(Misleading title) Did Samsung's Bixby just beat out Siri, Alexa and Google

Status
Not open for further replies.

Velenoso

Nov 11, 2018
Visit site
https://www.afr.com/technology/did-samsungs-bixby-just-beat-out-siri-alexa-and-google-20181107-h17n1y

I had Bixby change a quick command once, which it shouldn't be able to do. I know he has a higher level of intelligence and have been to now disappointed with his progress.

I was screwing around with bixby's Qcoms and set a string of Qcoms to test it's limitations.

Like connect to the chromecast TV, open youtube, Something else which I can't remember what it was, take a picture and turn on the flash light.

Well it did all the commands I set until it got to turn on the flash light, when it told me it turned the flash on in the camera and the way it told me this reminded me of small child telling you it did something that it was proud of. It was truely freaky.

I guess it turned the flash on in the camera because it was more contextually relevant to the set of commands I set.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Where in that article does it say Bixby 'beat out' Siri/Assistant/Alexa? I can't find it.

What I do know is that after using all four AI assistants, I've found Bixby to be by far the worst, which is a pretty amazing feat considering Siri was already pretty bad. I also find it quite obnoxious of Samsung to put in a physical button to trigger Bixby, which always causes a delay for it to fire up.

if Samsung can improve Bixby drastically, great, go for it. But they're definitely on the back foot in the AI race.

Velenoso

Nov 11, 2018
Visit site
Where in that article does it say Bixby 'beat out' Siri/Assistant/Alexa? I can't find it.

What I do know is that after using all four AI assistants, I've found Bixby to be by far the worst, which is a pretty amazing feat considering Siri was already pretty bad. I also find it quite obnoxious of Samsung to put in a physical button to trigger Bixby, which always causes a delay for it to fire up.

if Samsung can improve Bixby drastically, great, go for it. But they're definitely on the back foot in the AI race.

We both know how I feel about most of what you have to say, but about the Bixby button, IMO that's the best way to interact with bixby at the moment.

I know Dixby isn't good, I've been calling him Dixby for a while for a reason, but yeah a quick command from the Bixby button is actually good.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
We both know how I feel about most of what you have to say, but about the Bixby button, IMO that's the best way to interact with bixby at the moment.

I know Dixby isn't good, I've been calling him Dixby for a while for a reason, but yeah a quick command from the Bixby button is actually good.

Pixel phones have a squeeze function (or you can program it to recognize your voice so you can yell) to command Google. So I would say that is their "button" for GA.

Velenoso

Nov 11, 2018
Visit site
Pixel phones have a squeeze function (or you can program it to recognize your voice so you can yell) to command Google. So I would say that is their "button" for GA.

I did hear back around mid last year that google was going to do a button when they realised that the Bixby button was actually useful.

Velenoso

Nov 11, 2018
Visit site
Ehhh useful :p.

With a one word command I can get bixby to connect to my TV's chromecast, open youtube and play a song associated to that command.

I know google can do it aswell cause I setup more of less the same months ago, but I don't use it, I was just screwing around in google's settings to see what it could do.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
With a one word command I can get bixby to connect to my TV's chromecast, open youtube and play a song associated to that command.

I know google can do it aswell cause I setup more of less the same months ago, but I don't use it, I was just screwing around in google's settings to see what it could do.

And that is fine -- for me it just seems you are making it sound like Bixby is doing something the others can't which isn't the case. Just because you didn't use it before doesn't mean the functionality wasn't there.

Velenoso

Nov 11, 2018
Visit site
And that is fine -- for me it just seems you are making it sound like Bixby is doing something the others can't which isn't the case. Just because you didn't use it before doesn't mean the functionality wasn't there.

I don't believe I said anything like that can you show me where I said that? I stated what I could get both bixby and google to do.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't believe I said anything like that can you show me where I said that? I stated what I could get both bixby and google to do.

"Did samsung's bixby just beat out.." -- is where you said it. As if it can do something they cannot. Hell even Siri (which is awful) has a dedicated button (hold power button) and can do things like flashlight, open an app, etc.

Velenoso

Nov 11, 2018
Visit site
"Did samsung's bixby just beat out.." -- is where you said it. As if it can do something they cannot. Hell even Siri (which is awful) has a dedicated button (hold power button) and can do things like flashlight, open an app, etc.

Wow do you need a nappy change?

I would thought that was a question not a statement, is there a button here to block your harassment

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Wow do you need a nappy change?

I would thought that was a question not a statement, is there a button here to block your harassment

I am harassing you because I am discussing a topic that you created to discuss?

Sorry. I didn't know I wasn't allowed to disagree with you. I took it as a question hence me saying that GA and others have done it (and me explaining why I said that).. I guess you missed that?

Velenoso

Nov 11, 2018
Visit site
I am harassing you because I am discussing a topic that you created to discuss?

Sorry. I didn't know I wasn't allowed to disagree with you. I took it as a question hence me saying that GA and others have done it (and me explaining why I said that).. I guess you missed that?

You know you're harassing maybe some lawyer here wants to make a quick back can see it too.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You know you're harassing maybe some lawyer here wants to make a quick back can see it too.

Uh sorry that isn't how it works. If you don't want to discuss a topic then don't make it. Simple as that. Forums work for discussions -- not who you want to discuss and who you don't.

Velenoso

Nov 11, 2018
Visit site
Uh sorry that isn't how it works. If you don't want to discuss a topic then don't make it. Simple as that. Forums work for discussions -- not who you want to discuss and who you don't.

You stated "I am harassing you because I am discussing a topic that you created to discuss?" that's all I need.

Discussing isn't the same as harassing.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You stated "I am harassing you because I am discussing a topic that you created to discuss?" that's all I need.

Discussing isn't the same as harassing.

That is a question -- sorry you didn't see it (even though you quoted the "?"). Since you made a topic yet don't want to actually discuss with people I will simply close it down. These forums allow civil discussions and disagreements -- If you can't handle that then this isn't the best place for you.

If you want to just make statements without anyone replying then I would suggest creating a blog for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez