09-22-2017 05:29 AM
134 ... 23456
tools
    If I was buying my first smartphone and choosing between iPhone 8 or Note 8 I can't imagine I'd pick the iPhone. Because I've been invested in it for years makes it a more difficult decision.
    I believe that is the plight of a lot of consumers. If you have been with iOS for a long time, you have put in a lot of money and time into it. It could be an issue to switch. Whether I'm on iOS or Android, I invest in Google mostly.
    09-10-2017 08:55 PM
    Honestly, after being with the iPhone for 3 generations and investing all in, aside from the watch(I'm old school and rock an automatic time piece), I found switching back to the N7 and now the 8, pretty much effortless. It took a little while to transfer data but it wasn't difficult or confusing.
    09-10-2017 09:11 PM
    Another tip for those crossing the aisle... make sure you do your backups. On iOS, it's fairly ***** proof to just let everything automatically get backed up regularly to iCloud.

The Samsung backup app appears to be very similar (keep me honest). For the sake of your hard work of getting the apps, colors, preferences, etc all set up... do your backups regularly (you'll be happy when you need it).
    09-11-2017 06:34 AM
    16 hours left
    09-11-2017 07:48 PM
    In preparation of receiving my Note 8 I turned off iMessage this evening and already know I haven't received about 5 messages. Is there anyway to prevent this?
    09-12-2017 12:46 AM
    In preparation of receiving my Note 8 I turned off iMessage this evening and already know I haven't received about 5 messages. Is there anyway to prevent this?
    I had to send a text to my iPhone user friends when I switched and then it worked for receiving messages
    09-12-2017 01:21 AM
    thanks for reminding me, I need turn mines off tomorrow lol since my phone will arrive tomorrow.
    09-12-2017 01:32 AM
    Google photos
    09-12-2017 03:27 AM
    If you have an iPad and Mac. Turn thier setting for iMessage off too as your phone number may be tied to those devices as well.
    TechnologyTwitt likes this.
    09-12-2017 09:02 AM
    Curious to see what OP has decided to go with now that Tuesday has come and pretty much gone
    09-13-2017 01:04 AM
    Curious to see what OP has decided to go with now that Tuesday has come and pretty much gone
    It's odd that people seem to be disappointed with the new Apple offerings this year. What did they expect? I knew whatever Apple came out with this year wouldn't eclipse the Note 8.
    j_hansen likes this.
    09-13-2017 05:14 AM
    One of Apple's strength is still in wrapping up / polishing many of the cutting edge technologies and simplifying them. The often used term Apple "walled garden" is (IMHO) such an advantage that, if someone like Samsung could replicate with the Note line, would get them to the next level (Find a niche, perfect it & stick with it).

That being said, they've already gotten to the point that someone like me, a 10 year Apple (iPhone) user, felt comfortable switching to the Note 8 (The iPhone 8 Plus wouldn't have been as much of an upgrade from the 6s Plus vs what the Note 8 is giving me).

Don't get me wrong, I've tripped 2-3 times while crossing the aisle, but for the most part, in the week I've been using it, I'm functioning almost as good as I was with the iPhone 6s Plus I upgraded from and I'm making progress every day.
    09-13-2017 06:38 AM
    I'm still doing some research, trying to find a replacement for my Apple Watch and maybe waiting for a price drop on the Note. I will not be buying a new iPhone this year. First time in about 5 years.
    09-13-2017 09:42 AM
    It's odd that people seem to be disappointed with the new Apple offerings this year. What did they expect? I knew whatever Apple came out with this year wouldn't eclipse the Note 8.
    After the leaks, I knew what was coming. IMO at the very least the X should have come out last year. They are too hung up on the 10 year thing, nobody cares. I felt this way last year as well. Also, the price is ridiculous, and I do not believe I'd be getting anything extra in terms of hardware for the money.
    09-13-2017 09:44 AM
    One of Apple's strength is still in wrapping up / polishing many of the cutting edge technologies and simplifying them. The often used term Apple "walled garden" is (IMHO) such an advantage that, if someone like Samsung could replicate with the Note line, would get them to the next level (Find a niche, perfect it & stick with it).

That being said, they've already gotten to the point that someone like me, a 10 year Apple (iPhone) user, felt comfortable switching to the Note 8 (The iPhone 8 Plus wouldn't have been as much of an upgrade from the 6s Plus vs what the Note 8 is giving me).

Don't get me wrong, I've tripped 2-3 times while crossing the aisle, but for the most part, in the week I've been using it, I'm functioning almost as good as I was with the iPhone 6s Plus I upgraded from and I'm making progress every day.
    The "walled garden" definitely has its advantages, but obviously not enough to keep some folks from jumping sides. If the jail break community hadn't lost much of its following and efforts, I probably would have stayed longer myself. The upgrade from the 5 to the 6 made me realize I was getting virtually the same camera specs with nothing more than a larger screen, an updated walled OS, and those absolutely horrid antenna cutouts on that body. I absolutely hate those. Lol. That alone made me switch tbh

You'll no doubt trip a few more times on your learning experience 😂 but in the end I'm sure you'll love it, as you already are. Every day you'll discover something new you didn't know the phone/OS could do and be pleasantly surprised.

Yesterday I saw a lot of posts about "you guys just think your android is better because of themes and free apps blah blah blah" nonsense, which is such a dated argument at this point. App and setting shortcuts, cameras (iPhone has a great camera, but the software on Android is what got me), and much more is to be had.

I'm still doing some research, trying to find a replacement for my Apple Watch and maybe waiting for a price drop on the Note. I will not be buying a new iPhone this year. First time in about 5 years.
    I did my fair share of research when I was son the fence. I initially was going to go with a completely different phone than the S5 when I switched (when the iPhone 6 was released) but decided it was time.
    TechnologyTwitt and SilasOne like this.
    09-13-2017 10:39 AM
    Can’t make up my mind iPhone X or note 8
    09-13-2017 09:09 PM
    Can’t make up my mind iPhone X or note 8
    What are you upgrading from... do you have any other products with the same OS.. what will you be using it for.. etc etc etc...
    09-13-2017 09:16 PM
    Have a s8 plus
    09-13-2017 09:37 PM
    Though I didn't read every post I like how most of us can agree that both devices are great and can both be appreciated for what they bring to the table.
    dohlo, Katrina White1 and gyounk like this.
    09-13-2017 10:19 PM
    I find folks on this site to be very helpful and willing to provide their view or answer questions, even though I'm sure people ask this every year!

I have to find an old iPhone so I can try to get AT&Ts $300 trade in!
    09-13-2017 10:29 PM
    I find folks on this site to be very helpful and willing to provide their view or answer questions, even though I'm sure people ask this every year!

I have to find an old iPhone so I can try to get AT&Ts $300 trade in!
    There's definitely the hardcore devotees to either side, but more than a fair share of users who recognize that either OS has its pros and cons and it's ultimately up to the individual to decide what phone and OS works best for them

But being that this is an android forum, and more specifically a Note 8 sub- we obviously want to see you get the note 😁
    iFortWorth and SilasOne like this.
    09-13-2017 10:32 PM
    To be honest, the Note 8 and the Nexus/Pixel lines are the only devices on Android that I would choose over an iPhone. I have never had an issue with an iPhone.
    TechnologyTwitt likes this.
    09-14-2017 02:55 AM
    ( this was meant as a reply...sorry!)

I made the switch, or at least am in the process! lol! Came from the 7+ and apple watch. Had a Note 5 for about 4 months then went back to the iphone. So far I'm loving the Note 8! Will detail that in another post. However, as for the watch "replacement", I went with the S3 Frontier. So far I'm really impressed with it! Nice having a round watch face again! lol! Truthfully, ease of use on this is really better than Apple Watch. At least from a navigation stand point. I battled with waiting for the Sport version that's waterproof, but decided that it really wasn't that big if a deal. I went with the Apple Watch not being waterproof forever, so no big deal. In the few days I've had both phone and watch, it's been pretty awesome! Biggest game changer as far as the watch goes...battery life! I can go 2+ days without dropping it on the charger. So, you can't go wrong with the Frontier, IMO. Hope that helps!
    09-14-2017 11:16 AM
    Don't forget there's also the web based "deregister" apple site for iMessage too.
    09-14-2017 11:26 AM
    ( this was meant as a reply...sorry!)

I made the switch, or at least am in the process! lol! Came from the 7+ and apple watch. Had a Note 5 for about 4 months then went back to the iphone. So far I'm loving the Note 8! Will detail that in another post. However, as for the watch "replacement", I went with the S3 Frontier. So far I'm really impressed with it! Nice having a round watch face again! lol! Truthfully, ease of use on this is really better than Apple Watch. At least from a navigation stand point. I battled with waiting for the Sport version that's waterproof, but decided that it really wasn't that big if a deal. I went with the Apple Watch not being waterproof forever, so no big deal. In the few days I've had both phone and watch, it's been pretty awesome! Biggest game changer as far as the watch goes...battery life! I can go 2+ days without dropping it on the charger. So, you can't go wrong with the Frontier, IMO. Hope that helps!
    Can you navigate using watch commanding through voice? Also, does Bixby work on watch?
    09-14-2017 11:59 AM
134 ... 23456