Anyone Switch to iPhone Max??

chocokat

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Fall detection, Ekg and walkie talkie are all up my alley. I guess I'll be a guinea pig lol to test out the features. I'm sure they're far from primetime but I appreciate this direction they're taking. It's refreshing. Previously Apple was in a rut with no new exciting features but this is a good step towards the right direction finally.

I would be even happier if the did support for the Apple Pencil on the Xs Max phone. That needs to be done.

LCW

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
I don't think I've ever had any Instagram cut off because of the screen. I've used the Note 8 before with a curved screen. Hmm. Interesting error.
Good luck with the 10S Max.

If anything the iPhone cuts off stuff in Instagram (stories) with that damn notch.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand the whole status symbol thing. I couldn't imagine "showing off" my phone. Who would care for what phone I have? Almost anyone can get an iPhone or any other phone for $30-40 a month. How is that all status symbol? If they came out with a $10,000 phone and they were one of a kind and people knew it, that's different.

I am sure there are some that do that -- Just like other products. This "status" thing isn't limited to phones. I wouldn't pay hundreds for 1 pair of shoes but some people sit out there for the new Jordans or w/e they are. Why? The status of having them.

So sure some people do it for a "status" but I don't think that is majority. If anything the majority have just been using iPhone for awhile and it still works for what they want so they buy what they know -- again just like other products.

I am not sure why everyone is acting as if this behavior is only due to phones when it has been around way before we had computers in our pockets :p.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I think Apple is pretty ridiculous with their new devices. I currently have a Note 9, a OnePlus 6, a Sony Xperia XZ Premium, and an Essential phone. I gave my iPhone X to my wife. The Galaxy Watch that I just got works wonderfully well with my Note 9 and any other Android phone I have in my pocket at the time if I choose to pair with that one. I really don't understand all the fuss over the new series 4 Apple watch. It's ugly as sin and looks the same as all the previous generations. Why is everyone so in love with it? Because they can do an EKG? Because it detects when you fall? That stuff just doesn't seem as useful as all the fitness stuff that is pre-installed on the Galaxy watch. Plus it just works. And it actually looks like a watch!

LCW

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Whew... dodged one!

Got an XS Max 256 yesterday to try out. Came to me senses today and returned it. Couldn't justify 1250 plus I would have gotten a series 4 watch also so that's almost 1700 before taxes.

Will keep chugging with the Note 9. Has a much nicer screen anyways and turns out I like a rectangular screen when looking at videos and images.

KillerQ

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I will admit I love the X, want the XS Max 512GB but I just can't drop $2,500 CAN.

I bought my 128GB Blue Note 9 outright and upgraded to the Huawei P20 Pro.

Both are cheaper than the Max.

As the saying goes, some have more money than brains. LOL

Do you like the P20 better?

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
MST basically mimics the magnetic strip of a credit card and works at credit card stations that do not accept NFC (tap payments). This is extremely useful in stores that have not upgraded their machines and can't accept Apple Pay or Google Pay. Samsung Pay uses the "swipe" reader and just works.

*Safer than a physical debit/credit card
*Earn points per transaction which can be exchanged for goods

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
I had the 512GB iPhone XS Max and returned it and went back to my Note 9. While the iPhone XS Max was a good phone, it wasn't great. It felt exactly like the iPhone X from last year but it was bigger. The bigger display didn't even take advantage of its size. What I mean by that is that the display wasn't scaled. There wasn't an extra row of icons on the home screen. It displayed the same amount of text on the screen as the smaller XS model. There nothing, other than the display and battery size, that made it better than the XS. And I also felt incredibly stupid paying $1,449 for a device that didn't even have half as many features as the Note 9.

mia_xoxo

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
I had my Note 9 for almost 2 weeks... I really did like it, I was getting a day and a half of battery life (before I found the game Hole.io), the phone was nice and smooth...... BUT My girlfriend, mom, dad, main friend group all use iPhones, without iMessage somethings were missing. I had the X before the Note 9 and I liked the X just wanted that bigger screen. Once I seen that the Xs Max was just a tweaked X with the 6.5 screen, I was in. Do I miss my Note, yeah I miss somethings about it, but for everyday life the iPhone just makes sense for me. Also for some reason when I was on instagram some of the post would be cut off, especially if it was a post with a qoute, don't know why, I was chalking that one up to the curved screen.
Same thing happens to me as far as the Instagram situation.

BIG CAT 7

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
After a few days of waffling I have decided to keep my Note 9. I just can't see myself going back to Apple. Every other time I have I came right back within a few weeks or months due to boredom. Not to mention the amount of money I would be throwing away to get the phone and the watch. I think for the first time in a long time I will be sticking right where I am at and wait it out till the Note 10 comes. This Note 9 is a beast and will hold it's own over the next year against any new flagship phone. So I don't think there is any reason to change now.

With all that being said, it's time to go buy me some more cases for my phone! Ha ha

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I had the 512GB iPhone XS Max and returned it and went back to my Note 9. While the iPhone XS Max was a good phone, it wasn't great. It felt exactly like the iPhone X from last year but it was bigger. The bigger display didn't even take advantage of its size. What I mean by that is that the display wasn't scaled. There wasn't an extra row of icons on the home screen. It displayed the same amount of text on the screen as the smaller XS model. There nothing, other than the display and battery size, that made it better than the XS. And I also felt incredibly stupid paying $1,449 for a device that didn't even have half as many features as the Note 9.

That's too bad that Apple didn't make use of the extra screen real estate with their XS device line. A bigger battery band display, and better use of screen real estate, would have made it a bit more of an upgrade.

But $1500 is about two months' rent for me so I'd never want to spend that much on a phone - I definitely agree with you, that's way too much!