Battery life on new S3 not so good

luqman24

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
So this is my second day rocking my S3 and so far not happy with the battery life. 5 hours and a half later my battery is at 34% with brightness turned down to 30%. Is that normal because I hope not!!

MrSlippery519

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
What have you been doing? I get a full day out of mine consistently even under fairly heavy use (I have hundreds of work emails so I am on it often). Unless I am playing games for hours my battery has always been solid.

Heck I can get 2 days + out of it on weekends occasionally.

Also this is without power save mode on...I am sure if I turn that on I could go much longer.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
So this is my second day rocking my S3 and so far not happy with the battery life. 5 hours and a half later my battery is at 34% with brightness turned down to 30%. Is that normal because I hope not!!

You're either using the phone extremely heavily and/or you have a bad phone and/or bad battery.

Wnrgway

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
In my experience there was a break-in period for battery life of a few days. The first day was horrendous. Part of the problem is spending more time with a new device figuring it out. I'd recommend you review options and turn off anything that you don't think you'll use (i.e. NFC, motion controls, etc.). Definitely turn off GPS when not in use.

Easy Battery Saver and Juice Defender are apps that can help out a bit too. They can save some power by turning off data/wifi when the screen is off and turn them on at preset intervals to check for data.

luqman24

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
All I was doing was browsing the web, a bit of Twitter and facebook and that's pretty much it. I was mostly doing browsing. No gaming, watch videos, buta little bit of listening to music as well. It's because that the battery is new and that I had to let it drain completely first?

fourthchirpin

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1.Settings> Application Manager (You can disable a few apps that you dont use like S-Voice and others)
2. Settings>Developer Options > Window/Transition animation scale to lower or off settings help battery.
3. Settings>Power saving - ON
4. Settings>Display > Brightness lower
5. Settings>Display > Screen Timeout faster
6. Settings>Display> Smart stay - OFF (I turned this off because it wasn't that needed and didn't always sense my eyes)
7. Settings> Sounds> Auto Haptic- OFF
*8. After you finish a applicaton close it by holding down the home button and pressing remove all or u can just swipe off which applications u want.

I did this.and usually it last me about 14-24hrs on the whole battery.

imtoomuch

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I think the battery life on mine is great. I easily get a full day out of my phone.

I would check to make sure you don't have an app that is draining your battery. I updated Google+ to try it, but it's not something I normally use. It turns out it was running on my phone and it killed the battery life. I uninistalled the udpated and disabled it and didn't have a problem.

luqman24

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I always close everything so I don't think it's the apps. I'll give it a few days so the battery can settle in and if not I'll report back.

---------- Post Merged at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:50 PM ----------

Btw I'm running stock 4.0.4 and I'm not sure if the problem is with this update.

sfrrr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
that makes it sound like you have a few apps that stay on and frequently try to log on to check for updates, posts, etc. See what happens if you turn all your push apps (news,.email, Facebook, Twitter, forums, etc.--see what happens if you change their settings to manual.

If you've tried all the other suggestions and this one, and none of them have helped, then you have a defective battery.

Also, your phone isn't really off. It's asleep. The only way to turn off your phone is to power it down. Hold the on-off button down until you get the message that the phone is shutting down. That's another way to keep your phone from polling all of your push apps without resetting everything.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I plan on buying some spare battery's soon

On my Samsung galaxy s3 running android 4.0

Because unlike ios, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not in infinite cluttered homescreens

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
What is eating your battery mostly? Go check is system settings and then battery when you get low and you can see how much battery each app is eating up.

Post back with screen shots.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

paridge

May 20, 2012
Visit site
Weather, email, social media, news apps, etc. that refresh themselves can eat your battery. If you're running any of these apps, you should either reduce the refresh frequency or set them to update manually. Juice Defender helps because it seems to keep background processing to a minimum while you're not using the phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

luqman24

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
What is eating your battery mostly? Go check is system settings and then battery when you get low and you can see how much battery each app is eating up.

Post back with screen shots.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Screen is at 36%, android system at 14%, Cell standby at 14%, and everything else is under 6%.

fourthchirpin

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
have you cycled your battery? as in from 100% full charge use the phone until it completely dies. Ive heard on here that that helps. I noticed a good change in battery once i started to disable things I didn't use. Where in Canada are you from?

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
This just sounds like something is defective. I would return and exchange it right away. You shouldn't have to shut off all of the features that make the phone such a nice tool in the first place. I typically get a full day of moderate use with everything on; wifi, 4g, gps, sync, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

badhabit_wb

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
mine does the same thing if i'm in an area with poor cellular service. my home area doesn't have lte so i set mine to just cdma. That doubled the life of the battery. If i go into an area with 4g i just turn it back on. also dimming the screen, turning off gps, and using wifi when it's available all extend the battery life on my phone. i don't use the power saving setting or any apps to save power and i usually just charge overnight not during the day.

luqman24

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I think I figured out the problem, it was probably the WiFi connection that was so weak at my college and kept disconnecting all day. It's much better now. 2 hours and half later I've only lost 15% while streaming the radio over 4G the whole time too. I guess the weaker the signal the more battery it drains.