Word of warning - get a screen protector! This thing scratches

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
It scratches soooo easily. Contrary to my original opinion in the nude screen thread I now can wholeheartedly say this is the most scratch prone screen I have ever come across. Just a few minutes ago I dropped my phone onto my wooden floor. I'm always very careful but since I've had so many problems with the phone hanging up on people when I go to remove it from my case I was trying to not touch the screen or power button when removing. Well, that was stupid and I dropped it. Got three new micro scratches on the screen.

So within 24 hours I've gone from a pristine screen to having 5 micro scratches, and one of the newly acquired ones is the longest. WTF is up with this Gorilla Glass 2?? I've never seen a screen scratch so easily. This is truly disheartening. I have an iPhone 3G that I used for two years without Gorilla Glass and a Droid 2 that I used for a few months shy of two years. Both phones I didn't use a screen protector and both screens are pristine. This phones screen is seriously easy to scratch. They aren't deep severe scratches but rather micro scratches. You don't really see them much while using the phone unless you hit an angle that reflects light and accents them, but it's still disturbing. One month in with the phone and 5 micro scratches already. Not happy with how delicate the screen is.

Rev.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Word of warning - get a screen protector! This thing scratche

It scratches soooo easily. Contrary to my original opinion in the nude screen thread I now can wholeheartedly say this is the most scratch prone screen I have ever come across. Just a few minutes ago I dropped my phone onto my wooden floor. I'm always very careful but since I've had so many problems with the phone hanging up on people when I go to remove it from my case I was trying to not touch the screen or power button when removing. Well, that was stupid and I dropped it. Got three new micro scratches on the screen.

So within 24 hours I've gone from a pristine screen to having 5 micro scratches, and one of the newly acquired ones is the longest. WTF is up with this Gorilla Glass 2?? I've never seen a screen scratch so easily. This is truly disheartening. I have an iPhone 3G that I used for two years without Gorilla Glass and a Droid 2 that I used for a few months shy of two years. Both phones I didn't use a screen protector and both screens are pristine. This phones screen is seriously easy to scratch. They aren't deep severe scratches but rather micro scratches. You don't really see them much while using the phone unless you hit an angle that reflects light and accents them, but it's still disturbing. One month in with the phone and 5 micro scratches already. Not happy with how delicate the screen is.

Rev.

Is it possible that the "micro" scratches are really micro-fractures resulting from a face first drop? Remember it is still glass and not transparent aluminum. It may be possible to get a insurance replacement? If so, get a Defender case. The depth on the case is such that the rim around the face should absorb most of the shock sparing the screen from fractures.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

Glass is a liquid, and those scratches will go away in a few hundred years! Kidding aside, keys are made of medium metals like brass and some other compounds, and just the laws of physics alone dictate that they wont scratch good glass. Your floor probably had some micro dust on it that was rock solid, and hence the scratches. I am coming around to screen protectors, still not using one, but it seems like a good idea.

Mac.World

ΣΛΤ ΜΣ
May 3, 2012
Visit site

I use one, but not for the sole purpose of preventing scratches. In case I drop my phone it is to help in the prevention of fractures and cracks. Same principle as using laminate on windows in high security or hurricane prone areas. Only downside is, you need to use the wet application style screen protectors. If you don't use a case, this is the next best thing to protect your phone in an accidental drop.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Thus the advantages of the rugged case like the Defender which has a prominent lip and a non-adhesive screen protector. The prominent lip should absorb most of the shock of a face first drop. The screen protector adds another layer of protection to the GG2.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

I use one, but not for the sole purpose of preventing scratches. In case I drop my phone it is to help in the prevention of fractures and cracks. Same principle as using laminate on windows in high security or hurricane prone areas. Only downside is, you need to use the wet application style screen protectors. If you don't use a case, this is the next best thing to protect your phone in an accidental drop.

Why do you consider wet application a downside?!?! Its the EASIEST application of life to use!! The only reason I don't use wet application protectors is because the material is usually soft and grippy which I don't like on my screen. I rather use a dry, harder protector for smoothness and clarity BUT those are problematic to apply because they pick up dust particles so easily.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
You dropped your phone from I'm guessing at least 5+ feet high on to wood and only got a couple micro scratches? That's not good? If it was an iPhone you'd have a shattered phone that's make it hard to see the screen.

Another thing are you using any case? If so what case?

anon(862554)

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

I have a Motorola Atrix for my work phone which has gorilla glass and after reading how it wouldn't get scratches, I didn't put a screen protector on it. Needless to say it got a small scratch on it so I put a screen protector on. For that reason I put a screen protector on my S3 , immediately after getting it

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

I am sorry to hear of your damaged phone screen. But blaming the screen material because you messed up and let it free fall at least 30 inches onto a hardwood floor face first is not a screen issue. It is an operator issue. Believe me, if your face free fell 30 inches onto a hardwood floor it would be more than slightly scratched.
The screen glass is designed to protect the screen sensing film while still allowing the user to input information by very light touch pressure. That these modern flexible extremely thin glass materials can do that and not crack or shatter under normal long term use is amazing. To expect it to save it from gross abuse trauma is simply unreasonable.
Screen protectors do indeed assist in protecting the integraty of the phone's glass screen but not from it designed use. They protect from operator mistakes and abuse that a person would never condone being done to any other piece of electronic gear.

If you feel like using your device without a screen protector, fine. If you choose to use a screen protector that is fine too. But when we screw up, blaming something or someone else is just than an excuse.

Just my opinion, rant over ;)

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Sand sand sand sand sand Sand sand sand sand.

Sand is harder than glass and will scratch it. And being just about the most common thing out of the ocean it's a risk. There is really no protective bezel on this phone too. And I personally don't like GG2. I believe they sacrificed integrity for thinness.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

PeteJE

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site

Mine slipped off the car console to the floor, but, the way it fell, it hit the corner of the metal seat rail right on the glass pretty hard. I had a SGP Ultra Nano (their thinnest) on it. The protector had a triangle gouge cut in it where it hit the seat rail and I was sure it made it through to ding or even crack the glass. I removed the protector and there wasn't any damage or marks at all; I was amazed and thankful. Put my extra one on and have their new curved crystal on order. Beyond the scratch resistance, I believe the protectors provide some structural help against impact and cracks.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

I am sorry to hear of your damaged phone screen. But blaming the screen material because you messed up and let it free fall at least 30 inches onto a hardwood floor face first is not a screen issue. It is an operator issue.

If Corning holds demonstrations where people are encouraged to try and scratch the glass using various hard materials I would think a short drop of 3 feet onto wood shouldn't damage it. One guy in another thread says his demonstration had them throwing phones into pales with rocks in them. Also, that doesn't explain the people that haven't dropped their phone and got scratches they don't even know where from. Read this thread if you don't believe me:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...566-anyone-going-nude-screen-not-worried.html

Yeah, dropping the phone was my fault, no doubt. But if they are advertising the strength of the glass I still feel dropping the phone from 3 feet height onto a wooden floor shouldn't create three new scratches. With how they are advertising Gorilla Glass 2 I don't find that unreasonable at all.

Rev.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

I just removed mine out of my Otterbox Defender case this AM to clean it and still not a single scratch! One of the best investments you can make will be a screen protector for any new device!

glassygurl

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site

My brother tried his with keys... not a mark on it

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

lol! your brother tried scratching his phone with his keys just to test it?? wow.. gutsy!

I would always use a screen protector no matter how "scratch proof" or strong Gorilla Glass or any other glass claims. You never know what happens~

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

I would always use a screen protector no matter how "scratch proof" or strong Gorilla Glass or any other glass claims. You never know what happens~

I was taken by surprise how easily the screen can scratch when I had a Droid 2 for almost two years (original gorilla glass) without a single scratch. I just today ordered the Spigeon screen protector to help prevent any further scratches.

Rev.

Predator04

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Am i like the only one here that knows that screens scratch or something? like isnt this extremly obv? Why do we have threads about this all the time. i guess im just confused.

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Am i like the only one here that knows that screens scratch or something? like isnt this extremly obv? Why do we have threads about this all the time. i guess im just confused.

Going "nude" is the smartphone "enthusiast's" version of living life on the edge until sh*t happens. Then it's "look at this scratch I got!".

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

@predator - The point is how *easily* the screen can scratch.

Rev.

Last edited:

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, dropping the phone was my fault, no doubt. But if they are advertising the strength of the glass I still feel dropping the phone from 3 feet height onto a wooden floor shouldn't create three new scratches. With how they are advertising Gorilla Glass 2 I don't find that unreasonable at all.

Rev.

Again let me say I am sorry your new toy is damaged. No one likes to get the first scratch on their new toys, cars, etc., no matter the reason. And I must agree with you about Corning Glass's advertising. Ads are nothing but a collection of lies by outrageous liers trying to outdo the previous outrageous lier. Even used car salesmen pale in comparison to Madison Ave. ad men. ;););)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty