Anyone else waiting for Apple to reveal the iPhone 8 before buying the Note 8?

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
I keep hearing this same rhetoric about the iPhone being boring but what about the Note 8 is exciting?!

I mean it’s basically what the S8+ should have been. Samsung is comparing the cameras of the Note 8 to the 7 Plus, a phone that has been out for 11 months and is on the brink of being refreshed so it’s pointless. No 3x zoom like the rumor mill was stating, so again Samsung just catching up not being the leader. Blah blah I know the response already well “The Note 8 has dual OIS camera modules” but we’ll see what tricks Apple has up their sleeve in a couple weeks.

They keep pushing Bixby, another useless and annoying feature along with Dex another pointless add-on.

So why is it ok for the Apple bashing but “Oh my the almighty Note 8 and Samsung must not be questioned on anything! It is perfect!”

The iPhone Edition and 7S variants will sell better on its first weekend of preorders than this thing will.

Also when will the Note 8 get Oreo? Samsung didn’t even mention that in the keynote. That could have been a good bone to throw out there.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I keep reading leaks (surprisingly the day the Note 8 is available for preorder) is that the 8 well be delayed. Plus limited quantities. With the 7S, 7s+ also coming out, I don't think people will jump on the 8.

I'm not an Apple user, so I wouldn't get an iPhone. Saw them, helped others wth them, read about them, etc., but just not interested.

JHStewart1023

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
iPhone hasn't been innovative in years, I have FINALLY decided to stay away from them after the galaxy 8 launch earlier this year. even the new iPhone looks like a galaxy, so sad.

Jona005

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
No. I had an iPhone 7 plus, and while it was a good experience, iOS just isn't for me. Going back to Android I immediately remembered how much I love the ability to customize. I'm sure the iPhone 8 will be beautiful, but I'll pass.

Carrie Greicar

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Nope. There's just too many things I miss when I leave android. I don't like the way Iphone attaches pictures to emails, I don't like that there isn't a notification light, I don't like that you can't customize icons and the screen. And I feel like their set up is boring. I like having an app drawer and don't like having every app I have on the home screens with folders and such. That's not to say that Iphone doesn't have some neat features like their messaging app is pretty cool, and I like their pictures that move. But overall I just prefer Android.

magichoward

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I keep hearing this same rhetoric about the iPhone being boring but what about the Note 8 is exciting?!

I mean it’s basically what the S8+ should have been. Samsung is comparing the cameras of the Note 8 to the 7 Plus, a phone that has been out for 11 months and is on the brink of being refreshed so it’s pointless. No 3x zoom like the rumor mill was stating, so again Samsung just catching up not being the leader. Blah blah I know the response already well “The Note 8 has dual OIS camera modules” but we’ll see what tricks Apple has up their sleeve in a couple weeks.

They keep pushing Bixby, another useless and annoying feature along with Dex another pointless add-on.

So why is it ok for the Apple bashing but “Oh my the almighty Note 8 and Samsung must not be questioned on anything! It is perfect!”

The iPhone Edition and 7S variants will sell better on its first weekend of preorders than this thing will.

Also when will the Note 8 get Oreo? Samsung didn’t even mention that in the keynote. That could have been a good bone to throw out there.

I kinda agree. Not to mention much longer support and updates and back up software and now longer battery life.. I still remember when I could trash my iPhone friends.. Bigger screen, removable battery, infra red they were the days... Now we just have the SD cards.... And if it's true that next year iPhone will have a pen that would be a game changed

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I can see why some who were interested in the Galaxy S8/S8+ might've been wanting to wait to see what the new iPhone would be, but not the Note. The Note is in it's own category and the iPhone has nothing that would convince me to ditch the Note line. The only reason I'd wait for the iPhone unveiling is to see if Samsung added any other color options or incentives to get the Note 8.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
No. I'll get the Note 8, and if it disappoints, the iPhone 8 will be unveiled within the 14 day return period of the Note 8. If the FPS location is better on the iPhone 8 and it is finally updated in all the ways that it's rumored to be updated (wireless charging, curved displays, FPS sensor under glass, 3D facial scanning), then I'll definitely get it and return the Note 8.

Basically I'll be renting the Note 8 for $35 in the 14 day return period. I'll keep it if I like it.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

I agree with this. The fingerprint sensor on the Note 8 sucks, especially on such a tall device. Truth be told, this is the first Note device I'm not very excited about. I've already preordered it, but I'm not thrilled about it.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Oh man. Let's jump right in, shall we? The S pen is always extremely exciting to me because it offers functionality and software features that no one else can even come close to. It's sleek, rounded design with beautiful screen and in hand feel. Samsung cameras have been dominant for years, Iris scanning is exciting and a cool feature, the new dual cameras is a first for a Samsung flagship and it's exciting to see how it performs in real world use. 6 GB of Ram will sure be exciting as well, to see how it holds up and to see how the phone manages it.

The Note isn't what the S8 should have been, because that would make the S8 the Note due to the S pen and then it would defeat the purpose of two different lines. The reason Samsung is comparing the Note 8 to the iPhone 7 plus, is because that is the newest iPhone on the market. They can't compare it to a device that has yet to be unveiled and released. You understand that, right? I'm sure it'll handle it's business well against the iPhone 8 also, don't you worry.

You're right, Bixby is stupid. But everyone here agrees with you on that, so it's a moot point.

No one cares how well devices sell (except the manufacturers). Android fans have long since conceded that Apple fans will buy the iPhone no matter what it does (or doesn't) have, so having the largest number of simpletons who will buy everything and anything, isn't all that much of an indicator of how good the phone is.

The Note 8 will probably get Oreo in about 19 months when we're all excited about Android Q.

Word of advice: If you are going to get frustrated by people who love and are excited about the newest addition to the Note line, you may want to not read the Note 8 forums at the moment. It'll just be upsetting to you.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Oh man. Let's jump right in, shall we? The S pen is always extremely exciting to me because it offers functionality and software features that no one else can even come close to. It's sleek, rounded design with beautiful screen and in hand feel. Samsung cameras have been dominant for years, Iris scanning is exciting and a cool feature, the new dual cameras is a first for a Samsung flagship and it's exciting to see how it performs in real world use. 6 GB of Ram will sure be exciting as well, to see how it holds up and to see how the phone manages it.

The Note isn't what the S8 should have been, because that would make the S8 the Note due to the S pen and then it would defeat the purpose of two different lines. The reason Samsung is comparing the Note 8 to the iPhone 7 plus, is because that is the newest iPhone on the market. They can't compare it to a device that has yet to be unveiled and released. You understand that, right? I'm sure it'll handle it's business well against the iPhone 8 also, don't you worry.

You're right, Bixby is stupid. But everyone here agrees with you on that, so it's a moot point.

No one cares how well devices sell (except the manufacturers). Android fans have long since conceded that Apple fans will buy the iPhone no matter what it does (or doesn't) have, so having the largest number of simpletons who will buy everything and anything, isn't all that much of an indicator of how good the phone is.

The Note 8 will probably get Oreo in about 19 months when we're all excited about Android Q.

Word of advice: If you are going to get frustrated by people who love and are excited about the newest addition to the Note line, you may want to not read the Note 8 forums at the moment. It'll just be upsetting to you.

He's not the only one that's not thrilled about the Note 8. I preordered one, but I'm not very thrilled about it. Sure, it'll be better than my S8, but I was way more excited for the Note 7 last year.

And Apple isn't for just "simpletons". Apple's software does a lot things better than Android's software. But Android also does a lot things better than iOS. It's not black vs white. I was happy with my iPhone 7 Plus, just like I was happy with my Note 7 and S8.

Dark Pixels ll

Jul 24, 2017
Visit site
We go through this every year. People are allowed to find Apple boring, just as they're allowed to criticize Samsung. It always kills me when Apple people start showing up on a Samsung thread to defend them like that's going to mean something here... It's not.

Celebrate choice and go by the phone you like. Guess what? No matter what you buy, someone is going to find it boring and flawed.

Last edited:

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
He's not the only one that's not thrilled about the Note 8. I preordered one, but I'm not very thrilled about it. Sure, it'll be better than my S8, but I was way more excited for the Note 7 last year.

And Apple isn't for just "simpletons". Apple's software does a lot things better than Android's software. But Android also does a lot things better than iOS. It's not black vs white. I was happy with my iPhone 7 Plus, just like I was happy with my Note 7 and S8.

Oh come on, man. Where in my post did I say Apple was just for "simpletons"? I get so tired of people who see what they want to see in a post and then ruin the discussion because they misunderstood completely. I said that Apple has THE LARGEST NUMBER OF SIMPLETONS. I know Samsung has plenty of "lemmings" as well, but they don't hold a candle to Apple and their fanbase that will buy everything and anything. Please try to actually see what I said as opposed to what you hoped I said so you could then attack it.

And of course you won't be thrilled about upgrading from a S8 to the Note 8. That isn't much of an upgrade at all. That's not Samsung's fault that you want to upgrade in such a short time frame.