No jelly bean until 2013 for US carriers

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
fs. im gettin sick of this.
this is a thread about US carriers disgraceful delay to updating their s3 the normal official way.

everyone with their root this/flash that are gettin on my nerves.. maybe you should be posting on a more advanced forum or maybe start a thread helping people new to android to flash a rom.
dont come on a thread about people wanting official JB sent to their device by their carrier and make them feel like idiots.
theres plenty far more advanced forums than this unless it gives your ego a buzz... the old "big fish small pond" thing?..
..maybe you should be in a bigger pond with your equals?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Rooting and flashing IS FAR FROM HARD. If my 8 yo bro and my 70 yo grandmother can do it so can any adult with an IQ. Lol how hard is it... plug your phone up press a button and done.

Sent from my White Epic 4g Touch rockin Jellybean using Tapatalk 2

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
yeah im experienced in it mate but a lot of people arent and are scared :)

point is, updates could and should be much faster.
even if they released optional official beta versions for normal people (people who arent as geeky about their mobile as us lol) to test out if they want and help speed up the process :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
But like I've stated bro this isn't apple android is on a lot more OEM than apple hince the long updates not to mention the rest of the world needs updates too

Sent from my White Epic 4g Touch rockin Jellybean using Tapatalk 2

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
lol yeah i do totally understand that man but if each oem gets the code at the same time and start skinning it straight away then the multiple oem thing shouldnt come into it.
ive never had an iphone but i understand why they get their update instantly.
i dont understand strange things like 3 UK pushing their carrier bloated version of JB today in UK when the unbranded s3s here havent even got it lol :)

swyost

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
But ios is only on a few devices while android has tons, so that's probably the main reason for this

If Google was like apple and only allowed Google to make android devices, then this problem wouldn't persist

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Actually, one essential issue is that Google releases Android as open source and it really is not released in a form that would count as "gold" or RTM by Apple, Microsoft, or RIM. OEMs do a lot of customizing and layering over the base code. Google could lock down more elements of the OS but that would cost them more time on the release cycle and take some of the flexibility out of the hands of the OEMs. It is really one of those essential tradeoffs. They could take more time on the OS which might mean less time on the OEM and carrier side, or roll out OS versions more quickly but require more time for OEMs and carriers. I think you might also end up splitting just about down the middle with respect to how many are satisfied or dissatisfied.

ExTheGod

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure I read recently that Sprint should be getting it soon but the rest will have to wait for the coming months..I'm on sprint so I'm okay with that

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

el_mariach

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I rooted my phone after one week of owning my gs3. I haven't missed nor looked back at the stock touch wiz or sprint and their bloatware. I don't plan on going back either. What ever possible additions they might have added or will add, I can guarantee that there is a ROM out there that does 10 times more than what their Stock ROM will provide. Yea you'll void the warranty but there are ways to turn the phone back and make it look like it was never flashed and never rooted. And if you're still worried about the warranty. Don't be a klutz and drop your phone or something else more unfortunate. Just read up and take it slow if you go to root. You can never read anything over too much and if someone is willing to help you out, then ask. For those who don't want to root, quit complaining. Every android phone goes through this same exact thing. They don't give an exact date and rumors spring up and people get mad because they believe they are due for an update. Trust me every device I've been on nexus or not gets the same treatment. This isn't Apple. If you want exact dates and don't want to be led on, then shut up and go get an iPhone.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
i agree with everything you said there mate other than the "quit complaining" :)

ItsMeMandi

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
I just went through the waiting and thumb twiddling to get JB on my transformer tablet and its nice and buttery, and Google Now is cool, but it's not like it transformed the device. I like it just as much as I did when I bought it.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I just went through the waiting and thumb twiddling to get JB on my transformer tablet and its nice and buttery, and Google Now is cool, but it's not like it transformed the device. I like it just as much as I did when I bought it.

ive read a few people say that but they wouldnt go back to ICS if you payed them ;)

Mtn_Scott

Remain Calm!
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Its more of broken promises....Samsung said it would be September, then October, then Novmeber...now "Coming Months"...people's expectations are being played with
I don't blame Samsung...I blame the carriers for wanting to all their stupid bloatware and crap on it
Oh, I understand. It looks like you bought an ATT branded GS3, I a VZW GS3. Samsung said the GS3 will be getting a JB update. Those are the facts.
What other psuedo fact we have extrapolated over the years.
An OEM upgrade release date is never accurate.
ATT and Verizon are notorious for holding up updates, making them "better" (VZW actually said that once :mad:)
Many OTA's actually make phone functionality worse (bugs, horrid battery life, removed features, more bloat, etc.)

Knowing all of the above, does it seem reasonable to expect a timely fully functional OTA?

Enjoy the GREAT phone you have, do not pine for the phone you don't. I have JB on my Fascinate, the only thing that i want is the expandable notifications. The only reason I do not have JB on my GS3 is because dock audio out does not work on CM10 and other AOSP roms. So i have a choice, my Fantastic GS3 on ICS, or a not as functional JB rom. I could want everything and and moan at SAMMY and Verizon, and all those hard working devs out there, or I can be patient and enjoy the phone I have now.

htabbach

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
This is the biggest reason why I moved to the iPhone, Apple does not mess around, the update hits all phones when Apple wants, the carriers are not even allowed to put ANY carrier related software on it. I guess Apple has leverage but Google does not

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

I was actually impressed by Google Now today, it was my first time using it since upgrading to jelly bean, and it helped alot, told me when the busses would arrive right on time and told me how long it would take to get home

I will definitely be using it more now that I know what it can do

Mtn_Scott

Remain Calm!
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
This is the biggest reason why I moved to the iPhone, Apple does not mess around, the update hits all phones when Apple wants, the carriers are not even allowed to put ANY carrier related software on it. I guess Apple has leverage but Google does not
This is not a Google phone this is a SAMSUNG phone, running proprietary SAMSUNG software.

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
The carriers are nothing more than "dumb pipes" they need to stay that way, and let Samsung, and Google worry about updates.

geekymcfly

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I was actually impressed by Google Now today, it was my first time using it since upgrading to jelly bean, and it helped alot, told me when the busses would arrive right on time and told me how long it would take to get home

I will definitely be using it more now that I know what it can do

I've been playing around with it but today I got a traffic update while returning home. I actually love that feature bc I am always driving.

"may the odds be in your favor"

Mtn_Scott

Remain Calm!
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
The carriers are nothing more than "dumb pipes" they need to stay that way, and let Samsung, and Google worry about updates.
The problem there is that there is money to be made not being dumb pipes. Think the "Droid" Brand, think $3 visual voicemail, the carriers do not do this sh1t to piss off their customers, they do it because they have a way to make a little extra money off of it. We all have options, I wish we would all use them.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
theres money to be made coz no one is challenging them.. do you realise the raw profit these carriers make from each of you?
i dont like sounding like im bigging-up the UK or anything but theres so much competition especialy from pre-pay sims that offer a monthly bundle for everything so if you buy the phone outright or even on credit like i did, you still save money coz you can change carrier each month and follow the best deals if u want. i really hope the US catches on to this more coz the carriers really are taking the piss..