are you still really happy with your s5?

Lynx

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
You don't have to unlock the phone to use the camera.

Don't use the finger print scanner then. FYI, a future update will make it run smoother.

I'm saying using it from the lock screen. It's absolutely awful.

And why have a feature that is terrible (fingerprint scanner). I need security on my phone since I use it for work.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Netherscourge

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I love the phone.

My ONLY complaint is that I can't get Notifications or Widgets on the Lockscreen without having to swipe down the Notification Panel.

I hope Samsung adds an update to make the Lockscreen customizable with Notifications and Widgets. Seems like a really strange feature to omit.

I have my phone at my desk all day long - seems silly to have to unlock it every time I want to see an update or a specific widget.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Somewhat I just move on too quickly. I upgraded to Sony XPERIA Z2 which I love even more. I still have my S5.

Pro Z2

bogdaryl

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I've had mine since the day before launch day ( I have a friend that works at the AT&T store ) and I still love it. Of course no phone and I mean no phone will be the end all be all for every individual person out there. Each of us can find a flaw or lacking feature. There will always be the next big thing in some shape or form and I don't beat myself up about not having waited for something else... just my thoughts

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Yes I'm still happy with my s5. I've had mine since launch day. I haven't had any issues so far ( fingers crossed). I'm not worried about s5 prime or any other new phone. There's also going to be something new.

Posted via Android Central App

1Coopgt

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I've had mine since the day before launch day ( I have a friend that works at the AT&T store ) and I still love it. Of course no phone and I mean no phone will be the end all be all for every individual person out there. Each of us can find a flaw or lacking feature. There will always be the next big thing in some shape or form and I don't beat myself up about not having waited for something else... just my thoughts

Spot on .

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I love the phone.

My ONLY complaint is that I can't get Notifications or Widgets on the Lockscreen without having to swipe down the Notification Panel.

I hope Samsung adds an update to make the Lockscreen customizable with Notifications and Widgets. Seems like a really strange feature to omit.

I have my phone at my desk all day long - seems silly to have to unlock it every time I want to see an update or a specific widget.

It seems that I may be promoting this app a lot lately, but it seems that people are missing lockscreen widgets a lot, so here again, Take a look at C Locker from the Play Store and you won't miss anything that Samsung or any other company can add to their smartphones, great app.

Look for a thread that I created on Saturday and should be in the most recent, as It has been posted recently, you Can see more details there.

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I've had my S5 since April 11 and I am still really impressed with it. I still can't get over with how awesome the Super AMOLED HD display is. I also am very impressed with the battery life on it. I came from the Nexus 4 so the S5 is quite a big upgrade for me.

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I have had it my phone for 1 week. Not happy with rumors about LG G3 and S5 prime. I should have waited for one more month ideally.

There will ALWAYS be something better...later...than what you have at the moment. It's an endless run...especially with mobile devices.

LJ Washington

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
IPHONE transplant here. I am happy with the GS5 not head over heals; but happy. Screen is wonderful but coming from and iPhone the plastic feels cheap in a strange way. Battery life is a big concern, but I've grown to love the Low Power feature, but not the Ultra Low Power. This "Low Power" feature give the phone real power legs.
Camera is great and quick but not that much better than the iPhone.
The size to my surprise is perfect for my hands & eyes. (Could be a song)
Love the S-view but wish it was more polishes for example the ability to add more views if you wish.
Love the selectable "Pull Down" features icons but I feel the iPhone's "Pull Up" icons work better.
The rumored "S5 Pro" release bugs me a lot. Because it confirms my feelings that they didn't polish all the features.
If I wasn't in desperate need of a phone and wanting the latest available; I would have waited for the iPhone 6s.

-- But the bottom line, end of the day, when all is said and done, when the 14 day return period came; I choose to STAY with the GS5!

mr.wiggly

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I still like my S5 only complaint is the charging door. Cant decide if i want the gear 2 or the android wear watch

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm saying using it from the lock screen. It's absolutely awful.

And why have a feature that is terrible (fingerprint scanner). I need security on my phone since I use it for work.

I'm surprised your work would allow the fingerprint scanner. Our IT restricts it to passwords only.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Still Mostly Harmless

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
The more time I spend with this phone the more I can get over it's flaw (plastic, lackluster design). The screen and camera are excellent and the battery life is beyond my expectation. The only major hurdle is with rooting. If the At&t version doesn't get root soon then it will be a deal buster for me.

Drunder40

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Went from an S3 to the S5 about 3 weeks ago and absolutely love the S5.. Don't see me trading it in before the 2 years.. perfect size, bright/brilliant screen, Data/Wifi fantastic, voice solid.. and very responsive. Oh yea teh battery .. wow just wow... sooooo much longer between charges. It's a winner!!

anon(577849)

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I love my S5! The screen is superb, as is battery life and "ultra-power saving mode" is a life saver! I'm slowly discovering more things all the time, especially in the camera app. There's a learning curve with all the new features, but it's awesome. I didn't consider anything else, but only because I loved my S3 so much and I wanted the water-resistance, especially since my cell phone is also my house phone (I have no landline). Touchwiz isn't a problem for me because I've been an ADWex user (pick your launcher though, there are zillions of them from which to choose), so I don't have to worry about it, but I almost kept Touchwiz this time because it's so much faster and has almost zero lag now. The only reason I didn't is because I like the ability to edit icons that comes with so many of the launchers).

As for the fingerprint issues: I set up all three fingerprints for the same thumb. That way there are some 30 fingerprints and it only has to be close to one of them. Now I open the phone with a one-handed swipe of my thumb on the first try, nearly every time. But you have to get the speed right. I'd suggest giving that a try and see if after a few days it gets better. It's muscle memory; for me it was automatic after a week.

Last edited:

philosopherisdog

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
The S5 is a good phone. My only complaint was the audio quality when connecting via the headphone jack. I listen to music from my phone a lot, both through headphones and an auxillary cable in the car that connects to a tape deck.

The sound quality when connected via the headphone jack is just not as clear or loud as it should be.

My Galaxy Nexus is much louder and clearer than my S5, which is very odd.

Other than that, the phone is pretty nice. Nice camera, nice battery life, great screen. Very fast and zippy.

I recently also got the newest iPad Air and honestly, it is not any nicer than the S5 in terms of the screen quality and the zippiness of the device. Actually, the iPad crashes and freezes up occasionally, and in the few weeks of using the S5, I had one freeze up.

dkp23

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I'd had the phone heading towards two weeks, new android user coming from iphone/windows phone.

Good:
Google integration
screen

Bad:

A lot of things.

First, i hate having to configure the hell out of this thing to get it to work the way i want it. With all the bubbly noises and all the notification sounds and such, gotta go configure this thing endlessly. I only want certain things to have notifications and sound, but not all and i can't do it all in one place.

The battery has been an issue, i am thinking it could be the location setting, so i turned it off and see how it goes. Since i turned it off, now if i want to use google maps, i have to turn it back on which is a quick thing to do by an annoyance. Also, google maps should work out of the box in terms of navigation, took me about five minutes trying to use maps navigation but wouldn't since the location was not set to high accuracy or whatever it is, default should be high accuracy and let the user change it to wifi or gps. Naturally, makes sense to have navigation work by default out of the box because that is what most people expect.

Bluetooth to car, it is horrid. It does not connect automatically when i get into the car, i have to toggle bluetooth and pair it every time. Also the fast forward and rewind doesnt work properly when using bluetooth, it is actually pretty bad. I've never had these issues pairing an iphone or windows phone.

no toast notifications? only the light notifies you of a new notification, correct? I wish the OS had toast notifications, sometimes i rather see the toast and quickly read it instead of having to go into the phone and unlocking it to see what it is.

Can't pull down notification center from lock screen? At least i dont have to go through unlocking the phone to quickly see what the notifciations are.

Fignerprint scanner, doesnt even work properly, it only works like 1/4 times when i tried it and the most annoying part of is you have a separate Pin instead of your normal pin when you fail multiple finger print attemps. Why is that even logical to do? You would expect that if you cant login, it will prompt for your normal pin, but no, it wants a different one. Annoying

I can't change the volume without unlocking the phone? meaning not until i enter my pin can i adjust the volume? is there a work around?

the speakers suck on this phone (no, it isn't my hearing)

Overall, quite annoying using this phone and reading the forums, i am not the only one having these issues. I didn't expect too my simplicity using this phone since i understand the phone has a lot gonig on and a lot of different features, but the OS should be able to do simple things very simply.