Note 8 wireless charging stopped working

ZOMMBIE1

Trusted Member
May 24, 2015
Visit site
Yesterday the ability to use wireless charging just suddenly stopped. I think it had something to do with NFC as I've never once turned it on until yesterday when I was try to beam a video to another device. After it was finished I told bixby to turn off NFC and went to place it back on the wireless charger and nothing. Tried it on the other 5 wireless chargers I have and still nothing. Called Verizon and have a replacement coming without having to do a factory reset thankfully. Wonder if this happened to others.

JeromeM

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
I didn't want to start a new thread with the same title so my apologies for thread jacking but over the past 3 nights I've noticed my Note 8 is on the wireless charger, the light is blue on the charger and the Note 8 says it's charging wirelessly but I wake up and battery is at <5%. This morning I took the charger to work and it's charging my co-workers phones so it's not the charger. Now I put my Note 8 on the charger nothing happens.

I chatted with Samsung and they told me to do a Soft Re-Boot which I did, I put the phone on the charger and blue light came on and device said it was charging wirelessly but it waasn't. So then they said I need to run the phone in Safe Mode for 6-8 hrs as this will most likely fix the issue.......I'm in safe mode and wireless charging doesn't work. (not sure if it's supposed to in safe mode or not)

Does this not seem crazy? Now in Safe Mode I can't access my work emails which is a problem as that App is disabled. After 2 x Note 7's and now this potential Note 8 issue I'm starting to think my days with Samsung are coming to an end. Anyone else have this issue?

FYI I'm using the Samsung Wireless Charger that came with the pre-order promo model# EP-PG950 it's the newer one that is Fast Charge using USB-C input.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Well that may or not rule out a faulty phone, is the charger an official Samsung or 3rd party manufacturer?
I have a 3 coil one at work that is 3rd party and perfect but there has been a few complaints about the official Samsung ones

JeromeM

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
Well that may or not rule out a faulty phone, is the charger an official Samsung or 3rd party manufacturer?
I have a 3 coil one at work that is 3rd party and perfect but there has been a few complaints about the official Samsung ones

It's the newest Fast Charge Wireless one from Samsung. It's charging my buddies S6 no problem and a iPhone 8 as well no problem.

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
mine stopped working completely. Samsung have me a new phone. nothing would fix it, full reset, turning it to slow charge, just kept telling me it was charging.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
There seem to be a good few Monday morning production models (including my own first Note 8) but I find it strange that Samsung would have slacked in quality control department after the Note 7 thing.

ZOMMBIE1

Trusted Member
May 24, 2015
Visit site
I also learned this wireless charging issue has caused the MST to not work now with Samsung pay. I use Samsung pay a lot never using the NFC part of it. good thing my replacement arrives Friday cause I can't live without Samsung pay!

JeromeM

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
Just wanted to provide an update for my device, I brought it back to the carrier store (Rogers in Canada) since I bought it there I needed to go through them. We tested my Note 8 on a new charger at the store and it wasn't charging, the Rogers guy's Note 8 was charging no problem on the same charger so they sent it in for repair. Will see what comes of it I guess but soon as I get it back I'll provide an update of what they found and what the fix was.

I'm sadly back on my Blackberry KEYone for now.......woof........

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
What a pain in the butt wow! Now I have to deal with my carrier who will want to send it off for repair, awesome.

How long have you had it?
If it's a manufacturer issue, demand a new phone. It's not something that you've done since it works on other chargers. It won't hurt.

dlgus

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Yesterday the ability to use wireless charging just suddenly stopped. I think it had something to do with NFC as I've never once turned it on until yesterday when I was try to beam a video to another device. After it was finished I told bixby to turn off NFC and went to place it back on the wireless charger and nothing. Tried it on the other 5 wireless chargers I have and still nothing. Called Verizon and have a replacement coming without having to do a factory reset thankfully. Wonder if this happened to others.

Haven't been a big fan of wireless charging anyway.

Dano1200r

Nov 26, 2017
Visit site
Haven't been a big fan of wireless charging anyway.
You are missing out. It's even in my car. It does fast charging wirelessly too. Are you a fan of wireless phones in general? Just want a wire to make you feel connected? Jk. To each his own.

JeromeM

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
How long have you had it?
If it's a manufacturer issue, demand a new phone. It's not something that you've done since it works on other chargers. It won't hurt.

I had pre-ordered it and got it on launch here in Canada ~Sept 15th ish?

Here they do things a little different, I guess I will see what comes back from the repair center, hopefully a new device.

dcf123

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I had pre-ordered it and got it on launch here in Canada ~Sept 15th ish?

Here they do things a little different, I guess I will see what comes back from the repair center, hopefully a new device.

Same issue happening for me - I was a pre-order as well (in US). Noticed MST payments not working last week, tested it on a wireless charger - at first would register and not charge, and as of yesterday it's at the point where it doesn't even register with the charger (unless I reboot it while it's sitting on the charger - and then it shows charging but does not actually charge). Pretty annoyed since I've taken good care of it - now I'm waiting for warranty replacement, thinking I should've ordered through my carrier so I could swap in store instead of ordering direct from Samsung. I have a bad feeling that as the Note 8 devices get older, we will be seeing a lot more of this issue.

JeromeM

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
Same issue happening for me - I was a pre-order as well (in US). Noticed MST payments not working last week, tested it on a wireless charger - at first would register and not charge, and as of yesterday it's at the point where it doesn't even register with the charger (unless I reboot it while it's sitting on the charger - and then it shows charging but does not actually charge). Pretty annoyed since I've taken good care of it - now I'm waiting for warranty replacement, thinking I should've ordered through my carrier so I could swap in store instead of ordering direct from Samsung. I have a bad feeling that as the Note 8 devices get older, we will be seeing a lot more of this issue.

Yeah exactly the symptoms that I saw.

Here in Canada from the carrier they send them out for repair which is a pain, I rather have a new one shipped from Samsung and wait a bit than potentially get a repaired one but we'll see how this plays out :)

dcf123

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Yeah exactly the symptoms that I saw.

Here in Canada from the carrier they send them out for repair which is a pain, I rather have a new one shipped from Samsung and wait a bit than potentially get a repaired one but we'll see how this plays out :)

Ah - I've always purchased from carriers here and done immediate in-store swaps when I've had issues. For this one, Samsung actually wanted me to send my phone back and wait ~2 weeks to get it repaired - but I remembered I'd signed up for their premium care - so they're sending me a replacement device and then I'll ship mine back. The catch is it's not actually Samsung handling the premium care swap - it's through Asurion, which means I could be getting a refurb/repaired one. Guess we'll see.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non