a Galaxy Core phone.

All these "exploding" stories after the announcement was made. We know the phones don't really "explode", and these people all making these accusations after the announcement for the Note (none of them having Note phones, and all of these phones having no history of meltdowns. Its very suspicious on the accusers part, and the media hasn't been doing us any favors by not reporting correct information (they've been assuming they've been Note7s having issues without doing any investigations into what they really were first).
Yeah, there was one here in Boston back in early September too that one Local Channel ran with as a Galaxy Note 7 when it was clearly a Galaxy S6 Active (being charged with an over-the-counter, "$5.00 Gas Station" charging chord, BTW) - many, many emails but wouldn't retract or correct their story!

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Yes. As they are famous for, the media has blown this out of proportion with poor or no fact checking or verification of any kind. Reporting Note 7s where none were present is a BIG help with an issue like this. Thank you, news media, for all your help.
Yeah, there was one here in Boston back in early September too that one Local Channel ran with as a Galaxy Note 7 when it was clearly a Galaxy S6 Active (being charged with an over-the-counter, "$5.00 Gas Station" charging chord, BTW) - many, many emails but wouldn't retract or correct their story!

Bbarbie

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
I just got off the phone with Samsung 1800 number guy. He said from this Monday it's 7 to 10 business days until the approval process is done for new note 7. Again I don't know how much I believe that as each employee says different things, my friend got a response that at&t will get them this week which clearly has not happened. Also I asked him if cspc does the testing themselves or reads samsung report he said they test it :/ lol. Again all sorts of information floating around.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
What's interesting to me about that video is the fact that, unless there is a wireless charging pad built into that table, the phone was not being charged at the time it caught fire. Yes, this is a different type of phone, and the failure mode can certainly be different, but perhaps we're wrong to assume that the N7 won't catch fire unless it is being charged.

There have been reports where it wasn't charging and happened so it doesn't seem charging is the sole trigger.

seajypsy

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
Article from the WSJ linked by MSN How Samsung Botched Its Galaxy Note 7 Recall

The big take away for me in this article is there will be a formal recall and the delay in that happening is questions regarding the precise problem and how best to correct it.
I have a feeling this may turn out to be a more prolonged process than I'd hoped for. Article also mentions some replacements having already been delivered to carriers.

spridell

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Article from the WSJ linked by MSN How Samsung Botched Its Galaxy Note 7 Recall

The big take away for me in this article is there will be a formal recall and the delay in that happening is questions regarding the precise problem and how best to correct it.
I have a feeling this may turn out to be a more prolonged process than I'd hoped for. Article also mentions some replacements having already been delivered to carriers.

agreed

dogdooley

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I just got off the phone with Samsung 1800 number guy. He said from this Monday it's 7 to 10 business days until the approval process is done for new note 7. Again I don't know how much I believe that as each employee says different things, my friend got a response that at&t will get them this week which clearly has not happened. Also I asked him if cspc does the testing themselves or reads samsung report he said they test it :/ lol. Again all sorts of information floating around.

CPSC does not test products. They do not have the resources to test products themselves. They rely on 3rd parties. Samsung is responsible for testing their products.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Which is even worse now.

We now have to wait for a "third party lab" to test the Note 7's

Wow. I'm glad I washed my hands of the Note 7. Outstanding device but too much baggage with it now. I will wait for the S8 edge. Hopefully they go all out on it after this fiasco.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
"Just because a simple phone could turn into a destructive inferno doesn't mean that it will -- even if it's a new Galaxy Note."

"The defect was revealed when several contributing factors happened simultaneously, which included sub-optimized assembly process that created variations of tension and exposed electrodes due to insufficient insulation tape," a Samsung representative tells CNET

Some interesting info here. Wonder how long the referenced recalls took?

https://www.cnet.com/news/why-is-samsung-galaxy-note-7-exploding-overheating/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87