Pricing finally leaving me behind?

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
When I upgraded from N9 to N10+ last summer, the trade-in was 55% off, plus $200 of useful accessories, so trading up to a new $1100 phone effectively cost $300. I'm hoping for a similar deal this time around; the N10+ is great, but I'm really eager to have a phone camera with 5x optical zoom. Still, the base price is getting high enough that even with the discounts, it's a lot to pay each year.

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Figure $1700 for the fully-loaded Note20 Ultra. Found this online just now.

#OUCH But I'm sure once it's released and it's so pretty and we see the reviewers' demos of all the bells and whistles, and Samsung's (hopefully) awesome trade in deals... We'll justify the price somehow. I know I will.

Nostromo79

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
#OUCH But I'm sure once it's released and it's so pretty and we see the reviewers' demos of all the bells and whistles, and Samsung's (hopefully) awesome trade in deals... We'll justify the price somehow. I know I will.

I hope that I don't see that it's only got a 4500 mAh battery; fancy energy saving screen and scalable refresh rate notwithstanding.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
You do not have to leave! Your phone is awesome and there is so much activity in the Note forums that you'll still have fun!

I agree with you about the pricing of phones nowadays. I'm getting to the point where I just can't justify upgrading to particular flagships. It's getting harder and harder to shell out those dollars. And when mid-range phones get the job done just as easily as flagships - well...

Anyway, hope to still see you around the forums! :)

rsmin

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
You do not have to leave! Your phone is awesome and there is so much activity in the Note forums that you'll still have fun!

I agree with you about the pricing of phones nowadays. I'm getting to the point where I just can't justify upgrading to particular flagships. It's getting harder and harder to shell out those dollars. And when mid-range phones get the job done just as easily as flagships - well...

Anyway, hope to still see you around the forums! :)
Morty2264, Thanks. I may have to, I enjoy the people and discussions on here.

tmv

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
First let me say, I love my Note phone(s). I have had almost every Note since the Note 2. Every year I say I am not going to upgrade only to wind up upgrading. But for me it's finally coming to an end. I currently have the Note 10+ which is arguably one of the best phones of this past year. But for me with this pricing i have finally said I can't justify it any more. When i first bought my Note 2 back in November 2012 it was brand new with 2 gb ram, and 5.5 inch screen which was considered huge at the time on Jelly Bean (Android 4.1). Cost $299 brand new. I know everything is relative but i am hearing the Note 20 Ultra is around $1300. Even the base model is close to $1000. Every year it seems to jump another $100. Everything jumps every year so i understand it. It's demand.

Please note: I am not trying to be a bummer with this, i am just saying I am finally hanging up my Note hat and riding off into the sunset. I really am excited for those of you who are carrying on with the new Notes and I hope you get as excited as I did every year when upgrading. I will miss checking the Note forum as much as I used to but still may drop in on you guys from time to time. You really are a great bunch of people who have helped me so much with the in's and out's of the Note series. I especially remember the fun we had with the Note 7 phone. (Bought once, sent back twice, then settled on the S7)

May check back with you guys from time to time to see how you are liking the new phone.

Thanks to all of you for a great forum. It's been a blast.

I've been on the note bandwagon since the note 3 when everyone was saying it is such a big phone. Now it is the norm. Note 10+ is probably my favorite of all time. Unfortunately with the disturbing trend of the galaxy s20 line and their eye water prices of over $1000+ I'll probably sit this one out.

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
I'd never buy the reg Note 20. The ultra needs to be $1200 or under to be considered at this point. If the current rumors are true, it far exceeds the price of the S20 Ultra. I wouldn't pay $1400 for a phone. OnePlus 8 Pro is $900-$1000, depending on the storage. Apple is releasing 4 iPhone models starting around $750 & has 3 sizes to choose from. Too many compelling choices to pay more than a grand, which is what I got my Note 9 for & it still works great.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
First let me say, I love my Note phone(s). I have had almost every Note since the Note 2. Every year I say I am not going to upgrade only to wind up upgrading. But for me it's finally coming to an end. I currently have the Note 10+ which is arguably one of the best phones of this past year. But for me with this pricing i have finally said I can't justify it any more. When i first bought my Note 2 back in November 2012 it was brand new with 2 gb ram, and 5.5 inch screen which was considered huge at the time on Jelly Bean (Android 4.1). Cost $299 brand new. I know everything is relative but i am hearing the Note 20 Ultra is around $1300. Even the base model is close to $1000. Every year it seems to jump another $100. Everything jumps every year so i understand it. It's demand.

Please note: I am not trying to be a bummer with this, i am just saying I am finally hanging up my Note hat and riding off into the sunset. I really am excited for those of you who are carrying on with the new Notes and I hope you get as excited as I did every year when upgrading. I will miss checking the Note forum as much as I used to but still may drop in on you guys from time to time. You really are a great bunch of people who have helped me so much with the in's and out's of the Note series. I especially remember the fun we had with the Note 7 phone. (Bought once, sent back twice, then settled on the S7)

May check back with you guys from time to time to see how you are liking the new phone.

Thanks to all of you for a great forum. It's been a blast.
I am very happy with my Note 10+ and have zero plans to upgrade. I don't see anything in the Note 20s that would improve my mobile experience. I stated Notes with the Note 4 phone and before that with the Note 8 tablet. I am a big SPen user. I generally upgrade every 2 or 3 years. My previous Note was the 8 and too be honest, I would probably be happy with the 8 if still had the phone. The only thing I don't like about my phone is the curved screen. Adds no value, actually find it makes the phone harder to use.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
It's not just the pricing, but also that the iterations are getting less and less significant with each new release.

Of course the Note 10/10+ are still perfectly good for a few years.

Someone that has a Note 8 or older may want the 20 though

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Pricing for the Note 20 Ultra 512gb 5G looks to be 1449 Euro here, that's 130 quid less than the S20 Ultra 512gb was.
If they throw in the beans it's almost ok...

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Also worth noting, since 2012 there's been a 12.3% inflation. So $800 in 2012 when the Note 2 launched would be $898 in 2020.

Throw in the fact they keep rapidly ramping up specs, giving us larger displays, and the new trend of multiple cameras and costs go up. The camera is the most expensive component on the S20 Ultra for Samsung.

I think flagships are expensive, they definitely push the boundaries of what someone is willing to spend on a phone, but luckily we've been giving significantly better low end phones than we had been in the past. There is no need for a flagship anymore, it's a luxury item, and I too have quit buying phones as frequently as I used to for this reason.

wbcolon

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Keep in mind that launch prices are extremely outrageous, but wait for a holiday, Amazon deal of the day or 3-4 months after launch and you could automatically save about 5-600 off launch price. I picked up a brand new, unlocked by Samsung 512 for 700 last month. I couldn’t touch the s20 plus 128 yet for that price.

kct1975

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I personally agree that the prices for Flagship Smartphones have gotten out of hand.

I was lucky enough to have my father purchase my current S10+ as a birthday gift . With the 512 GB storage space, of course, I am planning on keeping this phone for a few years if at all possible, especially with the current prices of Flagship Smartphones

burwil

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
It's not that expensive... 999 euros is 1173 USD. That's the base model. Two years ago I bought the iPhone Max for 1250 USD. It had more memory but I'm not even using 100 GB in my Note 10+. That said I don't see a reason to upgrade this time despite getting a new phone every year. This is the best phone ever IMO. And Samsung really isn't giving us new toys to tempt most for an upgrade. But if you have the extra cash floating around why not.