Battery life question

Shawbbyz12

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I recently bought a used galaxy s3 a few weeks ago and I have a question about its battery life.
I have friends who have a galaxy s3 or s4 and their battery life is amazing. They can get more than 10+ hours and still have 80% on their phone.
Unlike my galaxy s3, at only 9 hours of use, I'm down to about 45%. I go on Facebook and other websites periodically throughout the day, but I wouldn't think it would drain this much.
As soon as I take it off the charger, I could use one app and it would immediately start dropping to 99..98..97 and it just drops so quickly. But knowing that this phone was USED I don't know how this battery was charged before I got it... I'm just considering getting a brand new one. I have been using juice defender but I'm not seeing much of a change..
any suggestions? Thank you.

Posted via Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I recently bought a used galaxy s3 a few weeks ago and I have a question about its battery life.
I have friends who have a galaxy s3 or s4 and their battery life is amazing. They can get more than 10+ hours and still have 80% on their phone.
Unlike my galaxy s3, at only 9 hours of use, I'm down to about 45%. I go on Facebook and other websites periodically throughout the day, but I wouldn't think it would drain this much.
As soon as I take it off the charger, I could use one app and it would immediately start dropping to 99..98..97 and it just drops so quickly. But knowing that this phone was USED I don't know how this battery was charged before I got it... I'm just considering getting a brand new one. I have been using juice defender but I'm not seeing much of a change..
any suggestions? Thank you.

Welcome to the forums!
Comparing the S3 to the S4 for battery life is not a fair comparison. The battery is bigger on the S4. Now, as for comparing your friends with an S3 with yours, yes, how the battery was cared for is one thing. Are you on different carriers? That makes a difference due to someone may have a stronger cell strength. How much do each of you use your devices makes a difference. YOu just going on FB several times a day with a weak signal can eat up battery.

If you could, post screenshots of the battery stats and the graph in Settings>Battery.
Juice Defender is hit and miss. Some people say it helps, others say it cripples. I had Juice Defender, and I hated it. I look at it this way, it's an app that is in use. Anytime your phone needs to process something, even evaluation of your battery, can kill it.

You may not need a new device, but try a new battery.

Shawbbyz12

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I have metro for my phone and I have 4 bars most of the time. They use their s3 for music and basically the same stuff I do.
yeah I was just thinking about getting a new battery.
I'll post a picture, but I'm not sure how to. I'm new to this forum lol.

Shawbbyz12

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
Comparing the S3 to the S4 for battery life is not a fair comparison. The battery is bigger on the S4. Now, as for comparing your friends with an S3 with yours, yes, how the battery was cared for is one thing. Are you on different carriers? That makes a difference due to someone may have a stronger cell strength. How much do each of you use your devices makes a difference. YOu just going on FB several times a day with a weak signal can eat up battery.

If you could, post screenshots of the battery stats and the graph in Settings>Battery.
Juice Defender is hit and miss. Some people say it helps, others say it cripples. I had Juice Defender, and I hated it. I look at it this way, it's an app that is in use. Anytime your phone needs to process something, even evaluation of your battery, can kill it.

You may not need a new device, but try a new battery.

I have metro for my phone and I have 4 bars most of the time. They use their s3 for music and basically the same stuff I do.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Another thing to consider is screen brightness, sync, their signal strength, etc. No two phones are going to be exactly alike.

Sent from a Slim 4.3 S3

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
They can get more than 10+ hours and still have 80% on their phone.
Yeah, if they never use their phones.

You should expect about 12 hours of moderate use; 3 hours of that being screen on time; ending up around 20% remaining; assuming good cellular signal the whole time; using Wi-Fi most of the time; and brightness at minimum. Change any of those variables and you'll see an equivalent drop in battery life. YMMV.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Shawbbyz12

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site

You should expect about 12 hours of moderate use; 3 hours of that being screen on time; ending up around 20% remaining; assuming good cellular signal the whole time; using Wi-Fi most of the time; and brightness at minimum. Change any of those variables and you'll see an equivalent drop in battery life. YMMV.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

I get a good 10 or more hours with heavy use. I just expected more out of the galaxy's battery. I've heard good things about it.

ziggy29

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
The thing about JD seems to be that the people it helps the most are the people who need it the least. Heavy users who constantly keep the phone in use will see little or no benefit to JD, and as an extra running process it could be counterproductive. Those who lightly use the phone -- who have it "off" 80-90% of the day or more, these are the ones who can get a significant boost to battery life -- they may get 3-4 days out of it instead of 1-2 days. But these are also the people who can easily get a full day's "life" out of a battery even without JD, so if they regularly charge overnight anyway, they really haven't gained much -- they probably have more than 50% battery life remaining at bedtime even without it.

My own testing and experienced has demonstrated this, at least with one anecdotal data point -- In times when I lightly use the phone, JD can massively increase the battery life. But when it's in heavy use, it does little (if anything). And since it is the latter group who need to squeeze additional battery life the most, it's not really a solution for most folks who run out of battery before they run out of day.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The thing about JD seems to be that the people it helps the most are the people who need it the least. Heavy users who constantly keep the phone in use will see little or no benefit to JD, and as an extra running process it could be counterproductive. Those who lightly use the phone -- who have it "off" 80-90% of the day or more, these are the ones who can get a significant boost to battery life -- they may get 3-4 days out of it instead of 1-2 days. But these are also the people who can easily get a full day's "life" out of a battery even without JD, so if they regularly charge overnight anyway, they really haven't gained much -- they probably have more than 50% battery life remaining at bedtime even without it.

My own testing and experienced has demonstrated this, at least with one anecdotal data point -- In times when I lightly use the phone, JD can massively increase the battery life. But when it's in heavy use, it does little (if anything). And since it is the latter group who need to squeeze additional battery life the most, it's not really a solution for most folks who run out of battery before they run out of day.
Good points.

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site

That's about what I get. I keep an Anker battery handy.

--Tapatalk on SGS3.