old vs new chargers

Vitis Vinifera

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
I recently got a new S4. My previous phone was a Galaxy Nexus. The clerk at the Verizon store told me I shouldn't use my old Galaxy Nexus chargers, for 2 reasons. 1 seems like BS, the other probably legit. The clerk said I should buy new chargers (usb, car) because:

1. My old chargers are rated lower and would take longer to charge my new phone. While I see that would be true, I just charge overnight so saving a few minutes doesn't matter.
2. My old chargers were 'bad' and 'shouldn't be plugged into my new phone'. I don't buy this and when I further inquired about exactly how it was bad to do so, I was given an evasive answer.

So if I'm right about my hunches, I don't need new chargers at all and can use them just fine. Does this check out?

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I recently got a new S4. My previous phone was a Galaxy Nexus. The clerk at the Verizon store told me I shouldn't use my old Galaxy Nexus chargers, for 2 reasons. 1 seems like BS, the other probably legit. The clerk said I should buy new chargers (usb, car) because:

1. My old chargers are rated lower and would take longer to charge my new phone. While I see that would be true, I just charge overnight so saving a few minutes doesn't matter.
2. My old chargers were 'bad' and 'shouldn't be plugged into my new phone'. I don't buy this and when I further inquired about exactly how it was bad to do so, I was given an evasive answer.

So if I'm right about my hunches, I don't need new chargers at all and can use them just fine. Does this check out?

Its not a couple minutes difference its a couple hours. I borrowed my coworkers s3 charger around midday and it gained only about 2% in 4ish hours. Same with my old car charger. Its sucks Lol.

Sent from my *PURPLE* Galaxy S4

Vitis Vinifera

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Even a couple hours doesn't matter. It charges over night and the S4 has a much, much better day life than my old G Nex. So, that's not the issue.

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Even a couple hours doesn't matter. It charges over night and the S4 has a much, much better day life than my old G Nex. So, that's not the issue.

If it doesn't affect you don't worry about. I don't think slow charging the battery will have a negative effect.

Sent from my *PURPLE* Galaxy S4

Adamsberg

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
1. It's a question of safeness. I'd not use a charger which can't provide enough amperage to charge the phone rapidly because the phone might exactly try to get this. At least I'd not use such a charger at night, without observation.
But maybe the old charger has the same output amperage as the S4's charger :)

2. It's the question how long the cable was used. This microUSB connectors wear out.
So it might be a good idea to use a new (Samsung) cable with a new phone.

Last edited:

AM759

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Using an old charger can make it charge alot slower but ive heard that its supposed to be better for the battery to charge slower.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337M

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dgsegds