Otterbox Defender woes

summerlin18

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I received this case in the mail today, and while living the size and build of the case, I have to say that I'm very disappointed in the screen protector. It takes away from the clarity of the SIII screen somethin awful. The screen looks as though there are a bunch of red and green pixels all over the place. White screens aren't white, they're multicolored. I've noticed that it does the same thing to my fiance's iPhone screen, but it isn't nearly as bad as it does to this phone. Any solutions for a fix?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

mallardhunter

May 3, 2012
Visit site
You can take it out and put any screen saver you like on your phone.I was using a defender I took the plastic screen saver out of the defender case and used a Zagg on its place. Much better!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

mallardhunter

May 3, 2012
Visit site
I am now
using a PT case from best buy and no screen saver. This is the set up that I like best. I will take my chances on damaging the screen. Any cover you put on the screen will take away from your screen. I just take care with my phone.. I will put a defender back on for hunting season. But, it will be the one I took the screen saver out of.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Take screen protector off.and use invisible shield HD. I have it and I barely can tell its there. Only with the screen off I can tell. After a couple days is feels just as smooth.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

vudugan

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
Is it a bit cumbersome to use the Home Button as well as the Menu and Back? What about moving Icons from screen to screen on alt Laucnchers? (Tilt to move icon on goLauncher doesn't work). I got this when I preordered and the height around the sides and bottom is killing my interaction with GS3.

Amazon.com: Rugged Dual Layer Impact-Absorbing Case With Built-In Kickstand for Verizon , Sprint , AT&T , and T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S III / SIII / S3 / S 3 / i9500 ** Includes Accessory Genie Drawstring Bag! **: Cell Phones & Accessories

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely not. Just like the Commuter, the capacitive keys that flank the home button have plenty of play all over each one. I have never had any issue with the UX but then I am not using a third party launcher but I still can't imagine that more icons on the homescreen would make a difference. I have the Commuter and am awaiting the Defender.

vudugan

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
I seen the commuter on a freind's Gnex, i like the way the sides and bottom slant inwards compared to what I have. That will be my choice case. As far as the icon moving.. It's a Motion feature which I believe is only useful with Touchwiz. Haven't tried Nova or Apex yet.

DubM

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone who has the Defender comment on how it feels in your pocket without using the belt clip attachment portion? Is it too large/bulky to have in a front/side pocket of your shorts or pants?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone who has the Defender comment on how it feels in your pocket without using the belt clip attachment portion? Is it too large/bulky to have in a front/side pocket of your shorts or pants?

If you watch the Defender versus Ballistic Maxx, the thickness is increased by 0.3 inches as well as minor amounts for length and width. Given the 4.8 in screen, pocket-friendly may not be in the cards. The added bulk is far outweighed by the protection from drops. There is a drop test video as well. These videos were posted in this forum as I did it a couple of days ago.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I am now
using a PT case from best buy and no screen saver. This is the set up that I like best. I will take my chances on damaging the screen. Any cover you put on the screen will take away from your screen. I just take care with my phone.. I will put a defender back on for hunting season. But, it will be the one I took the screen saver out of.

Me too. I'm loving this. Case is kind of hard to take off though. Other than that. My phone has taken a few drops on carpet from a good 4+ ft. No marks. Or anything. Good in my books. Not bulky either

DubM

May 8, 2012
Visit site
If you watch the Defender versus Ballistic Maxx, the thickness is increased by 0.3 inches as well as minor amounts for length and width. Given the 4.8 in screen, pocket-friendly may not be in the cards. The added bulk is far outweighed by the protection from drops. There is a drop test video as well. These videos were posted in this forum as I did it a couple of days ago.

I already checked those videos out...thanks for them. I know it basically doubles the thickness of the phone. But since it is such a slim phone wondering if it is still pocketable with the Defender on it. I don't know what the heck case to get after reading about so many of them. Only time will tell.

HolyBuckeye

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I already checked those videos out...thanks for them. I know it basically doubles the thickness of the phone. But since it is such a slim phone wondering if it is still pocketable with the Defender on it. I don't know what the heck case to get after reading about so many of them. Only time will tell.

I had one for my DroidX and while it was a little big in my pocket I got used to it and felt fine

jojobda

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Does the commuter come with a belt clip? I want protection and portability for my s3 but the defender is turning it into a brick.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 GT I-9300

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38