GS3 has THE worst auto-correction on the keyboard.

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I tried the Swype beta and it isn't bad, but still needs a lot of work. Hence the BETA tag. I personally don't like using the swype style for typing, but it isn't a bad keyboard just for regular typing. But it seems like they have like 1 guy working on it, so progress is slow it seems.

Anyway, I tried Swiftkey 3 and it works pretty good after the update from a few days ago. But I do have a question before I dish out $4 on it.

First off, any one know of any up and coming google play promotions that might make it on sale? :) I hadda ask.

Second and more importantly. After purchasing it, is there a place I can get the APK file for it for back up purposes?

This many sound crazy, but maybe once every month or two, I factory reset my phone and reinstall everything from scratch so I can go back to that "Fresh" feeling when everything is wiped and freshly reinstalled from scratch. I don't back up programs or settings cause I like things to be reinstalled from scratch to start over. Nothing like that fresh feeling from a newly reset phone and apps. After working with the phone for awhile you install and then uninstall stuff, so you lose that freshness over time.

So anyway, that is the reason why I haven't purchased any apps yet and only have gone with the freebees, cause I amd curious as to what happens when you reset your phone and have to redownload an app you purchased. I wasn't sure how that worked. Atleast with an iPhone it keeps a copy in your iTunes on your computer for times you do a reset and need to reinstall everything.

Can someone please enlightened me how the system works on Android when you have to reinstall purchased apps? I was thinking if I bought Swiftkey and had the APK file for backup, I could just sideload it easily after resetting my phone.

I'm not looking to use a backup program like Titanium or anything BTW.

Thanks.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Swiftkey , shmiftkey. Any time Android warns me an app can collect every single thing I type into my device the answer is a swift' resounding hell no. Maybe you trust swiftkey with your passwords and credit card numbers. Not I.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

judge34411

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Can someone please enlightened me how the system works on Android when you have to reinstall purchased apps? I was thinking if I bought Swiftkey and had the APK file for backup, I could just sideload it easily after resetting my phone.

Thanks.

Do not worry when you do a clean install and use the same email account in the store with the same Google account it remembers all you had installed. You loose nothing.

Oh. An if you do have the APK file that would be called theft. Kinda frowned upon around here.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
SwiftKey ftw! Definitely missing out if you're not using it.

Sent from my GT-I9300

Tried it, didn't care for it, but then again, I spend a lot of time in a vehicle, be it my cavalier, my monte carlo, or some 20 ton truck... I find it easier to swype and drive...

Sent using my MoPho-King photon

OniBerry

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
That's the only issue I had with my S3. Autocorrect was bad!!! I just turned it off. I don't mind the stock keyboard, but I will probably check out Swype or Swiftkey if what other users say is true about it being night and day with the stock kb.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Tried it, didn't care for it, but then again, I spend a lot of time in a vehicle, be it my cavalier, my monte carlo, or some 20 ton truck... I find it easier to swype and drive...

Sent using my MoPho-King photon
I don't swype or type while I'm driving. I can usually tell when someone else is though.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Swiftkey , shmiftkey. Any time Android warns me an app can collect every single thing I type into my device the answer is a swift' resounding hell no. Maybe you trust swiftkey with your passwords and credit card numbers. Not I.

No other way to build artificial intelligence into individualized text prediction.

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
The only keyboard I've found that's even remotely acceptable is the jelly bean one that was on the front page here a week or so ago. None of the others in my opinion are good enough. I'd hate to think anyone is stealing my personal info but only time will tell and it seems highly unlikely.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site

Every single keyboard you ever install from any source will give you this notification. It's a stock Android warning that appears every time you install any keyboard.

stevekat

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded the Swype Beta today 1.0.3.5809. It installs, but I cannot get the Swype Keyboard to appear. I can go to settings/language and choose Swype keyboard to enable it in the system, but I can not find a way for it to become my input method, or have the Swype Keyboard appear. I can only see the Samsung keyboard in my apps.

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
... long press a text box, hit input method, swype should appear as an option

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

dirtbiker0025

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Another thing i hate about the samsung keyboard is the dictionary... why is there two dictionaries? one that has all my words backed up from my bionic then the predictive text word dictionary that the phone uses.. at first i thought it was just words that weren't in my regular dictionary but now im finding i have to re enter all my words as i go

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I took the advise of a few people and downloaded the jelly bean keyboard from the market.

That was exactly what I was looking for. It works great and uses stock auto correct algorithm that google makes and not the bastardized version that Samsung uses.

stevekat

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Got this installed. Problem was that on the install, when has to navigate back to the set up screen for Swype after being sent away, to activate Swype. A bit confusing but workable. I had to remove and reinstall the Swype Beta to correct the error for the first install. Swype Beta is SO MUCH BETTER than the simple T9 predictive text and swiping built into the SIII.

I downloaded the Swype Beta today 1.0.3.5809. It installs, but I cannot get the Swype Keyboard to appear. I can go to settings/language and choose Swype keyboard to enable it in the system, but I can not find a way for it to become my input method, or have the Swype Keyboard appear. I can only see the Samsung keyboard in my apps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch