Why so much hate?

omniusovermind

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
YOU DON'T NEED FREAKING 8 CORES FOR PERFORMANCE. God damn when is this myth about the more corespondent better gonna die? You are just looking at specs and not real world performance.

agreed, it's all about optimization. I've yet to see one single phone claim the title of "lag free smoothness" that sets it clear above the rest. Take note that even the LGOG which is basically the carrier branded LTE version of the N4 with mostly the same hardware has received a lot of praise from Engadget, Verge, and others about the smoothness of it's UI and it's running last year's snapdragon CPU.

Take a long look at almost all of the most recent editorials around the web and you'll notice a lot of them saying the same theme: all of the android OEM's have reached the upper limit of the hardware to run jellybean quickly and they're all trying to compete against each other with built in features and design cues rather than specs. Now more than ever your choice of Android flavors has switched from specs to Touchwiz, Sense, etc. Sadly cameras have entered the battle which I personally find pathetic because most of you are just using it to post pictures of your toenail polish in Instagram anyway :-\

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I disagree about the first part, plenty of Android fans don't bash apple every chance they get. They just don't talk about it obviously so you don't hear them as much.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums
Then you haven't seen how many comments I've seen that HAVE to have the iPhone being bashed.

derface19

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
The hate for Samsung is so strong people would trade their precious SD cards and removable batteries for the One. Funny I was led to believe that those things plus locked bootloaders were supposed to be the reason HTC was failing. Seriously anything Samsung would've done would be called gimmicky or ripping off of the Note series.

Sent from my Jelly Bean chomping Infuse 4G!
"Samsung would've done would be called gimmicky or ripping off of the Note series."
The funny thing about that is.. Samsung created these phones.. Who cares if they take features from there own phones? lol People

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Speaking of build quality Samsung S4 vs. HTC One vs. IPhone 5. Everyone is ragging on the fact that Samsung went w/ a poly-carbonate frame again but those same people complained when the IPhone 5 was showing up with scratches out of the box. I think Samsungs choice in using the poly-carbonate is more than just looks. They went with something they new would continue to hold up to scratches better without it being glaringly obvious like the IPhone 5 does and undoubtedly the HTC One will. That being said if the only thing you can say is you don't like the material used to construct your precious new phone put a freaking case on it like the vast majority of people do.

As far as the other differences between HTC One and Samsung S4 from what I can tell it's gonna come down to personal preference. I have owned both a Samsung and HTC android phone (had the Samsung Moment & currently HTC EVO 3d) and loved them both while simultaneously wanting to strangle the crap out of them. I'm still not sure which phone I am going to upgrade too but am leaning towards the S4 just from using my wifes S3. No matter what I get though I'm sure I'll have buyers remorse later.

Scratches are overblown simply to give Apple haters more complaints. Some of the Nexus 4's had a bad earpiece does that mean that every a nexus has that issue? No.

omniusovermind

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone 4, had a "retina" display WHEN NO ONE HAD ONE. They know how to throw in features, this year (or next)expect a revamp of the iPhone because the control freak that was the head of iOS(scot forstall) has been fired and Jonathan ive the best designer in the world has taken over the iOS UI team.

Sadly, all of the silliness going on between OEM's trying to out do each other with Touchwiz and Sense features etc is doing little to combat the fun that Apple recently poked at Android about 50% of our phones are still running Gingerbread because of this. iOS is boring, but you'll still be able to get iOS8 and 9 on the iPhone 5 in 2015 without any jailbreak required. OEM android phones if this pattern continues (and it appears it will) have about a 1 year shelf life for official updates because they want you to keep buying newer hardware. They have a vested business interest in NOT keeping you at the most recent OS version. So your choice, if you care to be on the most recent OS is to a) buy a new phone once/year or b) root, unlock, and pray that the custom Android 6.0 ROM you're flashing isn't buggy (which they mostly are. most modders don't care and do it anyway)

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
It would seem that most of the haters like to post, so let me be different and say that I like the S4. Form factor, plastic and all. It will obviously sell millions to happy customers so the hates will be in the minority, or apple fanboys.

Stop the bloody generalization that there are only Apple fanboys you Samsung folk are no different!

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Sadly, all of the silliness going on between OEM's trying to out do each other with Touchwiz and Sense features etc is doing little to combat the fun that Apple recently poked at Android about 50% of our phones are still running Gingerbread because of this. iOS is boring, but you'll still be able to get iOS8 and 9 on the iPhone 5 in 2015 without any jailbreak required. OEM android phones if this pattern continues (and it appears it will) have about a 1 year shelf life for official updates because they want you to keep buying newer hardware. They have a vested business interest in NOT keeping you at the most recent OS version. So your choice, if you care to be on the most recent OS is to a) buy a new phone once/year or b) root, unlock, and pray that the custom Android 6.0 ROM you're flashing isn't buggy (which they mostly are. most modders don't care and do it anyway)

Hmmm I have a nexus 4 so I will still get updates but yeah that was a pretty big blow to Android.

CoolBeit

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
The Galaxy S3 isn't a bad phone either.

I'm not a Samsung fan and I can't really see myself buying one. That said, I have also been surprised by the amount of negativity surrounding the s4. I suspect it is due to a couple things:
1. HTC has done a great job paying off the major media outlets. Seriously. I've never seen many reviewers kissing htcs ***. And this is coming from someone who would make the HTC one my first choice if I was on a carrier contact.

2. The s3 is still a relevant phone. You could buy one right now and be happy with it for a year or more. It is disappointing when the next version of a phone barely improves on it. But in this case it's at least partly because the s3 is so solid.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
The Nexus 4 is cheap. It was designed to be a cheap, no frills phone. If the Nexus 4 didn't have pure vanilla Android with direct updates from Google, no power user would give the Nexus 4 a second look.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

That's all well and good (and true) but the fact of the matter is, it isn't "flawed".

Also, the two things I put in bold are what makes a nexus, a nexus. The phone would not exist without them. So your right, without them no one would give them a second look.

epicness4G

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Sense is too cluttered and the UI is far more "gimmicky".
I detested my HTC one X+ with a passion. My phone Is made of plastic who cares it still works. It's in an Otterbox case anyways.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

The Real X Dawg

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
"Samsung would've done would be called gimmicky or ripping off of the Note series."
The funny thing about that is.. Samsung created these phones.. Who cares if they take features from there own phones? lol People

The people who do care are the same people who try to find any reason to hate Samsung.

Sent from my Jelly Bean chomping Infuse 4G!

epicness4G

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
That's all well and good (and true) but the fact of the matter is, it isn't "flawed".

Also, the two things I put in bold are what makes a nexus, a nexus. The phone would not exist without them. So your right, without them no one would give them a second look.

The nexus 4 would be an LG Optimus G if it weren't a nexus :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

VSG28

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
The Nexus 4 is cheap. It was designed to be a cheap, no frills phone. If the Nexus 4 didn't have pure vanilla Android with direct updates from Google, no power user would give the Nexus 4 a second look.

Man I would love to have some of what you are smoking. The Nexus 4 is one of the best phones from 2012 is still a very good one.

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Well, you really didn't reply to my question. If two versions were offered I think most honest people would say that the SD card version would be the best seller. Therefore it isn't subjective at all. But let's use a real world example. Why does the S3 sell so well compared to the HTC's paltry numbers? One has a removable battery and SD card the other does not. And anyone with any sense knows no matter how big an advertising budget is a poor product will not sell in the millions. So please don't use that canard.

He probably didn't answer your question because it's irrelevant to my original post. It's irrelevant because it doesn't matter which one would sell better (I'm not disagreeing with you BTW, I do think the one with the slot would sell better). All that matters is that some people would pick the phone WITH an SD slot, and some people would pick the phone WITHOUT a slot. It's a matter of personal opinion or preference. AKA Subjective.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I don't hate Samsung, but the s4 seems like a lame update. I dunno what it is. I mean spec wise it's up there with the other flagships, but overall it just didn't seem like it was a big enough change. The biggest changes actually seemed like more Samsung bloat added to touchwiz. Thats the reason for the backlash. Kinda like the iphone 5, it's evolutionary, not revolutionary.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

omniusovermind

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Just teasing guys but I had to laugh at some of the pics people are posting in the comments section of the Verge's S4 articles lol.

36187968.jpg

tumblr_mjla2scrQ11ruglwyo1_400.gif

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site

I've been saying it since an iPhone 5 came into my house and I fooled around with it for the first time .... every Apple device will have a better Google experience than most Android phones if this fragmentation bull persists.

Google doesn't give a damn about platforms, like we do. Google voice search & response ... Google gave it to Apple. Turn-by-turn navigation ... Google gave it to Apple. He'll, I'll bet Google Now will be on iPhone this year, while most Android phones won't.

(and no ... don't tell me to buy a Nexus phone. Verizon has one, and they still figured out a way to interfere with that experience.)