Google Voice as my Default SMS app?

dr_hfuhuhurr

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I can't for the life of me figure out how to use Google Voice as my default SMS app. My Note 3 and every other phone I've used in the past few years has all had this as an option. I don't really want to use hangouts as it's just not really setup as a SMS app yet.

Anyone else have this issue or a possible solutions? For now I'm using Hangouts but I'm not that happy about it.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I know in about a month, there will be some major changes to Google Voice. I had Voice as my SMS app on my Nexus 5 (no longer due to Liquid has an SMS app), I don't think it was set to default, but I still got text messages through it.

HoldenKarnofsky

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
The following worked for me:

1. Disable Message+ app (you can do this by dragging it from the launcher to the "Disable" icon")

2. Clear defaults for Messages app (you can do this by dragging it from the launcher to the "App info" icon, scroll down, tap "Clear defaults")

3. Do something that tries to send an SMS, such as clicking the SMS icon in one of your contacts.

When I originally tried to send an SMS, I only had two options (Message+ and Messages) but after doing #1 and #2, the same action gave me several options including Google Voice and Hangouts.

HoldenKarnofsky

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
Update: it looks like this didn't work sustainably (Messages seemed to have gotten set to the default again on restart). When I made Messages "Stop" (in app info) rather than just clearing defaults, my phone started using Hangouts for SMS; when I disabled Hangouts, I finally got the desired result sustainably. But this had the downside that I had no way of receiving normal SMS (i.e., SMS to my non-Google Voice #). I ultimately turned Messages back on and am just going to use the Google Voice widget to send SMS.

JudH

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
GolfDriver97: Where does one get that information, and more about the upcoming release of GV?
Actually the rumored change is that GV features, including voice calls like GrooveIP provided and that the iPhone app already has, will be incorporated into Hangouts for Android and the current GV app will be dropped.

ccclapp

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
If anyone is still looking at this, here is my solution/workaround...

Issue: if using GV on Android some apps e.g. phone and others, except GV app (and possibly except hangouts works, but I dont like it), will send SMS with your carrier caller # and not your GV #, because GV cannot be set to the default sms app. the way to fix this is...

NOTE: the following assumes you never want your carrier # to show for sms and that you only want your GV # to show

1) delete any sms aps: settings -> apps ->(pick the app)-> uninstall
2) disable hangouts: settings -> apps ->Hangouts-> disable
3) make an sms from contacts or 3rd party dialer etc (I use exDialer)
4) you get a choice to send sms via GV and possibly other choices such as Skype. Select GV, and select always
Note: if you have any other SMS apps e.g. messenger, messaging, etc THESE MUST BE UNINSTALLED, otherwise after 1st use, sms will revert back to these.
5) from now on, sms will be sent via GV # (because there are no other installed options to override GV for SMS). (again is there are other options, Android will revert to those soon)
Note: I find the native Phone app, thinks there is no sms available so no option to send sms from phone app. As stated above I use exDialer for many reasons and that gives option for sms or call. If done as stated above sms will be via gv#, not carrier #.

(Side Note: the main reason I use exdialer is to be able to search like on iOS, meaning a few letters of 1st or last name, then a few of the other and/or few letters of any note/address or other criteria. This is in contrast to most Android phone/contact searches, which are far less flexible. that is an aside from the topic at hand, but others may want to know)

The result of the above is to maintain all sms via GV # and stay out of hangouts.

G-Ride

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
If anyone is still looking at this, here is my solution/workaround...

Issue: if using GV on Android some apps e.g. phone and others, except GV app (and possibly except hangouts works, but I dont like it), will send SMS with your carrier caller # and not your GV #, because GV cannot be set to the default sms app. the way to fix this is...

NOTE: the following assumes you never want your carrier # to show for sms and that you only want your GV # to show

1) delete any sms aps: settings -> apps ->(pick the app)-> uninstall
2) disable hangouts: settings -> apps ->Hangouts-> disable
3) make an sms from contacts or 3rd party dialer etc (I use exDialer)
4) you get a choice to send sms via GV and possibly other choices such as Skype. Select GV, and select always
Note: if you have any other SMS apps e.g. messenger, messaging, etc THESE MUST BE UNINSTALLED, otherwise after 1st use, sms will revert back to these.
5) from now on, sms will be sent via GV # (because there are no other installed options to override GV for SMS). (again is there are other options, Android will revert to those soon)
Note: I find the native Phone app, thinks there is no sms available so no option to send sms from phone app. As stated above I use exDialer for many reasons and that gives option for sms or call. If done as stated above sms will be via gv#, not carrier #.

(Side Note: the main reason I use exdialer is to be able to search like on iOS, meaning a few letters of 1st or last name, then a few of the other and/or few letters of any note/address or other criteria. This is in contrast to most Android phone/contact searches, which are far less flexible. that is an aside from the topic at hand, but others may want to know)

The result of the above is to maintain all sms via GV # and stay out of hangouts.

Nothing I use prompts gv to be selected as the default application. For example, in following your instructions I remove all messaging apps and hangouts. Then select an sms via contacts and gv opens (also downloaded and tried exdialer). However there is no prompt to select "just once" or "always". Additionally, the messaging setting under default applications is greyed out and not selectable.

Thoughts or other comments?

Jedijak

Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
This reqires rooting for many systems, eh? Otherwise, how can someone delete the system default & carrier SMS apps... not possible. Default Samsung app takes over -- GV does not show up as an option

Jedijak

Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
This seems that it may require rooting for my system... otherwise, how can I delete the system default SMS app? Deleted all (disabled Verizon app) and the default Samsung app takes over -- GV does not show up as an option... Ideas?