Turn Off Repeat Notifications Samsung Note 9

DSS1947

Dec 1, 2018
Visit site
Hi,
I've read a number of posts regarding repeat notifications, but they either cover notifications for a specific app or, for some reason, are on a device other than Note 9.

I have a new Samsung Note 9. Does anyone know how to turn off REPEAT NOTIFICATIONS on all apps. To be clear, I want notifications, but if I don't open the app right away, I don't want the notification to continue to make sounds. I've found how to change the interval of notifications, but I don't see a choice for Only Once. Can anyone offer a suggestion?

Last edited:

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
I've read a number of posts regarding repeat notifications, but they either cover notifications for a specific app or, for some reason, are on a device other than Note 9.

I have a new Samsung Note 9. Does anyone know how to turn off REPEAT NOTIFICATIONS on all apps. To be clear, I want notifications, but if I don't open the app right away, I don't want the notification to continue to make sounds. I've found how to change the interval of notifications, but I don't see a choice for Only Once. Can anyone offer a suggestion?
You mean your phone doesn't have a menu like this?
96036c5a682c23beb1368fcd93507de8.jpg

DSS1947

Dec 1, 2018
Visit site
I may not have been clear. I do not want to turn off notifications. I simply want to stop them from "repeating" which is very annoying. I just want them to play once. There may not be a way to stop notifications from repeating. At least I couldn't find a way to do. That's why I turned to this forum in hopes that someone might have a solution.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I may not have been clear. I do not want to turn off notifications. I simply want to stop them from "repeating" which is very annoying. I just want them to play once. There may not be a way to stop notifications from repeating. At least I couldn't find a way to do. That's why I turned to this forum in hopes that someone might have a solution.
That off switch doesn't turn off notifications. That turns off repeat notifications. The off switch for notifications is somewhere else.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
chanchan05 is correct. Notification Reminders cause unread/unacknowledged notifications to trigger repeated notification tones until you read the notification and/or dismiss it. It should be in the Settings>Accessibility menu, I think. You turned to this forum, and you found the right solution!;)

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I agree with @chanchan05 and @B. Diddy; see my screenshot.

Sent From the TARDIS With my Blue Note 9
Screenshot_20181202-081210_Settings.jpeg

DSS1947

Dec 1, 2018
Visit site
OMG! Ok I'll accept being a little dumb, but from a logistical position, to turn something "off" that is labeled "notification reminder" when all you want to do is adjust it , seems confusing at best. I'm not the only one having this issue because an internet search finds plenty. Anyway thanks for your help. That did fix it. I still feel that the architecture of that function needs work.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
OMG! Ok I'll accept being a little dumb, but from a logistical position, to turn something "off" that is labeled "notification reminder" when all you want to do is adjust it , seems confusing at best. I'm not the only one having this issue because an internet search finds plenty. Anyway thanks for your help. That did fix it. I still feel that the architecture of that function needs work.
Depends how you look at it I guess. From other people's standpoint, you are turning off the notification reminder, not the notification. Two different things. Things can't account for everybody.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, the terminology might be a little confusing to some. "Notification reminder" is almost a redundant term, since you could consider a notification to be a reminder in itself. Maybe they should rename it "Repeating notifications."

The Notification Reminder option is in the Settings>Accessibility menu, though, so that should be separate from the main Notification menu, right?

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

Just push the "I believe" button in your mind and live on.

To me, there's notification and reminders of notifications that you've done nothing with.

ALCJ2484

Feb 25, 2019
Visit site
I am having the same issue except that my notification reminders are off and I still get the repeated notification for my stock emails.

Doug Bauman

May 13, 2019
Visit site
I am having the same issue except that my notification reminders are off and I still get the repeated notification for my stock emails.

Same here. I never enable my notification reminder, yet while I am viewing a notification, I get notified of it again. Please find a solution. This is getting aggravating. If I clear that notification, I get it again.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Same here. I never enable my notification reminder, yet while I am viewing a notification, I get notified of it again. Please find a solution. This is getting aggravating. If I clear that notification, I get it again.

Your issue may be with the app in question, it self.
Though I don't have any apps that repeat a notification that I've cleared from the notification bar, even though I have the main notification reminder OFF, Textra SMS app has its own repeat notification which I have turned ON. Therefore, I receive a notification reminder / repeat notification, if I don't do anything with the icon in the notification bar, for Textra app only and no others.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I think I know what the OP talking about
Go into settings in the search bar type reminders.
Here you tap gear icon and turn them offScreenshot_20190513-004946_Settings.jpegScreenshot_20190513-004959_Settings%20Suggestions.jpeg