Possible iPhone convert

dohlo

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I've been playing with mine since last night when I got home and the screen is absolutely no comparison. That's not to say the iPhone screen isn't great, because it is pretty good. But the Note is just exceptional. It could just be me but I find I've got less eye strain on the AMOLED screen than the lcd of the iPhone.

I plan on playing with the phone after work today and transferring everything over, then I'll swap my sim and make it my daily finally. Can't wait.

Screen and camera alone will make you appreciate the device. I have to say each iteration of TouchWiz gets better and it's extremely user friendly, as long as you've done your research you'll have zero problems navigating your first Android device.

Cherries01

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
The biggest things I always miss from my iPhone(I switch between iPhone and Android a lot) is iMessage and more importantly the keyboard. The keyboard on iOS is so much better in terms of accuracy. I'm constantly hitting the wrong key no matter which keyboard I use on android, stock or third party.

I totally agree on you. I find myself making more spelling errors on the Android than iPhone. Love the iPhone keyboard!

For me, I don't really depend on iMessage anymore because I'm always on FB messenger for group chat and texting people directly. Now, when the Note 8 arrives, Most of my close friends are on t-mobile and uses samsung phone, so being able to take advantage of "advance messenging (or whatever its called)" it would be similiar to iMessage.

When I had the Note 7, it always have connectivity problem connecting with my MacBook when using the Sidesync... I hope the app improves and connectivity between Macbook and the Note 8 is flawless.

lattemaker

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I totally agree on you. I find myself making more spelling errors on the Android than iPhone. Love the iPhone keyboard!

For me, I don't really depend on iMessage anymore because I'm always on FB messenger for group chat and texting people directly. Now, when the Note 8 arrives, Most of my close friends are on t-mobile and uses samsung phone, so being able to take advantage of "advance messenging (or whatever its called)" it would be similiar to iMessage.

When I had the Note 7, it always have connectivity problem connecting with my MacBook when using the Sidesync... I hope the app improves and connectivity between Macbook and the Note 8 is flawless.

I downloaded Sidesync on my 2016 MacBook. It works OK, but just ok. I haven't had connection issues through WiFi, I just think the interface could use a little polishing up.

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
So it's been almost 24 hours since I pulled the sim from the iPhone 6S Plus and dropped it into the Note 8. Most of the apps I use are cloud based so it's just a matter of installing the app & then all the data is synced from the cloud.

The two adjustments for me were texts (iMessage & WhatsApp).

For iMessage, not having the connectivity to the entire history of all the messages I sent feels... weird. I also needed to change the setting in iMessage so that, my phone number is not associated with iMessage anymore (just my email address).

WhatsApp surprised me because... while you can back up your messages, chats, etc... you can't easily cross the aisle. iPhones back up to iCloud and Androids back up to Google Drive. But to restore from one side and put it to the other can't easily be done (If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it).

Other than that, I've only twice said "Hey Siri" instead of "OK Google"...
I have my message history from my iPhone as I used syncios to transfer it

nrvna76

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Hadn't thought about my conversation history. Glad to know this is possible. How does storage work with the SD card? Do you have to select where to store things or does it prioritize the card for photos/videos?

fitcherama

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I may have to get Facebook again just for the messenger. Lol

Hadn't thought of the calendar. I do share one with my wife but it sounds like I'd be able to sync it to google as you said so hopefully there's no loss there.

Does Samsung have an iCloud replacement? I may just keep my iCloud up and running for a while if I try the Note so I don't lose anything but how is Samsung/googles implementation of handling photos and videos?
Smoothsync for iCal works a dream. Two way sync between iCal and Samsung calendar.

dohlo

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I always hated the default iOS keyboard. At least for iOS 10. I downloaded SwiftKey within minutes of having the 7+, much prefer the look and typing of it over the native one. SwiftKey is all I use on android so using the same account made it seamless

dohlo

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Thought I'd update for OP and anyone else who's interested- just did smart switch (after three days of having the device) and is actually worked out very well!! Even better than when I tried to swap everything from my N4 to my N7. Let's you choose just about everything you'd like to transfer, or not. Should make the switch for you on-the-fence'ers even easier

nrvna76

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Thought I'd update for OP and anyone else who's interested- just did smart switch (after three days of having the device) and is actually worked out very well!! Even better than when I tried to swap everything from my N4 to my N7. Let's you choose just about everything you'd like to transfer, or not. Should make the switch for you on-the-fence'ers even easier

Great to hear. I honestly didn't even know about smart switch so this is all good news. Did you have an Apple Watch?

gyounk

Sep 9, 2017
Visit site
I have had my Apple Watch since it first came out. I am tired of it not updating my 30 minutes consistently from day to day. So I am going to Try a Michael Kors Greyson google wear smart watch instead.

No other iPhone feature on the iPhone 7 plus and down had kept my interest to stay with iOS. I am waiting to see what officially iOS 11 has before making the decision to switch no the note8.

For me. What I want is a 2017 apple newton pda!

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
We've already heard about the main features of the iPhone X and there is nothing there that isn't already available on the Note 8, or even the S8 for that matter.

Yet the iPhone X will be missing the S-pen, a DeX like station, fast wireless charging, customisation, real widgets, a finger print scanner, An always on display and there's more.

TechnologyTwitt

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
We've already heard about the main features of the iPhone X and there is nothing there that isn't already available on the Note 8, or even the S8 for that matter.

Yet the iPhone X will be missing the S-pen, a DeX like station, fast wireless charging, customisation, real widgets, a finger print scanner, An always on display and there's more.

Having just come from the iOS side, I can honestly say both devices are extremely powerful hardware & offer feature rich operating systems and apps, with one device having the added benefit of the collective it is a part of.

There's so much that either side offers, it's either really easy to pick a side or really difficult.

nrvna76

May 13, 2011
Visit site
If I was buying my first smartphone and choosing between iPhone 8 or Note 8 I can't imagine I'd pick the iPhone. Because I've been invested in it for years makes it a more difficult decision.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
If I was buying my first smartphone and choosing between iPhone 8 or Note 8 I can't imagine I'd pick the iPhone. Because I've been invested in it for years makes it a more difficult decision.
I believe that is the plight of a lot of consumers. If you have been with iOS for a long time, you have put in a lot of money and time into it. It could be an issue to switch. Whether I'm on iOS or Android, I invest in Google mostly.

jayp1306

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, after being with the iPhone for 3 generations and investing all in, aside from the watch(I'm old school and rock an automatic time piece), I found switching back to the N7 and now the 8, pretty much effortless. It took a little while to transfer data but it wasn't difficult or confusing.

TechnologyTwitt

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
Another tip for those crossing the aisle... make sure you do your backups. On iOS, it's fairly ***** proof to just let everything automatically get backed up regularly to iCloud.

The Samsung backup app appears to be very similar (keep me honest). For the sake of your hard work of getting the apps, colors, preferences, etc all set up... do your backups regularly (you'll be happy when you need it).

pavvento

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
In preparation of receiving my Note 8 I turned off iMessage this evening and already know I haven't received about 5 messages. Is there anyway to prevent this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non