Which SMS app is everyone using?

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I know RCS will become mainstream android at some point

I seriously doubt that - from what I’ve heard, carriers have been giving up on the project. My best guess is that Google will abandon it, just like a ton of their other projects.

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I seriously doubt that - from what I’ve heard, carriers have been giving up on the project. My best guess is that Google will abandon it, just like a ton of their other projects.
I seriously hope you are wrong. I believe we will eventually have a replacement for SMS/MMS.

In the meantime, I'm just using FB Messager for photos/videos when resolution is an issue. Also for the ability to see that my messages are being seen when that really matters. Otherwise I stick with the Samsung messages app.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I seriously hope you are wrong. I believe we will eventually have a replacement for SMS/MMS.

In the meantime, I'm just using FB Messager for photos/videos when resolution is an issue. Also for the ability to see that my messages are being seen when that really matters. Otherwise I stick with the Samsung messages app.

The replacement will be RCS once carriers stop being lazy.

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
So I was using the Google Messaging App, which I kinda like a little better than the Samsung one.

However, when I get a new message, the lock screen doesn't light up like it does with the stock messaging app. I hear the tone that I got a new text, but I have to touch the screen to light it up to see it.

I checked all the settings in the GM app and everything is setup as it should be.

Anyone else using this and have any input?

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
So I was using the Google Messaging App, which I kinda like a little better than the Samsung one.

However, when I get a new message, the lock screen doesn't light up like it does with the stock messaging app. I hear the tone that I got a new text, but I have to touch the screen to light it up to see it.

I checked all the settings in the GM app and everything is setup as it should be.

You can set Textra to wake up the lock screen. Don't know if you have any experience with the app but it's pretty fantastic and worth a look.

WizeGuyDezignz

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site

This app will do it and for other apps too:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.nullgrad.glimpse

Darwm

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
The question is why are you still using SMS? Everyone I know uses whatsapp or messenger. It's a million times better.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
The question is why are you still using SMS? Everyone I know uses whatsapp or messenger. It's a million times better.
Because I'm not interested in asking everyone I do business with what chat app they use. Everyone can receive a txt. I see zero people using Whatsapp or Messenger for work. I'm not saying no one does, but not the people in my area and/or my field of work. That's why. If Whatsapp was universally used, that would be fine - but it simply is not.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I use just the regular Samsung texting app on my S9 plus I mainly used it cuz it matched my theme. But then I switch to textra for a while because you can't assign a text tone through contacts anymore which I hate. But now I'm back to regular stock.

But I'm switching to Verizon and I know I've read something about Verizon messages but I don't have to use that right I can still use the same one I'm using now from Samsung? Does Verizon have whatever y'all are talkin about RSC? I still don't really know what it is.

Oh and I just realized I won't have Verizon messages duh cuz we have unlocked phones my girlfriend will have it though she's going to get a Verizon phone on my account. I think.

Last edited:

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I use just the regular Samsung texting app on my S9 plus I mainly used it cuz it matched my theme. But then I switch to text or for a while because you can assign a text tone through contacts anymore which I hate. But now I'm back to regular stock.

But I'm switching to Verizon and I know I've read something about Verizon messages but I don't have to use that right I can still use the same one I'm using now from Samsung? Does Verizon have whatever y'all are talkin about RSC? I still don't really know what it is.

Oh and I just realized I won't have Verizon messages duh cuz we have unlocked phones my girlfriend will have it though she's going to get a Verizon phone on my account. I think.
Pretty sure you can get Verizon Messages from the Play Store.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Pretty sure you can get Verizon Messages from the Play Store.

We just switched to Verizon me and my husband have unlocked phones and my girlfriend had a Sprint phone. She had to get a new phone through Verizon and she is used to regular messages but I know she now had the Verizon red yicon messages plus. Is that better to, use? There guy said it backs up your text. But I'm guessing now that we're on Verizon we can download it too if we want? I just use the regular texting app but I have textra also. I use the regular and have a Galaxy watch too.

Last edited:

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone confirm that stock Samsung Messages app does *NOT* work on Android Auto? I've been using Android Messages for a while now because of AA compatibility.

I just got my new Galaxy Tab s5e and want to use the call and message continuity feature (where calls and text messages will show up on the tablet as long as you are connected to wifi), but it requires you to set Samsung Messages as the default texting app. Deal breaker for me as I reply to texts while driving via AA much more than I would while using the tablet and away from my phone. Arrrrrgh, this kind of crap pushes more and more towards switching to Apple every year.

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I use Samsung Messages on my Note 9 and AA seems to work just fine for me. I'm able to send/receive messages through AA.

It only takes a minute to switch from one message app to another as default. The best test would be switch over and give it a try. If it's not to your liking, switch back.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
When I first got my gear 3 I didn't think Textra worked with it I always used the stock. But now I'm kind of wanting to go back to textra just so I can have separate tones for people. I have the Galaxy watch now so if I can use Textra with it I think I'm going to give it a try again. I mostly use Facebook messenger but there's a few people that don't have it that I text.

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I use Samsung Messages on my Note 9 and AA seems to work just fine for me. I'm able to send/receive messages through AA.

It only takes a minute to switch from one message app to another as default. The best test would be switch over and give it a try. If it's not to your liking, switch back.

Ok, switched to Samsung Messages as default and will try sending some text messages via AA today. Thanks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non