Navigation App missing after Google Maps Update

Barblau

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
UGH! Google Maps just took me to the wrong place. Even after I entered the address. Well, I suppose I could have parked in front of the house, walked through their backyard, climbed a retaining wall to get to my destination which was on a different street.

I was a bit stressed this morning when I tried checking Navigation for the day camp I needed to drop my daughter off at only to find Navigation gone, along with the address I had entered 3 weeks ago. Thankfully I had time to get the address and enter it into the updated version (Google Maps), and it failed on getting to destination. :(

I'll be working on getting the old version back.

Greatly appreciate all the tips and advice from everyone :)

nanjil

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
i feel the same way. google now feels like microsoft; i am a software developer and backward compatibility is a golden rule.
i do not live my life to 'learn' google

Pam Opanowitz

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Thank you ...thank you....thank you. Just noticed this am that my blue arrow was missing and freaked as this is the best navigation system I've ever used. I followed your instructions to uninstall updates and its back. Whew.

Michael Vieux

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
UGH! Google Maps just took me to the wrong place. Even after I entered the address. Well, I suppose I could have parked in front of the house, walked through their backyard, climbed a retaining wall to get to my destination which was on a different street.

I was a bit stressed this morning when I tried checking Navigation for the day camp I needed to drop my daughter off at only to find Navigation gone, along with the address I had entered 3 weeks ago. Thankfully I had time to get the address and enter it into the updated version (Google Maps), and it failed on getting to destination. :(

I'll be working on getting the old version back.

Greatly appreciate all the tips and advice from everyone :)

Barblau.
When you open Maps, tap on the Head & shoulder icon in the search bar.
Every address you have ever used is listed there.
Every search you've ever done is there.
They are in order by Time, newest first.

First card is Recently saved places
Second card is recently accessed places
If it doesn't show up on either of those cards, tap view all at the bottom of the cards.

Sent from my M470BSA

Last edited:

fablis

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Am I right in thinking that the integration of this Beta navigation into Google Maps isn't real-time while in motion like the old blue navigation icon app was?

And if this is the case then for Google to put out a beta which doesn't have the real-time navigation is plain stupid, having said that was the old Navigation application from Google or was it nothing to do with them? I am sure that on my phone it was pre-installed.

Edit:

The un-installing the Maps updates didn't help for me, all it did was to remove the original map icon and in it's place were 2 Android icons, the first one if hit on took me to a message about the new beta and I had the choice of opening it which I refused, and the second similar android icon would open the previous version of maps only, so this for me anyway didn't put back the older nav icon with the blue arrow. I use the Samsang Galaxy Ace 2 which I just upgraded to JellyBean yesterday.

Last edited:

knwachter

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Stupid question, I know.

How do you clear the new map? I used the "navigation" feature and now I can't get rid of that destination at the bottom of the map.

Michael Vieux

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Am I right in thinking that the integration of this Beta navigation into Google Maps isn't real-time while in motion like the old blue navigation icon app was?

And if this is the case then for Google to put out a beta which doesn't have the real-time navigation is plain stupid, having said that was the old Navigation application from Google or was it nothing to do with them? I am sure that on my phone it was pre-installed.

Edit:

The un-installing the Maps updates didn't help for me, all it did was to remove the original map icon and in it's place were 2 Android icons, the first one if hit on took me to a message about the new beta and I had the choice of opening it which I refused, and the second similar android icon would open the previous version of maps only, so this for me anyway didn't put back the older nav icon with the blue arrow. I use the Samsang Galaxy Ace 2 which I just upgraded to JellyBean yesterday.

The Navigation is in real time just like the old version, my wife uses it every day.
Are you saying your location icon didn't move as you traveled?

All Google apps are Beta.
When you first open any version of Maps, (new or old) and start to use Navigation.
You got a pop up box telling you it was Beta, you could not continue until you agreed, you could also check a box to not show this info again.

Perhaps it's been awhile since the first time you used whichever version you were used to.
But the Beta message was there.

Sent from my M470BSA

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
The Navigation is in real time just like the old version, my wife uses it every day.
Are you saying your location icon didn't move as you traveled?

I think the feature referred to here is the moving Navigation map with no set destination. It's not a big deal to me but I could see how some would miss it.

Michael Vieux

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
I think the feature referred to here is the moving Navigation map with no set destination. It's not a big deal to me but I could see how some would miss it.

Thanks for the explanation.
I've never used that feature, and I never saw a need for it.
But I know everyone uses their tech differently, and just because I don't see a need, doesn't mean there isn't one. :)

PS. I had to go out and drive around to see what you were referring to.
I still use version 6.14.2 on my phone.
Version 7 on my tablet, and wife's phone.

Still trying to see what I prefer :)

Sent from my M470BSA

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Still trying to see what I prefer :)

I've got version 7 on my S3 and Nexus 7 and 6.x on my old Droid Inc. There's a few things I miss from the old maps (mentioned above so I'll won't beat that dead horse) but I like the look and feel of the new version.

For my purposes, I would be happy with either version to be perfectly honest.

Michael Vieux

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
I've got version 7 on my S3 and Nexus 7 and 6.x on my old Droid Inc. There's a few things I miss from the old maps (mentioned above so I'll won't beat that dead horse) but I like the look and feel of the new version.

For my purposes, I would be happy with either version to be perfectly honest.

I'm seriously leaning toward the new version.
After using it on my tablet for awhile, and finding all the ways to do what I did before it's actually a nice app.

Only thing I would like to see is the larger font from the Labs options on the old version.

Sent from my M470BSA

Michael Vieux

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Not exactly intuitive. Thanks...it was driving me crazy.

It's taken me a week to find all the ways to do the things I'd done before.

But like everything, once you start using the new version it becomes just as intuitive as the old.
Just got to get in there and start pushing buttons to see what they do. :)

Sent from my M470BSA

uak

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
You are correct. The update removed Navigation app. Google map works, but there are no voice instructions in this version. - A major shortcoming.