Galaxy S5: Is any replacement battery better than the original?

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: Is any replacement battery better than the original?

I would only buy OEM (made by the manufacturer such as Samsung ) as far as batteries are concerned.

dd4

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site

There is no doubt this is very serious and should not happen to anyone.

Samsung Galaxy S2 explodes in girl's pocket leaving her with horrific leg injuries which need skin transplant - Mirror Online

But given that the family would not return the phone to Samsung for testing it could well be that a 3rd party battery or charger was used. You always tend to find that when things like this do happen and they are properly investigated it tends to be the fault of a 3rd party piece of hardware not approved for use with the device. This is not me sticking up for Samsung either. Similar things have happened with iPhones and usually it turns out to be a cheap non approved charger and not the phone itself.

It's not worth the risk. Buy a good quality battery from a trusted seller. You know what they say about if it seems to good to be true... It probably is.

AnnieVan

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

When I registered my S5, Samsung immediately sent me an email for 50% off any purchase from them, $50 and under. If you haven't registered it and gotten that yet, you might try it.

Posted via Android Central App

dd4

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site

When I registered my S5, Samsung immediately sent me an email for 50% off any purchase from them, $50 and under. If you haven't registered it and gotten that yet, you might try it.

Posted via Android Central App

I have tried to register my S5 by signing into my Samsung account and then going to register your product but in the dropdown for product name I can not find the S5 by name or model number. How did you register yours?

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

It's a two step process. If you haven't already, register an account on the Samsung site. Then log into the Samsung app store on your phone. You will get an email with the rewards.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The father is full of it. It isn't getting hushed up just by giving it to Samsung. The only way it gets hushed up is by him agreeing to a settlement, which could only come after Samsung investigates.

There was a story last year as well about an s3 i believe exploding in a girl's pant. It happened to be that a third party battery was used.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

dd4

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site

It's a two step process. If you haven't already, register an account on the Samsung site. Then log into the Samsung app store on your phone. You will get an email with the rewards.

Hmm did all that. I made a Samsung account when I set the phone up but no email with the voucher code. Perhaps its only in America or something. I am in the UK

deebee09

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
The original battery that comes with a new phone is the largest and best size for the product at the time of design. Newer batteries with larger capacities came out later with more advanced and efficient technology for the same type of battery. One thing to consider is that the phone and the battery could get warmer with a larger capacity and if getting above a max level of temperature that can be handled without damaging the phone or battery or even worse having a battery blow or burn up.

badbrandon71

Nov 21, 2016
Visit site

So you either work for Samsung or you sell regular size batteries and chargers or your just NAIVE. Samsung and every other phone company have access too tons of technology that includes batteries that could hold twice as much power and more. If they put all the technology into a phone right now no one would need to buy a new phone every 6 months. Just look at all the companies, especially APPLE. They barely change the phones at all and say it's all new. Oh yaaaaaeeey, they put another megapixel in the camera. It's so much better now. You really need to get your fact up too speed.

nomadh

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I have the big anker aftermarket battery that comes with its own case. It has to, the battery is triple sized and powered. Its been flawless for 2 years now. I can stream all day, do calls, browse at lunch, look up products. Then at home still stream in the background, and browse the web while watching tv atnight. and still have 20% left.
Its heavier but only really too heavy in a shirt breast pocket. Fine in a pants pocket, jacket or the hand.
It charges and discharges predictably and the battery chip can always give the correct status.

Joe Volpe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site

Very true. I usually buy batteries directly from Samsung using the 50% off coupon.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

How do you use a 50% off coupon? where'd you get it? can I use that option? I'm on ebay looking at 5400 mAh!?! And I keep thinking my phone is NOT designed for this. I have an s5 active and I'm out with it constantly. where I work has a very bad signal so it's alway on the charger. Now the battery is definitely weak. idk lmk about the coupond and if anybody has experienced a good situation with a 3rd party larger mAh battery. (same size and seller has great rep)??
thanks Joe

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site

How do you use a 50% off coupon? where'd you get it? can I use that option? I'm on ebay looking at 5400 mAh!?! And I keep thinking my phone is NOT designed for this. I have an s5 active and I'm out with it constantly. where I work has a very bad signal so it's alway on the charger. Now the battery is definitely weak. idk lmk about the coupond and if anybody has experienced a good situation with a 3rd party larger mAh battery. (same size and seller has great rep)??
thanks Joe

Unfortunately, Samsung quit making OEM batteries for the S5 a few years ago. From what I have been reading, ALL of the supposed 'OEM' batteries on ebay are chinese knock offs.

Mycrossover

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
While it might be physically possible to build a slightly higher capacity battery in the same case, large increases are impossible. Those extended capacity batteries do it by making the battery thicker and supplying a deeper replacement phone back. Cleims of even matching the original capacity are often exaggerated, especially on ebay. Forgeries of OEM batteries are rampant. After looking at dozens, I have yet to find one marked Samsung or otherwise that does not have a significant number of bad reviews. You often see something like 41/2 stars but reading the reviews tells a different story.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38