Why so much hate?

phonejunky

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I find it humorous, ignorant and hypocritical when people keep throwing the word "innovation" around when talking about what they want mobile companies to do with future smartphones, but it's mostly only when Samsung tries new things (and they do more than any other company, except for maybe HTC) that people always refer to them as gimmicks without even trying them out.

Totally understand. I'm just telling the op the feeling I'm getting and what I'm reading from around the community.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Totally understand. I'm just telling the op the feeling I'm getting and what I'm reading from around the community.

And that's what I say to the community: quit being ignorant, and quit asking for innovation and then pass off all of Samsung's efforts at doing something new as gimmicky just cause it's Samsung (which most people do), especially when the only device that can do those things isn't even out yet.

phonejunky

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I guess. Doesn't really matter what the community thinks they aren't the ones pushing sales anyway.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I guess. Doesn't really matter what the community thinks they aren't the ones pushing sales anyway.

If they're gonna play stupid, then no it doesn't matter what they think. I've just lost about 98% of my faith in the masses over the last few years. Anyway, moving on.

omniusovermind

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
My upgrade is a logical one, I hate the Lumia 920, but love WP8 even though Microsoft hinders devices with it. The Ativ S didnt come out in the US, and I have an upgrade... Might as well get the S4!

I would jump ship to wp8 in a heartbeat if they fixed a few things that would bother me too much because it's a damn fast OS and I kinda like the whole UI appearance, the MS ecosystem. But the notification system is far poorer than jelly bean's and using Xbox music to manage music sucks terribly. No file management either.

Podunks

Banned
Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I would jump ship to wp8 in a heartbeat if they fixed a few things that would bother me too much because it's a damn fast OS and I kinda like the whole UI appearance, the MS ecosystem. But the notification system is far poorer than jelly bean's and using Xbox music to manage music sucks terribly. No file management either.

I only put pictures to the analogy already posted, showing it in light of my favor...

I find it humorous, ignorant and hypocritical when people keep throwing the word "innovation" around when talking about what they want mobile companies to do with future smartphones, but it's mostly only when Samsung tries new things (and they do more than any other company, except for maybe HTC) that people always refer to them as gimmicks without even trying them out.

Agreed.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I believe everyone feels Samsung was lazy. They pulled an Apple by not doing what people expect from Android manufacturers, and make something new and cutting edge not just for software but hardware as well. Also a lot of tech journalist and Android fans alike are mad that Samsung pretty much dissed Google by not even mentioning them. Finally a lot of the features seem gimmicky.

Curious, how much did HTC mention Google during the One presentation?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Curious, how much did HTC mention Google during the One presentation?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

I'm not sure it's in their best interest to push Google... HTC and Sammy both make WP8 devices too. I'd love for them to come out from a philosophical standpoint arguing the merits of Android and their interpretation of it being expounded upon by improvements to Google's genius... but that makes them sound like they stand on the shoulders of giants, rather than at peer level.

croppz

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Why do you refuse to believe this? They have basically the same hardware but the processor in the S4 is clocked at 200 Mhz higher (1.9Ghz vs. 1.7 Ghz).

Has anyone run comparative benchmarks on them? I haven't seen any. If not, there are no facts to back up anyones opinion as to actual, useable speed. My money says they will both be frikkin' fast.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Why do you refuse to believe this? They have basically the same hardware but the processor in the S4 is clocked at 200 Mhz higher (1.9Ghz vs. 1.7 Ghz).
Cause it's a Samsung product and he just universally hates everything Samsung. Honestly though whether or not the S4 beats the One will vary from person to person, that's it.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
So anyway my "hate" is gone. Yeah the presentation was terrible and at a glance it seems like a minor update. But reality is its a major update and it is superior to the gs3. A couple thoughts.

*cheap plastic - everyone harps on this too much. Samsung phones may appear cheap, but they are tough as nails, I've typically gone longer with them without making a warranty claim then any other manufacturer. Also it's made out of polycarbonate, the same material used to make the "not so cheap" One X. The cheapness notion might come more from the fact it's battery is removable, but wouldn't we all rather have a removable battery?

*Updates. Samsung does it better than the rest, but still this is something that your going to deal with with all oems, however at least Samsung makes it easy to go stock Android yourself, vs others like the nightmare that is htc. Otherwise if your worried about KLP, get a nexus!

*skins as we call them. Samsungs touchwiz has come along way and it's very nice. Overall if you don't wanna deal with that stuff, again get a nexus. Otherwise don't complain, because it's pointless. It's been said a million times, but before you purchase a phone, make sure you go with the intent of buying a said model for what it is, not what it might be.

Podunks

Banned
Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
So anyway my "hate" is gone. Yeah the presentation was terrible and at a glance it seems like a minor update. But reality is its a major update and it is superior to the gs3. A couple thoughts.

*cheap plastic - everyone harps on this too much. Samsung phones may appear cheap, but they are tough as nails, I've typically gone longer with them without making a warranty claim then any other manufacturer. Also it's made out of polycarbonate, the same material used to make the "not so cheap" One X. The cheapness notion might come more from the fact it's battery is removable, but wouldn't we all rather have a removable battery?

*Updates. Samsung does it better than the rest, but still this is something that your going to deal with with all oems, however at least Samsung makes it easy to go stock Android yourself, vs others like the nightmare that is htc. Otherwise if your worried about KLP, get a nexus!

Spot on, I find the cheap* complaints silly. My Samsung Focus is the same, and have lasted through quite a few big drops over the last year and a half/2 years..

With that Cheap* poly-carbonate, you get a reduced weight... HTC One - 5oz, S4 - 4.59oz...

Also, the software updates, look fantastic!! This idea that they are gimmicky is funny.... As that seems to be an excuse to hate on the S4. Other than main applications such as email, etc. Arnt all software updates, gimmicky? Yet people only whine now....

I would stick with it, if I was not limited to the teeth by Microsoft... Really though, no file management, or browsers. Developers are held back by Microsoft's rules. They wont even let devs have access to some hardware like internal compass, etc.

Otherwise, I looove WP8! But its just not mature enough yet.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone run comparative benchmarks on them? I haven't seen any. If not, there are no facts to back up anyones opinion as to actual, useable speed. My money says they will both be frikkin' fast.

GeekBenmark_results.jpg

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo