S10+ battery goes down while charging in car

Jesus Delgadillo

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
So I live in Houston Tx which is an inferno right now with daily temperatures to up to 112F. I dont know if that has anything to do with it but ever since last week whenever I plug my phone to charge in my car, with original charger cable and fast charger from Samsung, instead of charging, the battery goes down, as if it wasnt charging but its charging and on the phone it says fast charging like it should. I use my GPS for deliveries and Bluetooth for my music. It didnt happen before. The chargers seem fine as I have never damaged them. Any ideas what may cause this or its just the heat that causes it?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Extreme heat can definitely cause this. Is your phone in direct sunlight? If so, try moving it to a shaded area and keep an AC vent blowing on it.

Jesus Delgadillo

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
No I do not let it get direct sunlight but the environment around is very hot. I do put it by the ac vent and it seems to cool off.
Extreme heat can definitely cause this. Is your phone in direct sunlight? If so, try moving it to a shaded area and keep an AC vent blowing on it.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
If the phone itself is being kept cool, then the heat outside the car isn't an issue. It is normal to see the charge slow down while using the phone, especially when it's the power hungry GPS, but to have the battery drain while plugged in is likely a hardware issue. The most common problem is a bad USB cable, but could also be the port or charger block.

Just to be sure, I'd suggest getting a battery monitoring app like AccuBattery or Gsam and check your battery temps while it's having this symptom.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
So I live in Houston Tx which is an inferno right now with daily temperatures to up to 112F. I dont know if that has anything to do with it but ever since last week whenever I plug my phone to charge in my car, with original charger cable and fast charger from Samsung, instead of charging, the battery goes down, as if it wasnt charging but its charging and on the phone it says fast charging like it should. I use my GPS for deliveries and Bluetooth for my music. It didnt happen before. The chargers seem fine as I have never damaged them. Any ideas what may cause this or its just the heat that causes it?
Do you ever get a notice that the phone is draining faster than it's charging?
I have gotten that on mine recently, however I'm using the vehicle's USB port which is not high output. Could be you have a lot of apps running in the background.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm thinking couple things here , either try different high output car charger or you have too many things going on in car electrical system not keeping up , like charging the phone ,AC on ,headlights,radio possible your car alternator is struggling to put out with lot of demand.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking couple things here , either try different high output car charger or you have too many things going on in car electrical system not keeping up , like charging the phone ,AC on ,headlights,radio possible your car alternator is struggling to put out with lot of demand.

Even at full stock electrical load, an alternator should have enough headroom to power a phone charger with no problem. I doubt that's the problem.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Even at full stock electrical load, an alternator should have enough headroom to power a phone charger with no problem. I doubt that's the problem.
Not if a alternator old and weak , alternator don't put out full amps at idle or traffic where car be at 650 to 750 rpm long periods of time,it starts getting more it's full rated capacity at higher rpms but like I mentioned if it's weak something not getting full voltage. OEM allow a small buffer of margin in it's design.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm sure some have experience at night you have Heater going ,headlights on ,rear defrost and your at idle and headlights dim , as you leave the traffic light it brightens up again , why because alternator is weak or wrong amperage for that vehicle it can't supply power to everything at once so something will lose voltage until demands are less greater or fix alternator.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure some have experience at night you have Heater going ,headlights on ,rear defrost and your at idle and headlights dim , as you leave the traffic light it brightens up again , why because alternator is weak or wrong amperage for that vehicle it can't supply power to everything at once so something will lose voltage until demands are less greater or fix alternator.
True, but that would be intermittent, and it sounds like this is a constant slow charge problem.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Even if the car battery were down to 10 Volts, the charger should be able to give the phone full charge (of course, the car wouldn't start - but I've gotten full QuickCharge 3 charging from a car that had such a dead battery that it wouldn't start).

I suspect that the combination of hot battery and hot charger (which sits in the car when the driver doesn't) are combining to give a charge with less current available than the phone is drawing. Running the same charger and phone in a shop with a 12 Volt "car simulator" power supply, after both the phone and the charger had cooled off, would diagnose whether it was heat or, possibly, a charger that's been damaged by what could be 150°F (65°C) when the car isn't being used. (And some chips are only guaranteed to 55°C - even though they end up in cars.) So you get into a hot car, start it, turn on the AC, then plug the charger in - and it's still over its max temperature rating and things start to weaken [it involves charge carrier mobility and other things you didn't learn in physics classes in school]. If the charger is plugged into a socket that has power even when the ignition is off, that just makes it worse.)

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
My wife's s10 can't be wired charged in a car but my s10+ can charge using the same adapter and wire that hers cannot. Her remedy was to get a wireless charger that hooks on to the vent and she hasn't had a issue since.
267e1d5693af5cad88036c3f7010389c.jpg

8cf34bc0b2649acc87b783baf9972618.jpg

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
My wife's s10 can't be wired charged in a car but my s10+ can charge using the same adapter and wire that hers cannot. Her remedy was to get a wireless charger that hooks on to the vent and she hasn't had a issue since.
267e1d5693af5cad88036c3f7010389c.jpg

8cf34bc0b2649acc87b783baf9972618.jpg
You have a link for that wireless charger?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
How long have you been using the wireless charger? While the phone isn't seeing direct sunlight and heat the charger is baking in the sun. I'd say it's your charger over any of the other suggestions. I'm also a little surprised that you get a fast charging message with a car wireless charger. Most of the ones I've seen are 10 amps or less, usually 5 amps. Plus they're dependant on your plug adaptor and the socket output. It's a nice setup but I think it's the charger. Plug it in for a day and see if your issue doesn't go away.

Jesus Delgadillo

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Sorry just got off work. So it definitely goes back to charging fast once I put i sit it in my holder that's in the ac vent. After the phone's temperature goes back to normal, the charging issue stops. It's only when it's hot and without the ac. Its definitely not my alternator as my car is new and I got it checked before this happened for something else and its perfectly fine. I confirmed today it happens when the windows are down and the phone gets hot due to the heat in this city. Once I put it in the ac vent and temperature goes down, it charges as it should

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Sorry just got off work. So it definitely goes back to charging fast once I put i sit it in my holder that's in the ac vent. After the phone's temperature goes back to normal, the charging issue stops. It's only when it's hot and without the ac. Its definitely not my alternator as my car is new and I got it checked before this happened for something else and its perfectly fine. I confirmed today it happens when the windows are down and the phone gets hot due to the heat in this city. Once I put it in the ac vent and temperature goes down, it charges as it should
Yep here I believe is the one. https://www.powr.co/products/powr-wireless-car-charger

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez