Google "remove device" function cannot work with Note 9

Feb 14, 2019
Visit site
Samsung replaced myVerizon Note 9 under warranty earlier this year, yet the old, defective Note 9 still appears on my Google device list.

Google advises that to remove a device, you must use a phone or tablet because the manage/remove device function is not enabled on a PC.

Yet going into my account settings on the phone, I can see the old device on the list with my PC and new Note 9, but the manage/remove function is not there.

Anyone found a way around this dead end?

Thanks to all.

Feb 14, 2019
Visit site
First looked it up on Chrome on the PC.
Seeing that the instructions specified that removing a device could only be done on via a smartphone or tablet, I went into my Google account on my current Note 9, drilled down to "manage devices", saw the "old" Note 9 listed, and discovered that there was no "remove" option.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
First looked it up on Chrome on the PC.
Seeing that the instructions specified that removing a device could only be done on via a smartphone or tablet, I went into my Google account on my current Note 9, drilled down to "manage devices", saw the "old" Note 9 listed, and discovered that there was no "remove" option.

Taping and swipe left or right didn't give option?

Feb 14, 2019
Visit site
Yep. Chrome on the phone is where "remove" is missing.

I'll be contacting Verizon next, see if they can get it off the account on their end.

The Note 9 in question is in Samsung's hands, returned as defective for a new one.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yep. Chrome on the phone is where "remove" is missing.

I'll be contacting Verizon next, see if they can get it off the account on their end.

The Note 9 in question is in Samsung's hands, returned as defective for a new one.

Yeah , sorry couldn't help hope they can get it going.

Feb 14, 2019
Visit site
The Slough of Despond & Despair:

Try as they did (and they really tried), Verizon was unable to help me, but they did give me the IMEI number for the "dead" Note 9 and a telephone number for Google;

That phone number leads to a tree where none of the options lead to a human or pertained in any way to the problem, or to any offer to discuss any device except a Google device. For help with a Samsung device, they sent me to Samsung support and a Samsung telephone number;

Samsung regretted that they could not assist, but they did have a number for Google Gmail support, and since that at least would get my foot in the Brin/Page door, I called it;

The number was answered by a recorded squirrelly neutral technovoice asking me to hold for the next available agent, and after 3 minutes listening to nice piano "hold" music, they hung up. But the technovoice did say "goodbye" in a different, kind of breathy, feminine, regretful but final, Barbara Eden voice.

So I waited five minutes and called back. Same technoSquirrel, same hold music, but then the call was answered!
By a guy on 'luudes. Who spoke ...reluctantly...with a full minute between words, finally refusing to respond at all, leaving me alone on a very crackly line. Whereupon I hung up on that void. Kindly note that at no time was "Google" or "Support" mentioned.

Now I'm thinking that I will just whack Google, delete it completely on the phone and PC, then reload and see what dark, grubby bus stop on the wrong side of town that leaves me at.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
How long has the old Note 9 been gone?
Might the REMOVE option appear after a given amount of time?
What is the detriment of leaving it listed?

Feb 14, 2019
Visit site
The detriment is that Google is not what it's supposed to be.

This began as a side issue, ancillary to my working on discovering who had used my gmail address to open an eBay account.

After changing lots of passwords (and alarming eBay staff no end, who, to their credit, whacked the bogus account immediately), I began looking into what it would take to change a gmail address.

It takes an act of God, as it happens; an Act of Congress won't suffice.

And Google, naturally, does not operate a help desk, nor offer chat, nor the ability in any way, shape, or form to get them to discuss this or any other Google-problem specifically. Google has labored mightily to conquer the world, and by God, they have.

Only getting the market share of your dreams means (or used to mean) that you have responsibility: having added umpteen-gazillion users, there is no way for them to effectively service those users - there's too many of them; they'd need a call center as big as Hawaii.

So in this instance, I can delete my Google account entirely, kill it. And then sign up for a new one, with a new gmail address. That costs me time and effort and inconvenience, not Google.

And sometime, maybe, in some tech meeting. some junior member will raise the issue, noting the frequency of occurrence and complaint, and the thing may then be added to a long queue of needed fixes.

Verizon lent a mighty effort, & swears that it is not a fault in their implementation of it, and Samsung says the same. I give them credit for being willing to talk about it and for supplying a human to do so. Yet this is a Google problem, not a user or manufacturer or carrier problem, and Google has checked out.