Pricing finally leaving me behind?

rsmin

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
First let me say, I love my Note phone(s). I have had almost every Note since the Note 2. Every year I say I am not going to upgrade only to wind up upgrading. But for me it's finally coming to an end. I currently have the Note 10+ which is arguably one of the best phones of this past year. But for me with this pricing i have finally said I can't justify it any more. When i first bought my Note 2 back in November 2012 it was brand new with 2 gb ram, and 5.5 inch screen which was considered huge at the time on Jelly Bean (Android 4.1). Cost $299 brand new. I know everything is relative but i am hearing the Note 20 Ultra is around $1300. Even the base model is close to $1000. Every year it seems to jump another $100. Everything jumps every year so i understand it. It's demand.

Please note: I am not trying to be a bummer with this, i am just saying I am finally hanging up my Note hat and riding off into the sunset. I really am excited for those of you who are carrying on with the new Notes and I hope you get as excited as I did every year when upgrading. I will miss checking the Note forum as much as I used to but still may drop in on you guys from time to time. You really are a great bunch of people who have helped me so much with the in's and out's of the Note series. I especially remember the fun we had with the Note 7 phone. (Bought once, sent back twice, then settled on the S7)

May check back with you guys from time to time to see how you are liking the new phone.

Thanks to all of you for a great forum. It's been a blast.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
There's no need for you to go away. The Note 10+ is still a great phone, and there will be many people who will still be using it. Some people may even be new to the Note 10+, since getting last year's flagship is better than getting this year's midrange in many cases.

rsmin

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
There's no need for you to go away. The Note 10+ is still a great phone, and there will be many people who will still be using it. Some people may even be new to the Note 10+, since getting last year's flagship is better than getting this year's midrange in many cases.
Thanks Laura, you nay be right. The 10 is a great phone. I have loved everyone of them. Just sad watching these prices increase every year. Hard to understand because you can buy a quality laptop cheaper than these premium phones.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Laura, you nay be right. The 10 is a great phone. I have loved everyone of them. Just sad watching these prices increase every year. Hard to understand because you can buy a quality laptop cheaper than these premium phones.

I hear ya. If I wasn't such a Note addict, I would probably keep my 10+ longer because it's the most complete phone I've ever had and there are no problems with it. The phone could last a long while longer - it's a really great phone and will continue to be a great phone even after the Note 20 arrives. I've made it a habit to move to the new Note every year and as long as I can still "justify" it in my head, I'll do it. You're so right about the cost of the laptop... I justify it to myself by saying that I am on the phone a lot more than I am on any laptop/desktop or really any device. lol, don't know how long that'll last. Trade-ins make the less painful. I figure I'll get to my tipping point eventually. I mean, I can't imagine spending the money for the Galaxy Fold..... so, I still have a few iterations of the Note before I give in? lol

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm in complete agreement with you. I have actually myself been thinking the exact same. I don't mind Sorenson money, but for small changes, at premium prices, I no longer really look at the note(like yourself after my 10+), as a good value for my coins. The foldable phones are now catching my eye. They're just missing a pen.

But like the gentle lady stated, no reason to leave the forums. I also concur that, for the first time, there are more people like yourself and me, than not..

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
First let me say, I love my Note phone(s). I have had almost every Note since the Note 2. Every year I say I am not going to upgrade only to wind up upgrading. But for me it's finally coming to an end. I currently have the Note 10+ which is arguably one of the best phones of this past year. But for me with this pricing i have finally said I can't justify it any more. When i first bought my Note 2 back in November 2012 it was brand new with 2 gb ram, and 5.5 inch screen which was considered huge at the time on Jelly Bean (Android 4.1). Cost $299 brand new. I know everything is relative but i am hearing the Note 20 Ultra is around $1300. Even the base model is close to $1000. Every year it seems to jump another $100. Everything jumps every year so i understand it. It's demand.

Please note: I am not trying to be a bummer with this, i am just saying I am finally hanging up my Note hat and riding off into the sunset. I really am excited for those of you who are carrying on with the new Notes and I hope you get as excited as I did every year when upgrading. I will miss checking the Note forum as much as I used to but still may drop in on you guys from time to time. You really are a great bunch of people who have helped me so much with the in's and out's of the Note series. I especially remember the fun we had with the Note 7 phone. (Bought once, sent back twice, then settled on the S7)

May check back with you guys from time to time to see how you are liking the new phone.

Note 2 retail was nearly $800, the $299 was contract. I can't speak for all carriers but Verizon dropped the cost of service by $20/line when they did away with contracts. 2 year contract that's $480 that your paying monthly from the contract to save on the phone up front.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Note 2 retail was nearly $800, the $299 was contract. I can't speak for all carriers but Verizon dropped the cost of service by $20/line when they did away with contracts. 2 year contract that's $480 that your paying monthly from the contract to save on the phone up front.

Yeah, I remember buying my wife the iphone 5 at a reduced price through Verizon to find out later we were paying a much higher price for her line access fee then the lines on the phones I bought outright.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yeah, I remember buying my wife the iphone 5 at a reduced price through Verizon to find out later we were paying a much higher price for her line access fee then the lines on the phones I bought outright.
They gotta make that money some way

burrzoo

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking at a Fold 2 but doubtful that I'll part with my Note 10+. Thinking about trading in an S10e. Depending upon the N10+ trade in value, I could change my mind.
I'm a little underwhelmed with the Note 20 Ultra buy I would still consider it.
The Note 10+ has been one of the best phones ever for me.
The prices are going up every year & will probably continue if we keep buying them. I love being an early adopter but "you have to pay, to play!"

evohicks

May 25, 2015
Visit site

Yeah I'm feeling the same this time around, with the Note 10+ being such a good device I'm finding it hard this time, especially for the Exynos version.
The only thing I was looking forward to is the camera on the Note 20 ultra, after using the Huawei P40 Pro for a while its an awesome camera and the Note 20 ultra will be similar. The rest is just minor upgrades in my eyes which makes it a harder decision.

rsmin

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I hear ya. If I wasn't such a Note addict, I would probably keep my 10+ longer because it's the most complete phone I've ever had and there are no problems with it. The phone could last a long while longer - it's a really great phone and will continue to be a great phone even after the Note 20 arrives. I've made it a habit to move to the new Note every year and as long as I can still "justify" it in my head, I'll do it. You're so right about the cost of the laptop... I justify it to myself by saying that I am on the phone a lot more than I am on any laptop/desktop or really any device. lol, don't know how long that'll last. Trade-ins make the less painful. I figure I'll get to my tipping point eventually. I mean, I can't imagine spending the money for the Galaxy Fold..... so, I still have a few iterations of the Note before I give in? lol
I guess the timing is right for me. it hasn't helped that i have retired which limits my funds. You are correct about the trade in. In the last few years I have paid cash and the trade in helped a lot but with my wife now needing a phone things are being stretched a little. Anyway KupKrazy, i look forward to seeing what you think about the Note 20.

rsmin

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm in complete agreement with you. I have actually myself been thinking the exact same. I don't mind Sorenson money, but for small changes, at premium prices, I no longer really look at the note(like yourself after my 10+), as a good value for my coins. The foldable phones are now catching my eye. They're just missing a pen.

But like the gentle lady stated, no reason to leave the forums. I also concur that, for the first time, there are more people like yourself and me, than not..
MatroxD, Thanks.

rsmin

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
L0n3N1nja, You are correct. i stand corrected... Not only is my 66 year old wallet getting thinner but my memory as well! . It's amazing how the old days of buying a phone through contact made it "feel" as if you weren't spending as much money!!

rsmin

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Crazy.. It was hard to keep up with pricing back then. i am on TMobile now which is real simple. Flat fee. They have real good deal for seniors. 2 lines, unlimited calls, text, data for $70/month. Period. nothing added. I like not seeing all the added cost. My Verizon bill used to have all these added items on the bill. Didn't know why half of them were there.

rsmin

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking at a Fold 2 but doubtful that I'll part with my Note 10+. Thinking about trading in an S10e. Depending upon the N10+ trade in value, I could change my mind.
I'm a little underwhelmed with the Note 20 Ultra buy I would still consider it.
The Note 10+ has been one of the best phones ever for me.
The prices are going up every year & will probably continue if we keep buying them. I love being an early adopter but "you have to pay, to play!"
burrzoo, I guess i am glad the original fold didn't have the spen for i would have tried everything i could to buy it. I love the concept of the fold phones especially since my eyes are getting "older" but wasn't an option because of no spen which is what has kept me with the Note series so long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter