Task650 AOKP ROM Currently; Thinking of Return to TW

Dragostini

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
TLDR = Below

Hi all!

I've become quite the Flashaholic since I got my Rogers S3 about three months ago... Just to name a couple ROMS I've tried: ParanoidAndroid, LiquidSmooth, Task650

I've stuck with Task650 now for a few weeks because I simply LOVE how smooth it runs, battery life is great (Noop and OnDemand Kernel Settings) and I love the Customization that comes with AOKP. I truly have no complaints...or so I thought.

I began rooting / flashing my phone the day after I got it; so I never had much chance to play around with the stock rom / TouchWiz features, So I wasn't even sure what all the features were! Today I was sitting here, and I saw a commercial for the S4, how a guy is watching a video on his phone and he looks away; the video automatically paused because he wasn't looking at the screen. I thought "This is pretty neat! I wonder if my S3 can do anything like that. Perhaps I'll have to modify it somehow or get a specific app / service." and so I started doing research. Turns out the S3 has something similar to this called "Smart Stay". I looked in my menu's and discovered it doesn't exist on Task650 so I googled it, and turns out it's not featured in any AOKP ROM. It's a TouchWiz feature. There were a couple other nifty Touchwiz features I liked such as "Camera Quick Access", "Double tap to top" and the Motion Quick calls (Hold phone up to ear while on a Contact Card or Text message to automatically call someone). None of these (that I can discover) are available for AOKP.

TLDR= Touchwiz has a lot of nifty features I currently don't have running Task650 AOKP.

I'm debating moving back to Touchwiz, and wanted the opinions of you all. The downsides to switching back? Any Custom ROMS with all these features that you'd recommend and Kernels for said ROMS with good battery life?

Tell me your thoughts!

Thanks!

Last edited:

Aaron Watson

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I was flashaholic too. I liked stock android too because it was a new UI but i quickly got bored of it because it was too basic. I missed features like multi window, smart stay, direct call and swipe left to call right to message. Plus i have flashed a zip that makes all apps compatible with multi Window and couldn't be happier.

Posted via Android Central App from my Samsung Galaxy S3! GT-19300

Strider2112

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I would go back to TW. Flashing custom roms is nice if you want the latest version of Jelly Bean at all times, but in my opinion, the gains do not outweigh the losses.

I used to be a hardcore flasher with my Bell S3, I am now back on the Touchwiz 4.1.1 firmware, rooted. I would suggest just going back to touchwiz, samsung did a very good job with all the nice features in their phones. Plus the camera is better.