Galaxy S3 Hotspot works for Google but not other websites (connected to VAIO)

YammyPatchaya

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I am very new to Sumsung and not sure if the problem is being caused by Sumsung Galaxy S3, VAIO laptop, or Lycamobile data network.

The problem is: after a few hours I have managed to connect my Sumsung Hotspot to VAIO laptop. The signal strength is excelent. However when using Chrome, I could only connect to gmail, google search, and google+. There is no luck with google map, though. For other websites, a little window pops up saying "Opps! Google Chrome could not connect to www.yelp.co.uk" or simply "This webpage is not available"

When using Internet Explorer, none of the website could be connected...

Has anyone had this problem before or would you be able to advise what I should do please?

Thanks heap in advance,
Yammy

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central Yammy!

Do you have tethering setup on your account with your carrier? It almost sounds as web access is being filtered.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. I'm not familiar with Lycamobile, but I assume that's your carrier? Are you sure you have a tethering plan?

My guess is that you are not actually connected to the internet correctly and are looking at cached versions of those pages in Chrome. Try holding CTRL+F5 (which does a hard-refresh of the browser) and it'll probably come back saying it can't display the page.

You can also check the status of your internet connection on your Vaio to see if it's limited or not (typically you'll see the wifi thing down in the lower right by the clock, but you can also check the status in Control Panel).

YammyPatchaya

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi Haalcylon,

I have no idea...so prabably not. I only bought the unlimited data package from Lycamobile (who is network provider like Vodafone, 3mobile, O2)

Let me tey looking on their website to see if there is such option to buy.

By the way, my SIM card is pay as you go which I am not sure if it has anything to do with the problem.

YammyPatchaya

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi EvilMonkey,

I tried Ctlr+F5, the page is downloaded okay. I can still receive new emails on gmail as well. So this is weird and interesting. I don't know if Lycamobile has any connection/partnership with google. But if so, why can't I access google map?

The internet connect icon looks okay too. It says "Internet Access" without the word "limited"

I am very convinced to think that Lycamobile does not provide tethering service. But can I still access google search, gmail, and google+ ...?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Are you using the wireless hotspot feature or is the phone connected to your computer via the micro-USB port?

Anyway, typically this kind of thing either works or it doesn't - there's usually no in-between. So it's strange that some apps on your laptop seem to have an Internet connection while others don't.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

YammyPatchaya

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi GSDer,

I know this is really strange and I have given up on Lycamobile and ordered a new SIM from GibGab (UK). I suspected it is because of the network. I just couldn't figure out why the internet only worked with gmail, google search and google+.

Thank yiu everyone. I might try to find out again after I finish my project work. I will post herebif I finally figure out what has happened. Meantimes, if anyone happened to have the same problem, please share ( so I know that it's not only my Galxy that is acting weird) hehe

Thanks again all,
Yammy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38