S4 outselling One by alot

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site
It took nearly 6 months i got my rezound in January and it was released in November,if you are saying the ICS update.and i was pleased with the phone for that time,until November 2012 when i walked into the Verizon store to pay a bill,and seen the DNA played with it,and wound up adding a line and walking out with it,still no regrets,serves me well,i still use the rezound for my computer repair business,for customer phone calls and texts and my DNA for everything else.

I got mine in Nov in fact Black Friday through Costco. 6 months for you but 9 for me but yet was promised that it would be the first phone to get it(early 2012).. Yet phones that came out at the same time had it months before. HTC even release the RUU 1 month before Verizon did. The fact is that HTC or Verizon suck at updates and do not get them done in a timely fashion.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
He said he went to 2 stores. Both had HTC islands. Both sold out of the S4 on launch day. Both had HTC One in stock.

Yep, definitely a bunch of nonsensical opinions and nothing even close to facts. I can't believe someone would come on here and blatantly trash one device over another in such a way. I would NEVER believe that both locations had HTC Islands set up, and even if they did....that's just his opinion.

You're right. It's so impossible that AT&T would market this phone. And they lied about having phones in stock and not in stock because they could care less about selling them. Also the best selling phones are the best phones and anyone who says a phone sold out and the other is in stock is automatically infering superiority to the phone that sold out.

Did I get it right?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I still think that the average consumer doesn't really care about OS updates. If the phone does what they want when they get it they're happy.

Major OS updates are double-edged swords. If it goes really well and doesn't cause any issues, adds features, and/or makes the phone faster (Jelly Bean on pretty much everything made them faster) then it's a win. If the update comes out and causes issues, or introduces more bugs (hasn't this happened to every manufacturer at some point in time?) then people will hate it.

It really depends on how well the update is done I think. That, and if there aren't any new user-facing features I'm not sure most people would even notice they got an update.

And, of course, security patches are an entirely different matter. Those should be mandatory.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I still think that the average consumer doesn't really care about OS updates. If the phone does what they want when they get it they're happy.

Major OS updates are double-edged swords. If it goes really well and doesn't cause any issues, adds features, and/or makes the phone faster (Jelly Bean on pretty much everything made them faster) then it's a win. If the update comes out and causes issues, or introduces more bugs (hasn't this happened to every manufacturer at some point in time?) then people will hate it.

It really depends on how well the update is done I think. That, and if there aren't any new user-facing features I'm not sure most people would even notice they got an update.

And, of course, security patches are an entirely different matter. Those should be mandatory.

The average consumer doesn't care about half the things that are being complained about, but we discuss it anyways. As long as HTC commits to the One, I think you'll see a difference in their ability to update. If I were them, I'd create a marketing campaign around the fact that almost every tech site around has compared it favorably to the S4 instead of touting their "BoomSound" speakers when, as impressive as they are, people typically use headphones on their mobile devices.

Then again, the average consumer doesn't worry about a design being similiar to the model prior, doesn't notice the occasional stutter, and doesn't seem to be worried about the aesthetics of the UI, so maybe that wouldn't be such a good idea.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The average consumer doesn't care about half the things that are being complained about, but we discuss it anyways. As long as HTC commits to the One, I think you'll see a difference in their ability to update. If I were them, I'd create a marketing campaign around the fact that almost every tech site around has compared it favorably to the S4 instead of touting their "BoomSound" speakers when, as impressive as they are, people typically use headphones on their mobile devices.

Then again, the average consumer doesn't worry about a design being similiar to the model prior, doesn't notice the occasional stutter, and doesn't seem to be worried about the aesthetics of the UI, so maybe that wouldn't be such a good idea.

Way to ignore the rest of my comment entirely. :)

If we're going to talk about what HTC should market, and this is just an opinion, it's Zoe's and Highlights. Everybody that I've shown them to has been really impressed. Gimmick or not.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

If we're going to talk about what HTC should market, and this is just an opinion, it's Zoe's and Highlights. Everybody that I've shown them to has been really impressed. Gimmick or not.

Oh, I thought "As long as HTC commits to the One, I think you'll see a difference in their ability to update" kind of summed up my thoughts on that. As far as Zoe and Highlights are concerned, that would easily be a better choice than BoomSound. Although I really can't say if they will do anything else at this point, HTC seems dead set on marketing their devices to audiophiles. I remember the Rezound commercials pretty vivdly. Not entirely sure how that device faired, but I'd guess not too well.

But the speakers are on the -front- this time, so all bets are off.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
It's not surprising the S4 is selling more simply because of the Galaxy name that people are used to now, though it should be reminded that that was not always the case. But what this story leaves out of the picture is the really important part: how well is the S4 selling compared to the comparable timeframe during the s3's launch? I would be interested to know if the HTC One is putting a dent in S4 sales, if even a little.

I think HTC could really have an impact if they would advertise more and show off the unique features of their device more. As for those who pan the lack of removable SDCard and battery, it seems like more and more phones are leaning that way. If the entire industry goes that way at some point, which I believe it will as SD card tech isn't going to be supported forever, will everyone stop buying new phones? No. As for the slams against the One's camera that some want to do, if you look through many of the examples posted in the One forum here, you'll see lots of really amazing photos and video posted proving the HTC is more then up to the task. So I think when everything is looked at objectively, the HTC has a lot of potential sales, if they can just get the word out better. Not sure what they are doing with Verizon at this point, but I will say these exclusive deals with carriers (64gb only to AT&T) don't help sales any. It just creates confusion in the marketplace which is the last thing they need.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Oh, I thought "As long as HTC commits to the One, I think you'll see a difference in their ability to update" kind of summed up my thoughts on that. As far as Zoe and Highlights are concerned, that would easily be a better choice than BoomSound. Although I really can't say if they will do anything else at this point, HTC seems dead set on marketing their devices to audiophiles. I remember the Rezound commercials pretty vivdly. Not entirely sure how that device faired, but I'd guess not too well.

But the speakers are on the -front- this time, so all bets are off.

Kind of sad, too, because Beats is NOT synonymous with audiophile sound.

The Rezound didn't do all that well. It got trampled by the RAZR and Galaxy Nexus. At least that's my guess.

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

I don't usually come around these parts anymore, I'll admit I've been run off by all the trolling and bickering by grown adults that's been going on. But this post was enough for me to log in and say what's quoted above is one of the more moronic things I've read on this particular website. You better believe people care about updates, average or advanced consumers. It's one of the reasons why people like Apple, because their device will be supported guaranteed. It's also one of the reasons Samsung is at the top because of their timely updates. It's also why no one bought HTC phones before this year, and why HTC is telling everyone it can that's interested in the One that it'll be supported. It's also been rumored why Google is apparently releasing a 4.3 before the usual jump so that OEMs catch up. Fragmentation is not fiction, it's a fact.

Do average people know when the OS is typically unveiled and the ins and outs of it? Probably not. Would those same people knowingly buy a device knowing it will never get an update? Hell no. It's kind of implied when people shell out large amounts of money to buy off contract or sign their names on 2 yr. contracts that they expect what they're buying to get support, and rightfully so. Otherwise, if people didn't care then HTC wouldn't be in the mess it's in right now. You better believe if the One doesn't get updated that no one will buy from HTC again. Not after all the promises of updates and vibes of righting the ship that they've given off.

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
All i say is To each their own. I dont think one phone is any better than the other. It's all personal preference , I choose Htc cuz thats what i like. I don't need the features that Samsung comes ..some do. But i'm not going to knock it just because i don't use it.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

Agreed, all the marketing I've seen seems geared towards the late teens early 20s crowd, which is quite a gamble considering the lack of disposable income that age bracket has.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Agreed, all the marketing I've seen seems geared towards the late teens early 20s crowd, which is quite a gamble considering the lack of disposable income that age bracket has.

That's a very good point. I agree with Kevin, HTC should focus on Zoe/Highlights, as well as the aluminum build quality. As said before, HTC needs a significant marketing push in order to "bounce back" this year. I'm not talking about selling numbers equal to the S4, but rather just enough to steal a bit of the spotlight from Samsung.

Competition is good, and Samsung could use a bit more of it. Everybody wins when manufacturers compete, not overshadow.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
That's a very good point. I agree with Kevin, HTC should focus on Zoe/Highlights, as well as the aluminum build quality. As said before, HTC needs a significant marketing push in order to "bounce back" this year. I'm not talking about selling numbers equal to the S4, but rather just enough to steal a bit of the spotlight from Samsung.

Competition is good, and Samsung could use a bit more of it. Everybody wins when manufacturers compete, not overshadow.

I think they will sell enough One's to survive as a viable manufacturer. HOWEVER, I don't see them stealing any spotlight from Samsung. 2012 absolutely killed HTC. They came out with sub-par phones, horrible marketing at a time when Sammy pushed all the right buttons and Apple was, well Apple. That management team should have been cast aside.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
2012 I bought the best cell phone I ever bought. HTC Evo lte. Still a great phone

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

SoCalBIGmike

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
I have dead pixels in my AT&T ONE. Its just a mess. My BlackBerry Z10 on T-Mobile has had issues though too & had to be swapped out. I think its just new hardware across ALL platforms...

LindtChocolate

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
^ dead pixels? Haven't seen many complaints about that on the One or Z10.

As far as this thread goes, it shouldn't surprise anyone. I have the HTC One for my own personal reasons (low-light pictures, smaller display with higher pixel density, front facing speakers, etc) but I can see with my own eyes that they have been sub-par with the marketing. Their commercials show nothing off except front-facing speakers and metal and offer nothing memorable, unlike Samsung's commercials where we can identify with the humor against Apple phones. HTC simply does not have the money and reach of Samsung. Between the marketing, Verizon not picking up the One, all the carriers Samsung offers to, and Samsung paying off some reviewers, who would ever think the One could keep up? However, I think the One is a fantastic start and could be a great lift for HTC. If HTC keep pumping out phones of this quality, maybe get into tablets and other devices, then they can start competing.

Jaimeg123prmt

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Been with htc since the mogul, was going to get the one. But 4mp camera, i know it's not all about mp but come on, 4mp is way too low, no sd card, no removable battery (at least the evo lte was easy to get to the battery, the one is horrible) and htc is getting bad with updates.

So got the s4 instead and loving it. I actually prefer plastic over metal. The evo lte was always sucking water out of my hands and was always too cold or too hot

Sent from my Galaxy S4
I bought the One, and after about a week,I returned it back to the store. I'm just going hang on to the s3 for a while.

Clashman

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Globally HTC's biggest problem is still supply, (ok, marketing too). They are probably doing better in the U.S. because they are allocating all their resources to it, but even there, there is a 2-4 week wait for the unlocked version. In Europe, very few retailers have the One in-stock, and in Asia stock is just starting to arrive in trickles. By comparison, Samsung has flooded the market and there is no difficulty securing units. Simply by being everywhere at once with no supply issues, Samsung should be running away with any sales contest.