Cannot access files on my Galaxy S4 with usb connection, how can I get this working?

A

AC Question

can not access files on my galaxy s4 with usb connection

i have a galaxy s4 with android 4.3 . after connecting through usb to xp the only thing i get is camera and scanner wizard but what i need is my drive and sd card files . i dont want to solve it with downloading apks because i connect my phone to different computers , i have debugged , restarted and download drivers but non has been worked please help me .

T Busby

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
When you connect your phone to your PC have you had your phone locked? If you press the power button and unlock it you can then access the file systems on the PC.

Last edited:

PainterArt

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Re: can not access files on my galaxy s4 with usb connection

Ok I think I figured this out or one possible reason. It worked for me.

The problem is the device name change on your phone in About has change from the last time it was plugged into your computer. I had been playing around and the name had changed from "My Name" (SGH-M919) to "My Name" (SGH-M91.

How I got my computer to recognize my phone over the USB cable and so I could figure out the above name change problem.
On my phone under USB computer connection I changed from Media Device (MTP) to Camera (PTP). (note this may not be necessary). I then restarted (rebooted) my phone while still plugged in with the USB to the computer. Computer is on. As the phone booted up the computer started to install device. In the Device Manager it correctly installed Samsung Mobile USB Composite Device under Universal Serial Bus controllers and under Other Devices it had Samsung_Android with a yellow triangle !. On my phone I changed Camera (PTP) to Media Device (MTP) and my computer installed the correct MTP device driver. Phone can now be seen under Portable Devices in Device Manager and in windows Explorer.

No you probably do not have to do the camera/media device switch. If you change your phones name you and want to connect it to a computer you prior had connected the phone to you can do the reboot the phone while connected to the computer USB trick.

Just to double check my solution. I went back and change my devices name "My Name" (SGH-M919) and connected it back to my computer and the computer recognized it immediately.

I am sure this will make many people happy and keep their hair in their heads though I have lost mine. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress