A software update just took place on my S10, now it is asking for a password.

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Re: Galaxy s10 wants a password after update

I've tried my current Google password, my current Samsung password, and the other 3 passwords I've used since I bought the phone in March. It's not that.

I can boot into recovery mode and download mode, but I lack the kung fu to do anything with that. I'm down to my last password attempt before a hard reset, so I guess I lose my data to the Gods of QA Imbeciles.
Did you have your Samsung account doing routine backups? Google backups?
I wonder if you'll still need a password after you reset.
Posters who state they never used a password id like to know how the phone was being used as to never be required.

Jul 12, 2019
Visit site
Re: Galaxy s10 wants a password after update

Did you have your Samsung account doing routine backups? Google backups?
I wonder if you'll still need a password after you reset.
Posters who state they never used a password id like to know how the phone was being used as to never be required.

I've been using a PIN since day one.

I can boot to recovery/download.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah that's on me. I'm incensed that I'm going to lose data because of yet another shoddy OS update and I lost my patience. I do apologize.
You wouldn't if you kept the phone backed up. Imagine if Google said "Sorry, all your data is gone because one of our hard drives went".

If everything is backed up, do a factory reset, get into the phone and restore everything.

You can't keep Samsung from sending out defective updates, but you can keep from losing important data.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
You wouldn't if you kept the phone backed up. Imagine if Google said "Sorry, all your data is gone because one of our hard drives went".

If everything is backed up, do a factory reset, get into the phone and restore everything.

You can't keep Samsung from sending out defective updates, but you can keep from losing important data.
I agree

Kevinwr450

Jul 8, 2019
Visit site
It's possible , but no one came forward to try to work with us , just my Samsung did this and there gone .

I had to ship my phone back to Samsung to get it unlocked! Nothing would work on the phone not even a reset was still asking for password. Customer service is totally useless

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I had to ship my phone back to Samsung to get it unlocked! Nothing would work on the phone not even a reset was still asking for password. Customer service is totally useless
Sorry to hear that , this is a first that something like this happened , hope Samsung straighten this out.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If this does turn out to be a glitch with the Samsung update, it'll just make me do an atomic facepalm. Another buggy update in a long line of them from Samsung.:-\

BTW, this problem is not unheard of. I remember not too long ago that a system update to the Blu Life One X locked users out of their phones, asking for a nonexistent (or different) password.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to move this thread to the S10 forum, since it seems to be an important topic for that specific area.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
So this is the official solution from Samsung board?? :confused:

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S10/Phone-locked-after-last-update/m-p/730690

Select the Factory data reset option>Press power to select>Press power to confirm.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

If this does turn out to be a glitch with the Samsung update, it'll just make me do an atomic facepalm. Another buggy update in a long line of them from Samsung.:-\

BTW, this problem is not unheard of. I remember not too long ago that a system update to the Blu Life One X locked users out of their phones, asking for a nonexistent (or different) password.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non