Galaxy S5 black screen upon wake up

isurvivorz

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Just to update on this situation for everyone here, sorry i haven't be able to reply to any of ur posts due to exams and what not, but I've done a factory reset for my phone, and so far i havent run into the problem YET, and i hope im not speaking too soon, I factory reset my phone 1 day after i started this thread, and the problem hasnt turned up every since. One thing to keep in mind: before i reset, i put my phone on battery saving mode ALL the time, and after i reset, i didnt do that anymore, I only put it on battery saving when i know the phone hit 40% and that i wont be running into the charger any time soon.
RECAP: I factory reset my phone 1 day after i started this thread, and so far the problem hasnt turned up (lets hope im not speaking too soon), Battery saving mode COULD be the cause to this problem because before i reset, i use battery saving at ALL times, after reset i stopped.
Keep this thread going, we need to spread the words around and hopefully it get to Samsung!

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys, good news!! I have had the same issue all everyone in this thread and tried all the fixes suggested too (none worked). On Saturday May 10, AT&T released a firmware update for S5 that is suppose to fix this issue. I downloaded and applied it on last night. Will advise if it fixes issue but I assume you will all want to try it as well. Just go to Settings --> About Device --> Check for Software updates. It is 40MB so you may want to do over wifi. I did a second reboot after the install did a reboot/update and everything has been fine since.

I don't know about the other carriers but assume since this came from Samsung all will release an update soon.

kirankalluru

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I had the same issue from past 20 days. This is my second S5. I got the new update from AT&T. Now the black screen issue is gone. Very much relaxed now. But strange whatever type of lock like Pattern, fingerprint, password, when phone is locked it is showing only Swipe but not the other lock options. does anyone have this same problem ?

Cody Still

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
After I updated my S5 began locking every couple of minutes. It actually became worse than before.... I'm thinking it has to do with the RAM maxing out and freezing. I can't play any games without clearing everything first and even after doing that I only get to play a game for about 5 minutes before it completely freezes.

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
My phone froze right after I posted my last comment. I'm seriously starting to hate this phone......

Exchange it. There are millions of S5 users that are having a great time with their phone. There's obviously some lemons out there. You're one of those people that ended up with a lemon.

Jennifer Stathos

May 17, 2014
Visit site
I'd love to try a factory reset, but my AMOLED wont turn on at all. Itbworks during the reboot, showing the Samsung logo and Verizon screen, but then goes black once the OS kicks in.

I declare shenanigans. I got rid of a POS iphone for a POS s5? Ugh.

Dizfunctions

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
I'd love to try a factory reset, but my AMOLED wont turn on at all. Itbworks during the reboot, showing the Samsung logo and Verizon screen, but then goes black once the OS kicks in.

I declare shenanigans. I got rid of a POS iphone for a POS s5? Ugh.

Happens sometimes. If you can, return it and try a different android phone. There are some other great ones out there.

avooo86

May 22, 2014
Visit site
So my Samsung S5 screen went all grainy and then the black screen of death came on.
Unlike most of you... mine hasn't come back on at all. I can't even Reset because when i turn it off and on i get no Screen at all.

I've tried to hold down the Volume/Home/Power to Reset but can't get it to work.

Really frustrating - currently using my crappy old iPhone 4!

Reading this, at least i am not the only one.
Any tips?

JimA

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
So my Samsung S5 screen went all grainy and then the black screen of death came on.
Unlike most of you... mine hasn't come back on at all. I can't even Reset because when i turn it off and on i get no Screen at all.

I've tried to hold down the Volume/Home/Power to Reset but can't get it to work.

Really frustrating - currently using my crappy old iPhone 4!

Reading this, at least i am not the only one.
Any tips?

Stupid question, but did you try pulling the battery?

avooo86

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Haha ye i tried that after waiting an hour for it to hopefully fix itself.

it did nothing...
took the SD Card out
still nothing.
everything works fine but with no screen... so it's real fun.

avooo86

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Update.

Took my S5 to the local Telstra store expecting to just get a replacement as it is clearly a faulty handset... however.
the "Technician" took it to the back and looked it over and came back and claims it has a 'scratch' which no one else could actually see.
So he says they won't replace it and i have to use my insurance and get it sent off and probably pay $180 for a replacement.

surely this is not right?!
i have had the phone for barely a month and never dropped it or anything it is 100% faulty.

what can i do here?

avooo86

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I'll try a different store tomorrow its midnight now where i am ...
just can't believe the lack of help and ridiculous 'physical damage' claim they threw at me.

JimA

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Yup. When I am treated like that, I walk out and never go back. Eventually someone will get the message.

bwar85

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Same issue here with the s5 g900t from tmobile. I got the phone, installed the appropriate cf-auto-root, then start getting the black screen wake ups. I was able to trigger them easily by hitting the power button once every second. After 3-5 wake/sleep cycles it would go black. I decided to unroot and flashed G900TUVU1ANCH_G900TTMB1ANCH_TMB.zip (stock tmobile rom) and did NOT install cf-auto-root. No idea what the problem was but I havent been able to create the black screen since. Hope this helps someone..

steve Sharra

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
I had the same same problem on my Att s5 , found out i had power saving mode on and cpu restricted, turn off power saving mode and no problems. But the black screen only happen when I was talking on the phone and end the call the screen went black with only captive keys lit up....so no power saving mode on it has been ok. Hope this helps some of you

Posted via Android Central App

Krazzzy

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Try turning off multi-window. My phone was working fine until a few days ago. I thought it was because my son had been using kids mode, or from a few new apps I installed.

I systematically reversed everything i did and tested after each step. Nothing seemed to work. Then I noticed that I had inadvertently turned on multi window. I turned it off about an hour ago and my screen hasnt blanked when waking.

Ill keep testing though. 1 hour isn't a very long test time.

andrewjs18

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I almost forgot I had an s5!

I was having this problem right after I bought the phone, then started having a problem where the phone would reboot, go to the sprint spark screen and then just keep rebooting itself and never getting past that point. I surmise it was a botched OTA update that was pushed from Sprint that was causing the phone to reboot itself continuously.

Anyhow, I ended up pulling out my trusty s2, had sprint move my data connections from the s5 to my s2 and have been using my s2 for the past 3 weeks +. While the s2 is old, has a cracked screen and can't run some apps I like, it NEVER misses a beat when I ask it to do something I know its hardware/software can handle.

I did end up doing a factory reset on my s5 and then downloaded and installed the OTA update from Sprint and haven't noticed any reboots or the black screen hang ups when pushing the power button; however, my use with the phone has been minimal since I haven't had the time to get Sprint to switch my data connection back over to the s5 yet. I figure I should do this sooner than later as I spent over $250 for the phone....

maybe tomorrow or Thursday...