US Carriers are to blame............

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Just dont get why each US carrier has to get thier own model of the GS2. Samsung has to be complicit in this also but I just dont get it. The iphone is the same on every carrier. Blackberry's are the same on every carrier. Why doesnt Samsung say to ATT, Verizon, Tmobile and Sprint; dudes, here's the phone. You want it, buy it. You dont? Then dont. Slider keyboards (??), different camera housings, textured backs? No wonder it took so long to get to market.

Glad I bit the bullet on my unlocked EU version.

chestvrg

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad I bit the bullet too :)

I don't know why the American telecoms have so much power over the manufacturer either.

I'm happy to see Canada's Bell telecom to release the GSII in its pure form also.

Maybe someday the American telecoms will allow Samsung and other manufacturers to release their products in their pure form like they allow RIM and Apple.

Sent from my GT-I9100

legendary1022

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
you back yourself into a corner and it is hard to get out of it. Samsung has always bent at the carrier's needs here in the US and they just seem to be satisfied with the carriers crippling such great devices. It really is a shame. No other manufacturer does that and Samsung is the LARGEST manufacturer in the world. You would think they would get the benefit of doing what they want. You want to differentiate carriers? Release that sexy white version or something. Don't cripple the devices.

Aspiring Developer

May 13, 2010
Visit site
IDK about the SGS2 specifically but quite a lot of so called hardware differences have the exact same hardware installed but have some simple hackable work around to enable it. Often times you can buy the same device much cheaper as a result and with little mare that an Dremmel™ tool or a soldering iron get the same thing as the top of the line model.

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Look, the US is completely different from the UK. See in the UK you pick up a smartphone and it works with almost every carrier. Not in the US... where almost all carriers are CDMA and use a different frequency than their competitors. See the real reason as to why we don't have it as soon is not just that but, it's also about sales. See Sprint doesn't want to be promoting a device that their competitors will have as well, so why not change it up to be different? See the Epic was the fully packed Galaxy S device, it had 4g, front facing camera, and flash. Also, notice how no Galaxy S is the same in the states, Captivate is tons different than the Vibrant and Fascinate. The point is, the carriers want to have the "it" device, and if their competitors have the same amazing phone, what is stopping you from going to Verizon rather than AT&T? So in the end, they need to make their Galaxy S2 device be like an iPhone, it's only available on these carriers and it's this price, but with every carrier having it, a lot of people may not want the AT&T iPhone, but the Verizon one.

So yeah it's the carrier's fault :p

I Monarch

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I agree doctor.

Sent from my GT-I9100

You should have concurred.

Anywho, I wish I could have "bit the bullet" and ordered the un-raped GSII, but unfortunately, I rely on a 3G Microcell to boost my service here at home. No provider reaches my suburban Philadelphia home very well, but AT&T is still the most reliable for everywhere else. I wanted to pick up the Xperia Arc and the Galaxy S II, but neither is going to connect to my microcell. ****ty.

Using my iPhone and Atrix duo until the GSII hits our shelves.

Kingfrog

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Different frequencies....Differnt models Different advertising of models....

I just buy them unlocked and unbranded and sell subsidized iphones to finance them when applicable.

mfriedman79

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
You should have concurred.

Anywho, I wish I could have "bit the bullet" and ordered the un-raped GSII, but unfortunately, I rely on a 3G Microcell to boost my service here at home. No provider reaches my suburban Philadelphia home very well, but AT&T is still the most reliable for everywhere else. I wanted to pick up the Xperia Arc and the Galaxy S II, but neither is going to connect to my microcell. ****ty.

Using my iPhone and Atrix duo until the GSII hits our shelves.

Why won't they connect to your microcell? I have the same issue in Chicago where the only way I get signal in my house if via the microcell. My Unlocked GSII works just fine with it.

As for the reason why carriers continue to bastardize manufacturers phones its simple. why compete on price and quality of service when you can just sign exclusivity agreements for the best devices in the market or force mfg's to change up a device so you can say its "better" than the others. When in reality all they have done is gimped it from its original and intended design.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress