The Unavoidable stigma...

dlgus

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
This is the biggest issue on a phone ever, somemore on one of the highest profile phone. It will be in people's mind for quite a while.

What people? I agree that most people don't know or care, aside from those of us who have one/want one, need to replace one.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
What people? I agree that most people don't know or care, aside from those of us who have one/want one, need to replace one.

Or the media who wants viewers and click (bait). My local morning news today talked about it. But did not talk about how it was cleared and replacements coming on the 21st.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Wait till issues start popping up with the Iphone 7 most will forget the Note 7 fiasco and move onto that joke of a phone. Samsung will recover and so will we.

Are you kidding? What issues? The headphone jack issue? This is a serious case of wishful thinking. Samsung will recover but they will bleed money with the Note 7 and will be glad when the S8 is out to get over it.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The Note 7 rocks! In fact, when I am in a crowded room I'm gonna yell, Pardon me while I whip this out! Note 7 baby! :)

I am getting a sense that the Note 7 is trying to be assimilated into the realm of the politically correct minded folks- Note 7 FTW!!

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I'd say it is a big deal, period. But just from a reputation point of view, every time someone walks onto a plane, they are going to hear an announcement about it. That is big-time marketing fail. Those who suggest the Note 7 should disappear and Samsung should get on with the 8 are right on the money. This phone is never going to recover and as long as it is out there..

It's a big deal, for now and for the near future. It is topical now. In a month, when the replacement phones are out and the articles stop, no one will be talking about it except tech nerds like us. They will stop announcing the phone on airplanes.
The bottom line is that I think it WILL blow over eventually. Everything does. Such is the cycle of news in today's world. But now, in the heat of the mess, with articles everyday, and announcements on airplanes, it is very easy to feel the other way. I understand your point of view, and I see how you and others can feel this way. I don't agree with it though, and the way news works, this will be forgotten by the holidays if not sooner. We will see soon enough ..

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Well, the only real thing I can say at this point is that had they not did what they done as soon as they did. it would have been much worse for them.

Yes, they are getting hammered, and yes, some will want to sue them, but ultimately, it's not as bad as it potentially could have been.

Another thing I'd like to add is that maybe we should be discussing the potential limitations and issues of current lithium battery tech due to this debacle. Seems like it hasn't been discussed all that much until recently.

dlgus

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I agree. That's the most unfortunate part of all this. Samsung was in a roll after the S7 Edge and then the Note 7... To the point that people weren't even looking forward to the next iPhone. Horrible time for something like this to come along and derail the brand.

Awesome phone though. My favorite phone purchase in years.

'Derail the brand???' Only until this blows over, and then(much as in a train derailment), they will right the cars, clean up the track and chug merrily on their way. Will it cost them customers? Sure...but I think people are WAY too gleeful over the idea that this problem is going to be the stone that takes Goliath down.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Make sure you have flames wallpaper when you do. ;) :D
The Note 7 rocks! In fact, when I am in a crowded room I'm gonna yell, Pardon me while I whip this out! Note 7 baby! :)

I am getting a sense that the Note 7 is trying to be assimilated into the realm of the politically correct minded folks- Note 7 FTW!!

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Well, the only real thing I can say at this point is that had they not did what they done as soon as they did. it would have been much worse for them.

Yes, they are getting hammered, and yes, some will want to sue them, but ultimately, it's not as bad as it potentially could have been.

Another thing I'd like to add is that maybe we should be discussing the potential limitations and issues of current lithium battery tech due to this debacle. Seems like it hasn't been discussed all that much until recently.

It is a displacement issue for physics and energy. There are other options, but they are even more toxic and expensive (for now). The one constant law is for every force, there is an equal and opposite one. This applies both directly and indirectly. An example is nuclear power. A lot of power coverage for a fraction of the footprint and resources. The catch (opposite force) is all the baggage that goes with it.

Truly an "is what it is" condition. The answer for Samsung was not to rush and compromise QC standards. They obviously did based on the scope of failure for a very simple thing to check and correct before a production run. They apparently missed multiple times.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Stigma? I honestly couldn't care less. Just gonna go about using my replacement Note 7 when I get it and move on to think about more important things.

hblaze

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
'Derail the brand???' Only until this blows over, and then(much as in a train derailment), they will right the cars, clean up the track and chug merrily on their way. Will it cost them customers? Sure...but I think people are WAY too gleeful over the idea that this problem is going to be the stone that takes Goliath down.
To be clear, I'm a Note 7 owner and love the phone. It's the best phone on the market right now... But owners can't really brag of that fact because virtually no one cares how good the phone is right now, except Note owners. There are 0 iPhone owners jealous of the Note 7 right now... whereas it was the phone to beat just a few weeks ago. That is what I mean by the brand being tarnished.

Carlo Villa

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Make sure you have flames wallpaper when you do. ;) :D
238b496fc88f7fad6d454139481ea845.jpg

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site

I mentioned that at the end of my prior post. I suspect lith-ion batteries will be going to the obsolete-tech dump in the sky over the next 10 years. There have simply been too many incidents too many times. People like to put their phones on the charger overnight without wondering whether they awaken to a smoke-filled home. Apparently, the main impediment is weight/size. The replacements are already here--they just are bigger and heavier. I suspect this problem will get solved and more people will be working on it.

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm still buying one. I'm going to wait until around the Holidays though. Last year I got the "gifts of the season" promotion from Samsung and a $200 gift card from Best Buy. I'm hoping to score a similar deal this year.

Voxelflinger

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
Blue Bell ice cream is coming back as did Tylenol and other companies with product issues. Samsung is a very diverse company. This is a small dent in their overall picture. The number of reported explosions compared to the units sold is extremely low. Samsung did not have to trigger a recall. People did die from contaminated ice cream before they were forced to recall the product.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer