Samsung Update!! Moving apps to SD card now possible!!

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I think i get it now. but WHAT? Weird explanation for getting rid of sd card....to me anyways.

That explanation is also a year old. It's gotten more complicated since then.

Anyway, that wasn't the point of this thread. Sorry for contributing to the off-topicness of this last page.

I applaud Samsung for listening to users, but I can't ignore the fact that Google chose to get rid of SD card support for some very good reasons.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
That explanation is also a year old. It's gotten more complicated since then.

Anyway, that wasn't the point of this thread. Sorry for contributing to the off-topicness of this last page.

I applaud Samsung for listening to users, but I can't ignore the fact that Google chose to get rid of SD card support for some very good reasons.

Why do I feel like its going to be janky, like their SD card support already is?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
"We got tired of seeing OEMs include many GB of internal storage for music, while users were still running out of space for apps and data. This approach lets us merge everything on one volume, which is way better."

-- Dan Morrill, Android engineer at Google

What??? Isn't this why they SHOULD include a memory card???
If they are tired of seeing OEMs include a lot of space while people are still running out, a SD Card would help that by allowing people to put their music on an external storage while using the internal storage for apps. One big block of storage is WORST than 2 separate storages. If that one storage goes bad, you're pretty much fcuked

The only problem is the bloatware which Carriers and OEMs seem to be using to fill the rest of the internal space

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Now what is this thread about???...

Sorry could not resist...:)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-05-13-19-28-05.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-05-13-19-28-05.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 26

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
If they are tired of seeing OEMs include a lot of space while people are still running out, a SD Card would help that by allowing people to put their music on an external storage while using the internal storage for apps. One big block of storage is WORST than 2 separate storages. If that one storage goes bad, you're pretty much fcuked

The only problem is the bloatware which Carriers and OEMs seem to be using to fill the rest of the internal space

No. :p It's why flagship phones should have 32gb of internal storage in one partition minimum. At least that's my opinion of how it should be done. Anything after that is gravy.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

Even back when you could do APP to SD the internal memory was partitioned to include space for apps and then for storage. I can remember devices having 2 GB and 4GB for apps and no one said a peep... I think it is much better the way android is now with all the the internal memory going for the OS and apps. I still say 9GB is a crazy amount of space for apps.

jdoee100

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site

Agreed.... and i wonder what google thinks about samsung finally letting users moving apps to SD card possible? do they care?

Google might be peeved at them for allowing this.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Even back when you could do APP to SD the internal memory was partitioned to include space for apps and then for storage. I can remember devices having 2 GB and 4GB for apps and no one said a peep... I think it is much better the way android is now with all the the internal memory going for the OS and apps. I still say 9GB is a crazy amount of space for apps.

I remember that too. I didn't play games all that much back then, but now with games like Real Racing 3 more storage is required. Times, they are changing. :)

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Agreed.... and i wonder what google thinks about samsung finally letting users moving apps to SD card possible? do they care?

Google might be peeved at them for allowing this.

Even if they are they can't do anything about it. And if they COULD do something about it, I'm not sure they would given the market share that Samsung commands.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

To be fair about your statement, Apps have grown in size. Especially high resolution games.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

No it isn't 'worst'. One block alleviates all sorts of issues. There is a reason why Google abandoned it.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
To be fair about your statement, Apps have grown in size. Especially high resolution games.

True. As many have said, I think 32GB should be the minimum sizes right now and of course they will increase going forward. Maybe Samsung is hearing it since they are trying to help the 16GB models with this update. If they would start at 32GB, it would solve many issues. I would rather have all my apps on internal storage as opposed to APP to SD. Internal storage is so much faster and reliable in my opinion.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I'd say so. For the highest clocked processor on the market there is no reason for it to perform like it is.

One thing that's been overlooked by the SD talk is the new camera firmware in the update. I wonder if it'll make the camera perform on even ground with the One in lowlight. That could be huge.

No software update can make the S4 perform on even ground with the One in lowlight, because software can't fix hardware deficiencies. The lack of OIS will always be a limiting factor of the S4's camera, as will the much smaller pixels.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
No. :p It's why flagship phones should have 32gb of internal storage in one partition minimum. At least that's my opinion of how it should be done. Anything after that is gravy.

I don't think i could ever go back to using a phone without an SD Card. I used to have a Nexus and coming from a Galaxy S2 at the time, it was so annoying having to sacrifice space for all my music for some apps. It was also much easier to transfer music from an SD card from one phone to the next. I wouldn't have to re-sync 100's of songs again when switching devices. If Samsung ever took away MicroSD Cards, I'd be sending 100 letters of hate anonymously to them

Yeah I remember that to, but 9GB really isnt a lot considering the fact the apps nowadays are becoming like FULL PC programs, and good apps will be reaching 1GB if not 2GB. Majority of the smaller apps are much smaller sizes, but I still would prefer not using the space I use for my music for use of apps

With all that being said, I think Samsung is making a big step in giving it's users choices, rather than limiting options. From features, and now options to move apps to SD Cards, it will satisfy the majority of people. I'd rather have the option to use it at my choice than not have it at all and complain when I am running out of space

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
No software update can make the S4 perform on even ground with the One in lowlight, because software can't fix hardware deficiencies. The lack of OIS will always be a limiting factor of the S4's camera, as will the much smaller pixels.

My solution to lowlight pictures is to turn the lights on! LOL! Agreed the megapixels let more light in and I doubt that can be fixed with software but it can be improved upon. I have been impressed with the S4 camera pictures and video.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
My solution to lowlight pictures is to turn the lights on! LOL! Agreed the megapixels let more light in and I doubt that can be fixed with software but it can be improved upon.

Oh definitely. They can improve it, but it would never be on even footing just because of the technological limitations.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
My solution to lowlight pictures is to turn the lights on! LOL! Agreed the megapixels let more light in and I doubt that can be fixed with software but it can be improved upon. I have been impressed with the S4 camera pictures and video.

Yeah exactly, and Low Light on this phone is not THAT bad especially with the Night Mode...it definitely makes a difference