Screen problem with S4. Black and flickering then normal. Sensitive spot on screen causes it.

Nick Harris2

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Hello Everyone,

I purchased the Galaxy S4 Tuesday around noon. Wednesday night the screen went black but I could hear notifications and the buttons worked. I pulled the battery several times and eventually it came back on 2 hours later. When it came back on, the screen was super bright and had horizontal lines across the screen. I plugged it to the charger and eventually got it to return to normal after several reboots. It wasn't until today that I was able to mimic the symptoms. I bought the s view cover and had to press a little harder on the edges to get the back piece to attach and snap together. While doing this the screen when out again. I found out that right under the "g" in samsung and near the time in the top right corner, it flickers and goes out if you apply pressure. You don't even need to apply a lot of pressure just a little bit to see the screen flicker and go crazy. Anyone know what could be causing this? is there some cable or ribbon in that area under the screen? My carrier says they swap out the phone withing 14 days, but she gave me the number to a local samsung repair center instead. Now that I know what causes the problem, I will go back and try to get them to exchange it.

Has anyone else ran into this problem? If so what do you think it is exactly?

Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
RETURN THE PHONE NOW and insist on an exchange. What carrier do you have? I think it's BS for them to direct you to a repair center when it's within the 14 day time window. Make sure you review their return or satisfaction policy before you talk to them, so that you can be sure the policy is on your side, but seriously--do not settle for keeping this phone. It'll just cause more headaches in the future, and by then, you'll have fewer options.

Nick Harris2

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Just checked it now and it went totally black again and is not coming on. I've only had it a few days so not even enough time to load much stuff on it or customize it. I'm with Wind Mobile in Canada. It's getting boxed up and taken to the store asap tomorrow.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Here's their return policy: WIND Mobile | Is my device under warranty?

"If your device proves to be faulty within the first 14 days of purchase, return to the original store where you purchased your device, and upon determining your device?s warranty eligibility we will exchange it for a new device at no extra charge. The faulty device must be in pristine condition, and all accessories and packaging should be returned in order to receive a replacement device."

You should be ok. If they give you any guff, tell 'em I'll come by and give 'em the what for.

Nick Harris2

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Took it in today and right away the girl said " I gave you the address to the samsung repair center" as soon as she saw me. I told her it was within 14 days but then she said " I told you within 30 mins of use" which she didn't mention, the website doesn't even mention it. Thankfully I only made 2 phones calls with this and maybe a handful of texts since I had it. She called her manager on the phone to do the swap but he claims " I have to inspect it for damages" before he can give me a new one. I'm stuck with a haweii cheap burner for 2 days because the manager is at another location. He had her take the cover off and inspect the sides on the back of the phone for damages. I hope he is not a scammer who will claim I broke the phone then charge me the repair fee but exchange for another phone and pocket the fee.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What a pain. If it were me, I'd consider writing a letter to the CEO to complain about my treatment.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress