Pricing finally leaving me behind?

adegbenroagoro

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
First let me say, I love my Note phone(s). I have had almost every Note since the Note 2. Every year I say I am not going to upgrade only to wind up upgrading. But for me it's finally coming to an end. I currently have the Note 10+ which is arguably one of the best phones of this past year. But for me with this pricing i have finally said I can't justify it any more. When i first bought my Note 2 back in November 2012 it was brand new with 2 gb ram, and 5.5 inch screen which was considered huge at the time on Jelly Bean (Android 4.1). Cost $299 brand new. I know everything is relative but i am hearing the Note 20 Ultra is around $1300. Even the base model is close to $1000. Every year it seems to jump another $100. Everything jumps every year so i understand it. It's demand.

Please note: I am not trying to be a bummer with this, i am just saying I am finally hanging up my Note hat and riding off into the sunset. I really am excited for those of you who are carrying on with the new Notes and I hope you get as excited as I did every year when upgrading. I will miss checking the Note forum as much as I used to but still may drop in on you guys from time to time. You really are a great bunch of people who have helped me so much with the in's and out's of the Note series. I especially remember the fun we had with the Note 7 phone. (Bought once, sent back twice, then settled on the S7)

May check back with you guys from time to time to see how you are liking the new phone.

Thanks to all of you for a great forum. It's been a blast.

I just got bored of tiny incremental changes and decided to stick with my Note 10 Plus until the Note 21 Ultra comes out. I still check Note 10 Plus threads everyday. I always pay cash. Instead of riding of into the sunset why not shift over to a 2 year buying cycle. It will be easier on your pocket. Whenever you buy a new phone you'll appreciate the improvements more? 🙂

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I personally agree that the prices for Flagship Smartphones have gotten out of hand.

I was lucky enough to have my father purchase my current S10+ as a birthday gift . With the 512 GB storage space, of course, I am planning on keeping this phone for a few years if at all possible, especially with the current prices of Flagship Smartphones

That's a really awesome present! And those prices we are already shaking our heads at will just keep climbing up... Very sad! Especially for us phone enthusiasts. :(

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
I just got bored of tiny incremental changes and decided to stick with my Note 10 Plus until the Note 21 Ultra comes out.

Tiny incremental changes have been around starting in 2017 with the S8 and Note 8 series. The Note 10+ should be more than good enough until the Note 22. And even then, by looking at the renders of the Note 21, it's probably not gonna be much different from it (and therefore from the 10+ as well).

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I personally agree that the prices for Flagship Smartphones have gotten out of hand.

I was lucky enough to have my father purchase my current S10+ as a birthday gift . With the 512 GB storage space, of course, I am planning on keeping this phone for a few years if at all possible, especially with the current prices of Flagship Smartphones
That's such a great gift from your dad. I'm the same as you in terms of getting a flagship device and keeping it as long as it still works well, rather than upgrading every year.

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
Since I have the
note 10 + and the s20 ultra I will get the Fold 2 and roll the dice on next year's Note series.

My note 10 plus is immaculate and runs smoothly. My s20 Ultra inherited from my daughter is a very good phone. This will be my bargaining chip for the Fold 2 if Sams taking trade up deals.

The Note 10 plus has been excellent phone.
I've upgraded every year to the next note. If I don't like Sam's offers. I'll wait until price drops. No rush though.

Remember the lag days and you couldn't wait to upgrade? Now you just do it just to get some of the new camera upgrades and speed increase.

5g is still a long way off and according to Sprint-Tmobile My s20 Ultra is a capable of latching on to it when ready.

Hope everything works out for everyone.
God bless and be safe

Bodestone

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I started at the original Note. In fact it was my first Android from the Nokia N900.
Since then I have moved to the 2 (a year after release), 3 (2 and a half years later) and 4 (3 years after that due to water damage in the 3).
The Note series of phones has been a great, and long lived workhorse series of phones for me.

In those previous models there was great inovation and increase in speed, power, functionality and battery technology which had slowed and also Samsung started messing with the things we loved. No SD Card, No removable battery (OK, now a norm for IP rating and not a problem with improved tech and OS monitoring).
I could not go for a 5 and loose expandable storage, there was no 6, I am thankful I shied from the fixed battery exploding 7.
In fact the 7 had already failed when I migrated from the 3 to the 4.

Then came the 8. It was leagues ahead of anything in the Note range yet. The cameras were awesome. The processors ran like greased weasel sh*t. The battery was as good as ever but Android had eveloved so much more that management was so much better without the need for 3rd party care apps. Took a while to get used to the loss of physical buttons on the bottom.

I was quite prepared to wait until the next after the 10/10+ as the 8 was awesome. Unfortunately I had slightly botched the rooting and could not get OTAs and every reading I did suggested I had a good chance of bricking the 8 if I tried to bring it past Android 8 on a Samsung ROM so despite the £1000 price tag I went for the 10+ (4g to retain MicroSD and full coverage 5g is a way off anyway). I'd had the 8 for well over 2 years.
I can say that this is a phone I could run for 3 years minimum without being tempted to the next.

The button/pen side swap on the 20 is a massive turn off for me anyway. If you look at camera orientation for Samsung (horizontal/vertical alternations) then I guess this is just another "release it and get the feedback, the fans will buy" deal.

So. I'll wait a year or two and see what is next. Also I might need to replace my combi boiler which will put pay to any tech upgrades at all for a while.

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
I hear ya. If I wasn't such a Note addict, I would probably keep my 10+ longer because it's the most complete phone I've ever had and there are no problems with it. The phone could last a long while longer - it's a really great phone and will continue to be a great phone even after the Note 20 arrives. I've made it a habit to move to the new Note every year and as long as I can still "justify" it in my head, I'll do it. You're so right about the cost of the laptop... I justify it to myself by saying that I am on the phone a lot more than I am on any laptop/desktop or really any device. lol, don't know how long that'll last. Trade-ins make the less painful. I figure I'll get to my tipping point eventually. I mean, I can't imagine spending the money for the Galaxy Fold..... so, I still have a few iterations of the Note before I give in? lol

Wow ditto!!!
Except I'm going to get the Fold 2 as well.
Just can't pass it up this time. 👍

rsmin

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I just got bored of tiny incremental changes and decided to stick with my Note 10 Plus until the Note 21 Ultra comes out. I still check Note 10 Plus threads everyday. I always pay cash. Instead of riding of into the sunset why not shift over to a 2 year buying cycle. It will be easier on your pocket. Whenever you buy a new phone you'll appreciate the improvements more?
Thanks for the suggestion. I may have to stretch out more than two or go until it just gives out. i think i got spoiled always upgrading every year before retiring! I will say Samsung has lately paid pretty good for trade ins as well.

rsmin

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Wow ditto!!!
Except I'm going to get the Fold 2 as well.
Just can't pass it up this time.
I don't blame you there. If i could justify it i would definitely get the new fold 2. With my older eyes that would be perfect. I Will jump on that forum and see how you like it when you get it. Keep us posted.

rsmin

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I started at the original Note. In fact it was my first Android from the Nokia N900.
Since then I have moved to the 2 (a year after release), 3 (2 and a half years later) and 4 (3 years after that due to water damage in the 3).
The Note series of phones has been a great, and long lived workhorse series of phones for me.

In those previous models there was great inovation and increase in speed, power, functionality and battery technology which had slowed and also Samsung started messing with the things we loved. No SD Card, No removable battery (OK, now a norm for IP rating and not a problem with improved tech and OS monitoring).
I could not go for a 5 and loose expandable storage, there was no 6, I am thankful I shied from the fixed battery exploding 7.
In fact the 7 had already failed when I migrated from the 3 to the 4.

Then came the 8. It was leagues ahead of anything in the Note range yet. The cameras were awesome. The processors ran like greased weasel sh*t. The battery was as good as ever but Android had eveloved so much more that management was so much better without the need for 3rd party care apps. Took a while to get used to the loss of physical buttons on the bottom.

I was quite prepared to wait until the next after the 10/10+ as the 8 was awesome. Unfortunately I had slightly botched the rooting and could not get OTAs and every reading I did suggested I had a good chance of bricking the 8 if I tried to bring it past Android 8 on a Samsung ROM so despite the £1000 price tag I went for the 10+ (4g to retain MicroSD and full coverage 5g is a way off anyway). I'd had the 8 for well over 2 years.
I can say that this is a phone I could run for 3 years minimum without being tempted to the next.

The button/pen side swap on the 20 is a massive turn off for me anyway. If you look at camera orientation for Samsung (horizontal/vertical alternations) then I guess this is just another "release it and get the feedback, the fans will buy" deal.

So. I'll wait a year or two and see what is next. Also I might need to replace my combi boiler which will put pay to any tech upgrades at all for a while.
It sounds like you have a good plan... Those early years of the Note series were really amazing with all the changes coming each year.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I also had the Note 2 phone. The first original Note phone never took off it seemed...it was too advanced for its time. But the 2nd version was the start of large phones. It was a blast having my friends and coworkers stare at amazement at the large screen Note 2 phone cuz it was a novelty back then. Fast forward to now, it's more like ho-hum...another large phone...for how much?!? At $1,300 I'd rather buy a decent laptop. I love laptops...bought 4 different laptops in the past 2 years for different uses (Asus, Lenovo, Dell, Microsoft). I'm also happy with my Note 10+ phone, I don't see myself getting another new phone for some time. I had my Note 3 phone for literally 5 years until I killed it from over-use. The Note 3 battery literally expanded from the heat build-up and cause the screen to lift up from the casing on both sides of the phone. I really don't see what's so extra special about a Note 20 phone...except maybe the flat screen on the Ultra model...even then, it's not really that special, just retro. I think the only next big thing for me is 5G signal, assuming that it's actually a viable thing in my area which I don't think it is yet. So I'm keeping my Note 10+ phone, no need for an incremental spec bump.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
I had my Note 3 phone for literally 5 years until I killed it from over-use. The Note 3 battery literally expanded from the heat build-up and cause the screen to lift up from the casing on both sides of the phone

I would have thought that it would be the removable back cover that would lift off instead of the screen lol

rsmin

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Casey,

Casey, totally agree with what you said about Note 2 and 10+
I also had the Note 2 phone. The first original Note phone never took off it seemed...it was too advanced for its time. But the 2nd version was the start of large phones. It was a blast having my friends and coworkers stare at amazement at the large screen Note 2 phone cuz it was a novelty back then. Fast forward to now, it's more like ho-hum...another large phone...for how much?!? At $1,300 I'd rather buy a decent laptop. I love laptops...bought 4 different laptops in the past 2 years for different uses (Asus, Lenovo, Dell, Microsoft). I'm also happy with my Note 10+ phone, I don't see myself getting another new phone for some time. I had my Note 3 phone for literally 5 years until I killed it from over-use. The Note 3 battery literally expanded from the heat build-up and cause the screen to lift up from the casing on both sides of the phone. I really don't see what's so extra special about a Note 20 phone...except maybe the flat screen on the Ultra model...even then, it's not really that special, just retro. I think the only next big thing for me is 5G signal, assuming that it's actually a viable thing in my area which I don't think it is yet. So I'm keeping my Note 10+ phone, no need for an incremental spec bump.

evohicks

May 25, 2015
Visit site
Yeah if you can get a cheap sim only deal I think it's the cheapest way using the upgrade programme, but even if you don't upgrade next year it's still 0% APR so an easy way of paying if you don't want to pay outright.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter