New "green battery" Note7 version, extremely slow charging!

Toddman214

Sep 21, 2016
Visit site
Hello,
I just picked up my third Note7, yesterday 9/20. Long story with the first two, but in short, I was sold the 1st and then the 2nd, both under the recall.

So, I get this phone, and upon opening the box, the battery icon is the normal white color. The sales guy says "let's run this update", which then tells you that if your phone is a bad one, the update will warn you, but if it is a good phone, the update will turn the battery icon green. In fact, my battery icon IS now green.

So, I threw my new "fixed" Note 7 on the charger before bed last night (about 9pm) with about 35% factory charge on it. This morning at 5am, the battery was at 91% charge. As I type this, it is now down to 85% charge, as of 5:17am. Not sure whats going on with the extremely slow charge and fast discharge. Anyone else notice this on their new "green battery" version?

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Put my phone on charger last night before going to bed and it was just fine. The update with the green icon self installed overnight. The screen was on and it woke me up when doing so. Now this morning it is at 74% and it will not charge. I plug the cable in to my 6p and it works just fine but the Note 7 will not recognize the charger. So frustrating.

shrxwin

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
my replacement charged fine from factory charge via included USB-C cord last night and then after using this morning, topped off quickly with Samsung Fast Wireless this morning. but will definitely keep an eye on it!

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
My replacement is charging fine. I noticed it seemed to be charging faster than normal, then realized it was of course set to fast charge. I prefer that to be normally off, so turned it off which is fine for me. Downloaded 20GB of apps overnight using wifi and all okay. Not using fast charge with a non replaceable battery.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Yes, the fast charging is not as fast as it was before with the white battery icon.
Same on the explosive and non explosive models after the green battery icon update.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Seeing no change here, but everything is relative (I do not use fast charge). It charged real quick the first time I charged it- too quick, since used to fast being off. I see no value in fast charge, unless needing for a specific time. Even the setting warns you it gets warm. Heat spikes over time is not a battery's best friend.

Perhaps another way to make sure those sealed devices keep to the two year retirement curve ;)

Rob.G

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Mine updated during the night too.. which I'll admit I'm not happy about. I had mine set to PIN code to start the phone, so had I not awakened early to check the time, I could have slept through my alarm since the phone didn't start back up until I entered the PIN. I've since disabled that "feature." :)

So far so good on charging and discharge, fwiw. The charger I use at work is a Motorola wall charger and it charges almost as fast as the Samsung fast charger (but doesn't invoke the actual fast-charging mode). Been using it for years on my Note 3. It's been plugged in for a half hour and has gone from 72% to 86%.

BTW I was watching a Periscope yesterday afternoon and the phone got VERY hot. I decided against plugging it in just in case (because I was at work).. though I was also pleasantly surprised it only dropped 10% for about an hour of Periscoping. My Note 3 would have lost half its charge in that timeframe.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Put my phone on charger last night before going to bed and it was just fine. The update with the green icon self installed overnight. The screen was on and it woke me up when doing so. Now this morning it is at 74% and it will not charge. I plug the cable in to my 6p and it works just fine but the Note 7 will not recognize the charger. So frustrating.

So I think I figured out the issue. Last night I was using my Nexus 6P USB-C charger. It was charging fine and according to the phones battery usage graph had charged to 100% when this update installed on its own around 3am. I woke up at 5:30 am to find my phone at 79% and not charging while still connected to the charger. I unboxed my Note 7 charger and plugged it in and it seemed to charge fine. Was up to 100% before I got ready for leave for work.

As I'm typing this I connected my Note 7 to an HTC 10 charger I have at the office and it is charging fine. So now I'm completely confused all over again. Not going to worry about it though as long as it is charging properly. Apparently for some reason after the update my Note just doesn't like the 6P charger.

Cotano

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I got the green icon update via AT&T yesterday and mind charges the same speed...... And I used wired and wireless fast charger.... Same speed.......

This concerns me. The whole point of fast charging for me is topping it off while I'm in the room and awake. If it were slow this wouldn't work.

jbcatl

Aug 23, 2016
Visit site
Mine updated during the night too.. which I'll admit I'm not happy about. I had mine set to PIN code to start the phone, so had I not awakened early to check the time, I could have slept through my alarm since the phone didn't start back up until I entered the PIN. I've since disabled that "feature." :)

I overslept by an hour ... D'oh!

Mine charges completely normally - I did turn off fast charge since I charge it overnight which is ample time. I did have some issues getting the Samsung Mail app to configure correctly, so did a factory data reset and started over and everything has been fine since then.

miyanc

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I was wonder this as I plugged mine in for the first time. I havent noticed any differences. I charged some yesterday in wireless and some directly plugged in. I then charged last night wirelessly no problems. It's a fast wireless charger.

My question would be to see if someone recorded charge times before and then now. Fast or otherwise.

Inevitable Flux

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
Yes, the fast charging is not as fast as it was before with the white battery icon.
Same on the explosive and non explosive models after the green battery icon update.

So weird. It's the opposite for me. Fast charging seems to be ridiculously fast on the new Note 7. Charged from 34% to full in about 40 mins last night.. which is noticeably faster than normal. Didn't get exceptionally warm either.

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I picked up my new phone and, after doing the data transfer, there was only about 14% left on the phone. I have a new (non OEM) USB-C cable in the car and immediately plugged it in. The lightening-bolt appeared on the battery, but it wasn't charging. Shortly it was down to 8% then 6%. I shut it off, but it stayed at 6%, even though it appeared to be charging.

When I got home, I tried charging with the fast-charger, using a similar cable. Same result - appeared to be charging, but it wasn't (although it indicated it would be fully charged in 6+ hours). I then changed cables to a different brand, and it charged fine. Obviously the cable was at fault, but I used 2 different cables (both the same brand, however).

dzstoys

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
My AT&T phone updated in the middle of the night while on my wireless charger. I woke up to the green battery icon, a full charge and it seems to be charging normally. I am not sure how this would be related, but I am getting notifications on my AOD now that were not working prior to this update.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if the update added additional voltage checks that weren't there before as an additional safety feature. Maybe if a cable doesn't meet certain requirements, it will not charge correctly or at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress