Galaxy s4 sd card can't be used to store apps

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: Galaxy s4 sd card, a fraud?

I agree with the op here, Samsung misled it's customers! No phone in this day and age should be less than 32 gb!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Wow... if you don't mind me asking, what kind of app is that ???

Tom Tom for Android. The map data is huge. I used this instead of Google Maps etc, because the automatic traffic rerouting has been best for me. Supposedly they had made it so the data can be moved to a SD card, but as I found out on their forums, that feature is not working. In one day I may drive anywhere from 150-300 miles so the real time traffic adjustments are life saver.

chris2k5

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

*eye rolls*

I detest the annoying poster in this thread saying it is normal and that PC's have it too because they use 46 apps which barely take up any space.
Get it through your head - not everyone uses apps that are under 200MB each.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

I agree it is fraud. My Verizon S4 only has 9GB out of the box, not the 16GB stated by Samsung/Verizon.
And it is not any buyer's fault. It is Samsung for advertising it that way.

If it was 12GB or 14GB like Apple I wouldn't be complaining because it is pretty close. But cutting the storage in half?! Ridiculous.

Samsung didn't advertise it to have that much storage. That's why it's specifically said that formatted storage will be less.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

Let's keep the discussion civil. There's no need to take a patronizing tone in this discussion.

Sent from my SGSIII

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Technically you can root your device and gain the ability to move apps to an SD card, but it is becoming more unstable and difficult to update apps, etc. This should not be considered a primary solution, especially for brand new users to Android.

If you are interested in rooting, I'd suggest these threads:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/so...ed-questions-concerns-about-rooting-here.html
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...893-how-root-galaxy-s4.html?highlight=rooting

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site

*eye rolls*

I detest the annoying poster in this thread saying it is normal and that PC's have it too because they use 46 apps which barely take up any space.
Get it through your head - not everyone uses apps that are under 200MB each.
You don't need to get all bent out of shape and defensive about it. All I was doing was stating my opinion with out trying to offend any one. I think that the issue is simple, if you are the type of a person that uses big apps then go get yourself a phone that has plenty of memory to suit your needs but don't come here complaining and insulting people about something that you went into by your own choice. You had 15 days to return your so called fraudulent phone (I hope you did), and if you didn't do it shame on you. On the other hand there are plenty of people out there that will do good with 9gb. Is it not normal for a hard drive to have less space after being formatted and having the operating system installed ?? so what is the difference ? when you buy a 30 gb HD what you get is less than that to begin with so is up to any one if they get it or not, therefore, DON'T BE A HATER.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site

You don't need to get all bent out of shape and defensive about it. All I was doing was stating my opinion with out trying to offend any one. I think that the issue is simple, if you are the type of a person that uses big apps then go get yourself a phone that has plenty of memory to suit your needs but don't come here complaining and insulting people about something that you went into by your own choice. You had 15 days to return your so called fraudulent phone (I hope you did), and if you didn't do it shame on you. On the other hand there are plenty of people out there that will do good with 9gb. Is it not normal for a hard drive to have less space after being formatted and having the operating system installed ?? so what is the difference ? when you buy a 30 gb HD what you get is less than that to begin with so is up to any one if they get it or not, therefore, DON'T BE A HATER.
But touch wizz uses up past the acaptable limit. 1-2GB I understand, but 5-6 GIGABYTES?? That's just too much.

Notsosure

May 21, 2013
Visit site

When I looked in to buying this phone I went through forums and google searches, read reviews and made certain that this is the phone for me. I knew of the 9 gig bc there were numerous forums with people complaining about it. And there were discussions after discussions on not being able to move apps on to the SD card. If I am dishing out that much money and signing a new 2 year contract I will need to know I can stay with this phone for 2 years. You cant claim fraud without proper proof. Without concrete evidence you want to go after a multinational corporation with loads of cash that can hire an expensive attorney and prob turn around and make you pay for their attorney fee in the end for wasting their time. You want to go after goliath you better be well equiped.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

Samsung didn't advertise it to have that much storage. That's why it's specifically said that formatted storage will be less.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Samsung does in fact advertise it as 16GB. They do in fact state that formatted storage will be less. BUT they never stated before, or at least at launch, exactly how much would be available to the user. It's not fraud purse' but it's down right misleading. The way they put it makes the average user believe that it has "around" 16GB for storage. The touchwiz bullshoy takes up most of that space for all the features that barely work. Why didn't they incorporate TW into the rom itself leaving "around" 14.xGB for the user? I know...most manufacturers, including HTC, don't do that but why not?? Samsung seems to want to do want they want and they have every right to do so....but at the users expense is unforgivable like all the sensor features. The S4, to me, is a phone for testing purposes. Testing what actually works, testing what people use, and testing what apple is going to sue for next. Instead of actual testing, they threw it out to the user to be the "pigs" for Samsung's "R&D".

Sent from my HTC One with no lag and in bright sunlight

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site

Maybe I missed something, but didn't the OP mention that they were giving their S3 away? Unless I'm mistaken, the S3 was launched with ICS. You can't move apps to the SD card on any OS from ICS on up.

I think the OP has done a good job of sucking us all in on a subject that has been beaten to death.

Posted via Android Central App

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

Maybe I missed something, but didn't the OP mention that they were giving their S3 away? Unless I'm mistaken, the S3 was launched with ICS. You can't move apps to the SD card on any OS from ICS on up.

I think the OP has done a good job of sucking us all in on a subject that has been beaten to death.

Posted via Android Central App

Agreed!

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

Come on people. I don't know about overseas, but in the U.S. EVERY carrier offers a 14 day return period. In some states longer. If you bought the phone and were unhappy to discover how much free memory it has, TAKE IT BACK! No one is forcing you to buy a Samsung GS4. If you're unhappy with it, vote with your wallet, and buy something else.

Grow up and take responsibility for yourself. Whining here will accomplish nothing. Letting Samsung know, by returning the phone, just might.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Let's keep the discussion civil. There's no need for the patronizing tone in some of the posts here. This is the second time that I've had to say this in the thread.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Tom Tom for Android. The map data is huge. I used this instead of Google Maps etc, because the automatic traffic rerouting has been best for me. Supposedly they had made it so the data can be moved to a SD card, but as I found out on their forums, that feature is not working. In one day I may drive anywhere from 150-300 miles so the real time traffic adjustments are life saver.

I would then counter-suggest finding a different app. Waze, Mapquest, Telenav, there are many.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site

I would then counter-suggest finding a different app. Waze, Mapquest, Telenav, there are many.

I would second Waze. It uses very little data and does a good job with traffic. It may be worth it to give it a try.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I would second Waze. It uses very little data and does a good job with traffic. It may be worth it to give it a try.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

I actually just looked at the Tom Tom app on Play. 33 MB download; even if unzipped to about 70 MB total, what is the other 2.13 GB accounting for?

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

I actually just looked at the Tom Tom app on Play. 33 MB download; even if unzipped to about 70 MB total, what is the other 2.13 GB accounting for?

Never used it myself but looking at it on the play store there is mention of this:

*** BEFORE YOU BUY THIS APP ***
1. Check that you have at least 2.3GB of free storage space, either on your internal phone memory or external storage. To look it up, go to your phone settings, and then data storage.
2. If there?s enough storage, buy the app using your Google account and install it on your phone. You now need to download the latest TomTom map before you can use the app.

So I'm guessing it downloads map data after the initial install. (yep, that sounds like a lot of map data)

Also, for the price of the app (it's quite pricey) I'd imagine someone that has already invested in it wouldn't want to use an alternative.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch